• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Larkspur, CO

learn2shoot

I am moving to Larkspur, CO in a few weeks - I am hoping to find a range locally - perhaps there is a rock pit locals are able to use or something like that. Google maps is not really good at finding ranges like this, and it appears the closest commercial range is at least 30 minutes away.

edit: - I wanted to add I ALWAYS clean up after myself, and always take out the trash of other people.

Last edited:

Et2Brute

AFAIK there are no maintained ranges near Larkspur. I worked in the Palmer Lake area for 5 years and never found something nearby. If you want a monitored range there are a few private clubs down in CO Springs, or a number of public ranges in the 'burbs of the Denver area. Otherwise Vader33 is right. You've got Pike National Forest right in your back yard there. Your best access is going to be to head south to Mount Herman Road in Monument, or north to Dakan Road. Either road will require a good 4x4 with lots of ground clearance, and sometimes the roads are closed or simply impassable in the winter or after heavy rains. Mount Herman Road will take you right up into the NF, but Dakan road takes a long winding path through lots of private property before it hits Hidden Valley Road. Turn left (west) on Hidden Valley and that will take you up into the NF. It'll probably be at least a 45 min trip either way.

Be sure to check the rules & regs of the NF though. I believe there are limits as to how far off a public road or marked trail you have to be.

Good luck! Out of curiosity, are you moving to Larkspur from out of state or elsewhere in CO?

Last edited:

Et2Brute

I should also mention that if you don't want to (or are unable to) traverse the winding and harsh dirt roads leading into the NF, you could head north on Hwy 105 to Sedalia, and from there take the paved Hwy 67 up into the NF. I'm pretty familiar with the foothills, mountains, and NF from the Pikes Peak area all the way up to I-70 as it was my romping ground in my teens and early 20's. So if you have more questions or want more info, feel free to message me.

jskp229

I just moved from Larkspur last year to Castle Rock. There is a new indoor range in Castle Rock about 10 miles away. The closest decent NF area without major 4x4 required is about 65 miles away Northwest of Deckers.

Give me PM when you get here & I can help get you oriented. There is a good gun / OC community in this area.