• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dick Saslaw's pre-session survey

grylnsmn

Sadly, Dick Saslaw is my state Senator. Like all of you, I'd love to make him unemployed, but that's not likely anytime soon.

He has put out his 2013 pre-session survey on issues, and included three questions on firearms. Let's make sure he knows what we really think on the issue:

http://www.dicksaslaw.com/survey2013

TFred

Typical, those questions are so biased in their wording, they're useless. Well, useless to anyone who actually wants to know what their constituents think about the issues.

TFred

2a4all

Incredible questions! Florida doesn't have a "Shoot first" law!

If you respond to this survey, you'll either wholly support his misguided notions or (worse) be portrayed as unhinged gun-crazy maniacs. Don't take the bait.

Isn't he the same guy who thinks that Payday Lending isn't a bad thing?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

If you respond to this survey, you'll either wholly support his misguided notions or (worse) be portrayed as unhinged gun-crazy maniacs. Don't take the bait.

He already portrays us as gun-crazy maniacs. He's the arrogant, power-hungry thug who incautiously told an elevator mate at Lobby Day a few years ago, (paraphrase) "Looks like the whole cast of Deliverance is here today." This earned him the nickname "Banjo" Saslaw.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not in his district so did not bother submitting any responses.

stay safe.

However, if I had, these are what they would have been:
[h=3]The “Fiscal Cliff” & Virginia[/h]As of this writing, the fiscal cliff is still looming on the horizon. Our region and the Commonwealth is at risk for severe financial impacts, both on the revenue and expense sides. In most scenarios, the state budget will need to be amended. The General Fund (GF) covers a myriad of items with the largest appropriation of funds going to public education, health & human services, higher education and public safety. As a result of expense reductions, Virginia’s most recent state budget reflects spending that is similar to 2008.
1. Do you think we should continue to cut additional funds from Pre-K through 12 public education?- None -YesNoDon't Know - YES. We aren't getting anything for the money we have been throwing at them thus far.

2. Do you think we should continue to cut additional funds from higher education?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES. Same as above.

3. Do you think we should continue to cut additional funds from Public Safety?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES. ditto

4. Do you think we should continue to cut additional funds from Health & Human Services?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES. ditto

5. Would you be in favor of raising the sales tax (currently at 5%)?- None -YesNoDon't Know NO. Learn to live within your means - we have to.

6. Would you support repealing the Car Tax reimbursement?- None -YesNoDon't Know NO. One of the few good ideas.

[h=3]Moving People and Goods in Virginia[/h]One of the biggest threats to our economy and quality of life is transportation gridlock. Along with an aging infrastructure, the Commonwealth’s current roads are clogged, public transportation is limited and rail needs to be expanded to the outer burbs. Due to necessity, we have been depleting our road construction fund for maintenance of Virginia’s roadways. We are also bonded to the maximum without the ability to borrow additional funds after 2015.
It has been suggested that we take money from the General Fund – the source of revenue for public education, higher education, social services and public safety – to attribute toward more road construction.

7. Would you agree that General Fund money should be used for road building?- None -YesNoDon't Know NO. You created a source of funds for that. Stop dipping into my wallet. If aditional funds for a specific area are desired, let the citizens of that area consider how to fund the addition.

8. If yes, would you approve of fund reductions to pre-K & elementary education?- None -YesNoDon't Know TRICK QUESTION. See response to #1.

9. Would you approve of cutting services such as health care for uninsured children?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES. Obamacare will cover them, so there is no need to the State to spend money.

10. Would you approve of reducing the state funding for the retirement of firefighters?- None -YesNoDon't Know Don't know. Never bothered to learn about how their retirement is funded/calculated. But I have a feeling this is a trick question.

It has been 26 years since the gas tax was raised in Virginia. Increasing the current tax (17 cents/gallon) by one cent will generate up to $44M for maintenance or construction.

11. Would you favor raising the gas tax by one penny?- None -YesNoDon't Know NO. See response to #7.

12. Would you favor raising the gas tax a penny per year for 5 years?- None -YesNoDon't Know NO. ditto

[h=3]Choice & Women’s Health Issues[/h]Last year, the most controversial social issue debated at the General Assembly was a bill requiring a mandatory ultrasound prior to having an abortion. Two years ago a bill passed requiring clinics that perform an abortion procedure to have the same physical standards as hospitals. (You may recall Attorney General Cuccinelli insisted these standards be applied without grandfathering existing facilities). There will be similar bills presented in January, which are exclusively intended to chip away at the Supreme Court decision, Roe v. Wade.

13. Would you be in favor of banning any abortions after 20 weeks of gestation?- None -YesNoDon't Know TRICK QUESTION. SCOTUS continues to strike down attempts. Why waste time & money on a losing battele?

14. Should consideration be taken in cases of rape and/or incest?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES. It better!

15. Should a woman be forced to carry a child to term if her life is endangered?- None -YesNoDon't Know NO. Did you really have to ask?

16. Do you support AG Cuccinnelli’s action over the Board of Health Regulators?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES.

17. Are you concerned over the prominence of restricting a woman’s right of Choice?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES. Actually, hell yes!

[h=3]Guns & Public Safety[/h]Effective July 1, 2012, the purchase of “one gun a month” was repealed. This was a measure that stood the test of 20 years and came at the request of neighboring states with Virginia being the source of weapons used in most criminal activity in their respective communities. Over 40 gun related initiatives were introduced during the last General Assembly and we anticipate the same for the upcoming session.

18. Do you support having a background check on all gun sales in VA? : - None -YesNoDon't Know NO.

19. Would you favor a law that forces public colleges and universities to allow students to carry concealed weapons on campus?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES. Especially if it "forces" them to do so.

20. Do you favor expanding accepted VA common law governing self defese to include “shoot first” laws like the one in Florida?- None -YesNoDon't Know TRICK QUESTION. VA already has "stand your ground" and castle doctrine. What we need is civil immunity.

[h=3]Lifting the ban on Uranium Mining[/h]A Uranium mine is located just north of Danville, VA (approximately 200 miles from our region). Thirty years ago, the General Assembly banned the mining of Uranium in the Commonwealth. Recently, the National Academy of Sciences released a study on the subject. Advocacy groups on both sides of the issue of mining are referencing the merits of this study.

21. Have you read or heard about the issue of Uranium mining in VA?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES.

22. Based on your knowledge of the issue, would you support lifting the ban?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES.

23. Do you believe we have the technology to safely mine this resource?- None -YesNoDon't Know YES.

MagiK_SacK

I think by shoot first he is trying to take a stab a SYG/Castle Doctrine laws.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
farm-show.jpg
[/IMG]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yep! That's why I said 'I think'. ;)

No question that's what he's talking about and there is at least one so called Castle Doctrine bill that's been introduced this year. A very bad one so Saslaw killing it would be a good thing.

MagiK_SacK

No question that's what he's talking about and there is at least one so called Castle Doctrine bill that's been introduced this year. A very bad one so Saslaw killing it would be a good thing.

I kinda figured. That was just the first time I have heard the term 'shoot first' law.

va_tazdad

About what I expected

From Dirty Dick. Sadly, this individual has ANY input in laws of Virginia!

His "survey" is a joke, and I doubt he truly cares what anyone but HIM thinks.

That is the way he has impressed me in the past.