• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois detectives booted from Denny's for OC.

Superlite27

Remember that this is Illinois.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...e5e-5d8f-9e9d-403f18b38948.html?mode=comments

The incident began about 10 a.m. Tuesday when five Belleville detectives went into the Denny’s at 1130 South Illinois Street, ordered food and began to eat. The detectives had badges on their belts or on chains around their necks, but they weren’t in uniform.

Belleville Capt. Donald Sax said restaurant manager David Rice then approached and told one of the detectives that a diner had complained about seeing one of the detectives carrying a gun.

Even though the detective told Rice all at the table were police officers, Rice insisted the detectives take their guns back out to their cars, Sax said.

My opinion is a little mixed on this, but I can't help but smugly note the irony in which officers take such offense when treated in the exact manner many of us are treated each and every day.

Yep. Crazy OC'ers. Businesses should feel free to call us police officers if you have any problems, and we'll come running to eject them from your establishment and chastise them for daring to openly carry their guns......

......wha?....you mean WE'RE not welcome? But we're police officers! See our badges? You can't ask us to leave for simply being armed! That's for everyone else!

Keylock

Maybe the diner was a pissed off gun owner. If I lived in Illinois I'd do the same. :)

Hell, I might do that the next time I go to Hooters and watch the Brinks guy come in armed carrying a bag of worthless FRN's which I've witnessed twice.

Last edited:

matt2636

well police arnt exempt from private property laws. then again the police, by law, do not have to respond to your property to protect you.then again it is illinois. not really part of america. its black on the map. just kidding we still accept you ILL!!!

sudden valley gunner

Is Deanimator visiting Illinois? :p

The irony is funny. And I have no mixed feelings on it, if they were asked to leave private property they should leave private property, matters not to me what uniform or badges they wear.

Last edited:

OC for ME

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

In most cases, refusal of service is warranted where a customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/restaurants-right-to-refuse-service.html
So, a cop and his badge permit a cop to force a citizen to endure the presence of a gun in their midst. The Chief has directed that his officers only go to that store if called to do so in the course of their official duties. What is ironic is that the Chief is making a boycott of that store a punishable offense, a condition of employment possibly, if any of his officers violate his "department policy."

Petty tyrants.......
A petty tyrant is a tormentor.......Someone who either holds the power of life and death over warriors or simply annoys them to distraction. - Don Juan

WalkingWolf

So ironic in so many ways. Belleville policy used to be that officers must conceal carry when in plain clothes, either that policy is being ignored or it has changed. In a state where open carry is illegal for the citizens, and the populace of the state knows it the police should not be doing it. Anybody can buy a badge, and most people in Illinois know this also.

Jordysoso

I don't mean to thread jack, but in relation to Illinois, they are now trying to ban all semi autos. Rifles, shotguns, handguns, anything. Just figured I'd share that.

sudden valley gunner

I don't mean to thread jack, but in relation to Illinois, they are now trying to ban all semi autos. Rifles, shotguns, handguns, anything. Just figured I'd share that.

Welcome to the forum.

Of course when you monopolize the use of force to the "authorities" who exempt themselves from such bans, that is exactly what you get, disarmament.

Jordysoso

Thanks man, and the co-founder of the second amendment, George Mason, said, "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." Isn't slavery illegal?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Badges are pretty observeable.

Maybe it was a citizen who knows more about police than your average person. As in the Blue Wall of Silence coming home to roost.

unreconstructed1

Regardless of the reason, I applaud the act. Police are citizens, plain and simple. They should be made to observe the same rules that they are made to enforce. If OC is illegal for citizens, it should be illegal for the police.

davidmcbeth

Banned
well police arnt exempt from private property laws. then again the police, by law, do not have to respond to your property to protect you.then again it is illinois. not really part of america. its black on the map. just kidding we still accept you ILL!!!

Odd, my local cops thought they were too, until I booted them off my land...they learned the hard way.

Last edited: