• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois Detectives Booted from Denny's for OC.

Superlite27

Remember that this is Illinois.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...e5e-5d8f-9e9d-403f18b38948.html?mode=comments

The incident began about 10 a.m. Tuesday when five Belleville detectives went into the Denny’s at 1130 South Illinois Street, ordered food and began to eat. The detectives had badges on their belts or on chains around their necks, but they weren’t in uniform.

Belleville Capt. Donald Sax said restaurant manager David Rice then approached and told one of the detectives that a diner had complained about seeing one of the detectives carrying a gun.

Even though the detective told Rice all at the table were police officers, Rice insisted the detectives take their guns back out to their cars, Sax said.

My opinion is a little mixed on this, but I can't help but smugly note the irony in which officers take such offense when treated in the exact manner many of us are treated each and every day.

Yep. Crazy OC'ers. Businesses should feel free to call us police officers if you have any problems, and we'll come running to eject them from your establishment and chastise them for daring to openly carry their guns......

......wha?....you mean WE'RE not welcome? But we're police officers! See our badges? You can't ask us to leave for simply being armed! That's for everyone else!

lockman

State Researcher
I hope they left without paying the bill. The police have no duty to protect the people in Denny's, now they have no inclination either.

OC for ME

Remember that this is Illinois.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...e5e-5d8f-9e9d-403f18b38948.html?mode=comments

My opinion is a little mixed on this, but I can't help but smugly note the irony in which officers take such offense when treated in the exact manner many of us are treated each and every day.

Yep. Crazy OC'ers. Businesses should feel free to call us police officers if you have any problems, and we'll come running to eject them from your establishment and chastise them for daring to openly carry their guns......

......wha?....you mean WE'RE not welcome? But we're police officers! See our badges? You can't ask us to leave for simply being armed! That's for everyone else!
This incident would (will?) never happen in Illinois to a regular citizen. A citizen would not be subject to this egregious treatment.....you regular folks in Illinois are lucky.

Superlite27

This incident would (will?) never happen in Illinois to a regular citizen. A citizen would not be subject to this egregious treatment.....you regular folks in Illinois are lucky.

I agree. Illinois citizens (subjects?) would never have to suffer the indignity of being asked to leave an establishment because of their ability to defend themselves.

They'd be swarmed by police and hauled off to jail three steps after getting out of their car before they made it into the restaraunt.

Kudos to this manager for treating the cops like any other person. I'm considering a trip to PRIL on Saturday morning to have breakfast there and show my appreciation to someone who refuses to offer humans with shiny disks special treatment the rest of humanity fails to qualify for.

LESGTINCT

I agree. Illinois citizens (subjects?) would never have to suffer the indignity of being asked to leave an establishment because of their ability to defend themselves.

They'd be swarmed by police and hauled off to jail three steps after getting out of their car before they made it into the restaraunt.

Kudos to this manager for treating the cops like any other person. I'm considering a trip to PRIL on Saturday morning to have breakfast there and show my appreciation to someone who refuses to offer humans with shiny disks special treatment the rest of humanity fails to qualify for.

You act as though Police Officers are like any other person and you are wrong. We are not like private citizens carrying guns. We are sworn members of Law Enforcement that are held to a higher standard than a private citizen. Our firearm is part of our jobs, it is a tool, like a hammer is to a contractor, and must be with us while on duty. For that manager to kick Police Officers out of his restaurant because someone is scared of a gun is his option but in no way can you compare it to kicking out a regular citizen.

KTCerberus

You act as though Police Officers are like any other person and you are wrong. We are not like private citizens carrying guns. We are sworn members of Law Enforcement that are held to a higher standard than a private citizen. Our firearm is part of our jobs, it is a tool, like a hammer is to a contractor, and must be with us while on duty. For that manager to kick Police Officers out of his restaurant because someone is scared of a gun is his option but in no way can you compare it to kicking out a regular citizen.

"Held to a higher standard"

I thought this was disproved in the court case where Police in essence allowed 3 women to be kidnapped and raped? How about the time a few NYPD fired 18 shots at one suspect and hit 9 bystanders? If the PD is not required to defend or protect civilians why not treat them like everyone else.

I respect the job that police officers are supposed to do, but most of them do a pretty crappy job these days and let personal opinions interfere with the execution of duties.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Uh what? I think it compares just fine. A cop is no different than any other person. We all have the right to defend ourselves from whatever threats we might face. A citizen sitting in that Denny's has just as much need for a firearm as a police officer sitting in that Denny's.

Last edited:

Anonymouse

Sorry...

Cops are just private citizens. Just private citizens with a job.

What? You thought you were special? Who told you that?

Cite the "police are special" statute. I missed that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Oh, I don't think so.

• Qualified immunity for civil rights violations that would land a non-cop citizen in jail.
  • Blue Wall of Silence where cops don't even hold each other to that so-called higher standard.
  • Good faith exception too often used as a translation for "close enough for government work."
  • "Professional courtesy" that ignores traffic violations and who-knows what else

Cops occasionally, when the evidence is irrefutable and public pressure strong, may be held to a higher standard; but, its not like its the norm.

But, I do appreciate you reminding all readers that you think cops are "special citizens".

LESGTINCT

Oh, I don't think so.

• Qualified immunity for civil rights violations that would land a non-cop citizen in jail.
  • Blue Wall of Silence where cops don't even hold each other to that so-called higher standard.
  • Good faith exception too often used as a translation for "close enough for government work."
  • "Professional courtesy" that ignores traffic violations and who-knows what else

Cops occasionally, when the evidence is irrefutable and public pressure strong, may be held to a higher standard; but, its not like its the norm.

But, I do appreciate you reminding all readers that you think cops are "special citizens".

I disagree and it's obvious you have a problem with LEO's. To group us all into one category is ignorant. To judge every officer and me is ignorant. There are Officers geting arrested every day for criminal offenses and they don't get breaks. Every profession has their bad apples, including yours, don't be a hypocrit. When you get into a car accident do you have to report it to your boss? If you get arrested do you have to report it to your boss? Do you get suspended or fired from your job? Does your job require you to adhere to a code of conduct on and off duty? Do you have to act in a medical emergency or intervene in a criminal act in progress? NO, you don't. LEO's DO. Like I said, we are held to a higher standard. By the way, you failed to post this, read the last sentence. Apparently, you are wrong:

BY Eric Brown | January 03 2013 10:13 PM

A southern Illinois police captain has banned all his on-duty officers from eating at a local Denny’s after a detective was asked to leave the restaurant for carrying a firearm indoors.
Denny’s, the full-service coffee shop/family restaurant chain known for its Grand-Slam breakfast plate, opened a restaurant on Thursday in Las Vegas with a fully functional wedding chapel.
Denny’s, the full-service coffee shop/family restaurant chain known for its Grand-Slam breakfast plate, opened a restaurant on Thursday in Las Vegas with a fully functional wedding chapel.

On New Year's Day, a group of plainclothes detectives in Belleville were eating at a Denny’s when the manager approached them and asked one detective to either take her weapon to the car or leave the premises, according to the Belleville News-Democrat.

Apparently, one customer had complained about the detective’s gun being visible inside the restaurant. When the detectives displayed their badges to the manager, he continued to insist that the detective with a gun leave the restaurant or leave her gun in the car. The manager stated that only officers in uniform were allowed to carry weapons inside.

As a result of the incident, all on-duty members of the department have been banned from eating at the Denny’s in question, according to a statement from Police Chief William Clay.

"All sworn (uniformed/non-uniformed) officers have been prohibited from entering Denny's Restaurant at 1130 South Illinois for any meal or coffee breaks while on duty," Clay said in a statement. "Additionally, no officers may enter the restaurant off-duty if in uniform."

While on-duty officers are banned from eating at Denny’s, Clay insists that police officers will continue to respond to any and all emergency calls coming from the restaurant. Still, the chief is extremely unhappy about the incident.

"This was an insult, a slap in the face, to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement," Clay said in a statement, according to the News-Democrat.

"This individual was the manager of Denny's. He therefore speaks for Denny's, in my mind. This policy effectively prohibits on-duty sworn police officers from dining in a Denny's Restaurant, but allows 'registered sex offenders,' 'felons' and or 'pedophiles' to enjoy a dining experience in Denny's."

A spokesperson for Denny’s corporate headquarters, Liz DiTrapano, said that the event was simply a misunderstanding and Denny’s allows any on-duty police to carry their weapons inside the restaurants.

"Upon further discussion, we became aware the individual was a plain-clothed police officer," DiTrapano said in a statement. "Denny's policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant, and we regret any misunderstanding."

LESGTINCT

Uh what? I think it compares just fine. A cop is no different than any other person. We all have the right to defend ourselves from whatever threats we might face. A citizen sitting in that Denny's has just as much need for a firearm as a police officer sitting in that Denny's.

I never said they didn't. Denny's has the right to ban firearms in their store. Sorry you don't like that but it is what it is.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I disagree and it's obvious you have a problem with LEO's. To group us all into one category is ignorant."

Oh, you were the one who grouped all into one category. Don't point that finger, buster. That you would try it speaks volumes.

We are sworn members of Law Enforcement that are held to a higher standard than a private citizen.

For the record, I appreciate genuinely honest, non-elitist, peace officers who have a deep appreciation and respect for rights. There are several cops and ex-cops on this forum with who I get along fine.

That your industry has extensive problems is an open secret. An evening spent checking compilation websites and top-tier bloggers who track the problems tells the tale.

Don't forget you're griping to a forum where some of the long-term veterans have first-hand experience with cops who can't even respect the watered down version of the 4th Amendment that now includes RAS before seizing someone and disarming them. We saw so many reports from all across the country that we lost count long ago. Unreasonable seizures, false arrests, lying cops, guns seized just to check for stolen, badgering and cajoling to get OCers to waive rights, etc., etc., etc. You're not now talking to a bunch of middle-aged white people who've always believed police are heroes in blue selflessly protecting society.

Trust me. I am not the person you want to tangle with on this subject. Ask yourself, do you really want to give me a reason to start posting links? Every time you try to argue with me, you will be giving me another opportunity to educate younger/newer readers. More than one cop has left this forum whining with a bloody nose because I and others could land solid hits that punched through his nonsense and exposed the elitism, arrogance, and protectionism of him, and exposed the problems of his industry, showing how many bad apples there are, and how many soft apples willing to look the other way. Go ahead. Try me. I haven't had a good tangle with a cop on this forum in ages. I relish the opportunity to open the door for other readers to know what many already know.

Your best bet is to abandon this discussion without further comment. But, if you want to, go for it. Like I said, I relish the opportunity.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Sadly, you could almost understand the Denny's manager on this one...everyone has been so "conditioned" to "fear" guns and cow-tow to the whiners, that this should be expected.

Frankly, when you read the stats on violence by CC's (sorry, haven't seen studies on OCers since they are a much smaller group) show them to be at least 10x LESS likely to be involved in violent crime than active duty police officers. It would almost make sense for a business to ban police officers from either CC or OC on their premises unless responding to an emergency call, than private citizens... ;)

Granted, this is for Texas, not Illinois, where I am sure that the police are MORE likely to commit crimes... ;)

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Art...holders-commit-less-than-1-of-the-crimes.html

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
BY Eric Brown | January 03 2013 10:13 PM

A southern Illinois police captain has banned all his on-duty officers from eating at a local Denny’s after a detective was asked to leave the restaurant for carrying a firearm indoors.

On New Year's Day, a group of plainclothes detectives in Belleville were eating at a Denny’s when the manager approached them and asked one detective to either take her weapon to the car or leave the premises, according to the Belleville News-Democrat.

Apparently, one customer had complained about the detective’s gun being visible inside the restaurant. When the detectives displayed their badges to the manager, he continued to insist that the detective with a gun leave the restaurant or leave her gun in the car. The manager stated that only officers in uniform were allowed to carry weapons inside.

As a result of the incident, all on-duty members of the department have been banned from eating at the Denny’s in question, according to a statement from Police Chief William Clay.

"All sworn (uniformed/non-uniformed) officers have been prohibited from entering Denny's Restaurant at 1130 South Illinois for any meal or coffee breaks while on duty," Clay said in a statement. "Additionally, no officers may enter the restaurant off-duty if in uniform."

While on-duty officers are banned from eating at Denny’s, Clay insists that police officers will continue to respond to any and all emergency calls coming from the restaurant. Still, the chief is extremely unhappy about the incident.

"This was an insult, a slap in the face, to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement," Clay said in a statement, according to the News-Democrat.

"This individual was the manager of Denny's. He therefore speaks for Denny's, in my mind. This policy effectively prohibits on-duty sworn police officers from dining in a Denny's Restaurant, but allows 'registered sex offenders,' 'felons' and or 'pedophiles' to enjoy a dining experience in Denny's."

A spokesperson for Denny’s corporate headquarters, Liz DiTrapano, said that the event was simply a misunderstanding and Denny’s allows any on-duty police to carry their weapons inside the restaurants.

"Upon further discussion, we became aware the individual was a plain-clothed police officer," DiTrapano said in a statement. "Denny's policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant, and we regret any misunderstanding."

Hey fellas,

Notice the arrogant, elitist retaliation. He focuses on being cops, not being citizens exercising their right to self-defense.

But, even better, notice this boss cop did not just let his individual cops decide whether they wanted to patronize Denny's. He banned them all from going there. He didn't just issue a memo that said, "Hey, fellas. Denny's policy on guns means only uniformed officers can go there to eat. Until we clear this up, plain clothes detectives and undercover officers will want to respect their property rights and avoid eating there." Oh, no. Total ban.

Arrogant elitist. Retaliating, arrogant elitist.

LESGTINCT

Oh, you were the one who grouped all into one category. Don't point that finger, buster. That you would try it speaks volumes.

For the record, I appreciate genuinely honest, non-elitist, peace officers who have a deep appreciation and respect for rights. There are several cops and ex-cops on this forum with who I get along fine.

That your industry has extensive problems is an open secret. An evening spent checking compilation websites and top-tier bloggers who track the problems tells the tale.

Don't forget you're griping to a forum where some of the long-term veterans have first-hand experience with cops who can't even respect the watered down version of the 4th Amendment that now includes RAS before seizing someone and disarming them. We saw so many reports from all across the country that we lost count long ago. Unreasonable seizures, false arrests, lying cops, guns seized just to check for stolen, badgering and cajoling to get OCers to waive rights, etc., etc., etc. You're not now talking to a bunch of middle-aged white people who've always believed police are heroes in blue selflessly protecting society.

Trust me. I am not the person you want to tangle with on this subject. Ask yourself, do you really want to give me a reason to start posting links? Every time you try to argue with me, you will be giving me another opportunity to educate younger/newer readers. More than one cop has left this forum whining with a bloody nose because I and others could land solid hits that punched through his nonsense and exposed the elitism, arrogance, and protectionism of him, and exposed the problems of his industry, showing how many bad apples there are, and how many soft apples willing to look the other way. Go ahead. Try me. I haven't had a good tangle with a cop on this forum in ages. I relish the opportunity to open the door for other readers to know what many already know.

Your best bet is to abandon this discussion without further comment. But, if you want to, go for it. Like I said, I relish the opportunity.

I actually am for OCing and 2nd Amend rights, thanks. Again, you judge me. Because you have a bad experience with an LEO please don't group all others and me into it. Go ahead try me? Really? And I am an elitist or a special citizen? Police are held to a higher standard, we have to be.

LESGTINCT

Hey fellas,

Notice the arrogant, elitist retaliation. He focuses on being cops, not being citizens exercising their right to self-defense.

But, even better, notice this boss cop did not just let his individual cops decide whether they wanted to patronize Denny's. He banned them all from going there. He didn't just issue a memo that said, "Hey, fellas. Denny's policy on guns means only uniformed officers can go there to eat. Until we clear this up, plain clothes detectives and undercover officers will want to respect their property rights and avoid eating there." Oh, no. Total ban.

Arrogant elitist. Retaliating, arrogant elitist.

I agree, let the officers choose. Maybe what the Captain did was not the best decision, does that mean he is an arrogant elitist? It seems that you are quick to assume the worst in people. Is it because he is a cop?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I actually am for OCing and 2nd Amend rights, thanks. Again, you judge me. Because you have a bad experience with an LEO please don't group all others and me into it. Go ahead try me? Really? And I am an elitist or a special citizen? Police are held to a higher standard, we have to be.

Now you're using strawman arguments. I didn't judge you--you hung the generality out there. I exposed it and refuted it.

Your next strawman is the pathetic attempt to portray my dissatisfactions with your industry as based on a single bad personal experience.

And, there you go again with your own generality that police are held to a higher standard.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!

Last edited:

PFC HALE

tell this to the losers at colorado springs PD when they arrested one of the members for open carry. threatened him as well, and they blamed it on an "outdated cheat sheet"

higher standard my a$$, a badge and gun make thou mightier than thee...

Last edited:

LESGTINCT

tell this to the losers at colorado springs PD when they arrested one of the members for open carry. threatened him as well, and they blamed it on an "outdated cheat sheet"

higher standard my a$$, a badge and gun make thou mightier than thee...

Again, you group all LEO's together. So I guess you think all priests are pedophiles, all Italians are in the mafia, and all Jews are bankers, huh?