Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: How Safe Are Our Schools?

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322

    How Safe Are Our Schools?

    http://portwashington-wi.patch.com/a...omment_5928348

    Seriously, how do they think a school shooting can't happen in WI when it already has happened?!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  2. #2
    Regular Member Yetiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE Wi
    Posts
    117
    Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial
    Preventing juvenile mass murder in American schools is the job of police officers, school teachers, and concerned parents

    http://www.policeone.com/active-shoo...emy-is-denial/

    The big problem is the people who need to read this article and heed it's message are the ones who won't even consider it.
    Last edited by Yetiman; 01-03-2013 at 10:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Talk to your kids. I told my son that if there is a shooter in the school that they will lock him in the room but that he should disobey any order by the teacher and open or break a window and escape. Providing the gun fire is not coming from outside I told him to run the flock out of that school as fast as possible. Don't be a hero - just survive.

    If that option is not available I told him to find a stabbing weapon and prepare to go on the offensive. He is versed enough to be able to run a firearm against a shooter if he could get it away from him.

    After this talk I was suddenly saddened that I would even have to have this discussion with my son. What a sad state of affairs this country is in.
    Last edited by anmut; 01-03-2013 at 08:42 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oakland ca
    Posts
    14

    How Safe Are Our Schools?

    If any school around here decides to have armed security guards, that would be the school my son will attend.

    I was in a playground today, lots of toddlers... I felt very, very hopeless when I remembered the shootings.

    Asking teachers to carry a gun and be prepared to use it is utopia again, that won't happen, they are usually wimps(joke).

    How do we deal with all the roaming wackos that are potential murderers?
    We need to deal with the insane minds that are around us.

  5. #5
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejerrey View Post
    If any school around here decides to have armed security guards, that would be the school my son will attend.

    I was in a playground today, lots of toddlers... I felt very, very hopeless when I remembered the shootings.

    Asking teachers to carry a gun and be prepared to use it is utopia again, that won't happen, they are usually wimps(joke).

    How do we deal with all the roaming wackos that are potential murderers?
    We need to deal with the insane minds that are around us.
    So you would rather not have armed teachers because they're "wimps" when the bad guy comes to kill?

    Smell that? Smells like... troll.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oakland ca
    Posts
    14

    How Safe Are Our Schools?

    Nah, I know a ton of teachers but none is willing to do it.
    I think that a well trained security guard is way better than a expecting teachers to carry guns. I have 5 friends that are teachers or work for playgrounds and we have talked about this... No one in their networks feels comfortable carrying a gun around kids and even less to think in shooting somebody.
    I've tried to explain the benefit in many ways but they just seem so fragile, specially the girls.

    If there is any teacher that is willing to do it, good. But I also want an intimidating security guard with a .45 in my son's school. A visible deterrent.

    Troll? Why are you seen leprachauns dude? I'm trying to help, no need to be rude.
    Last edited by Pejerrey; 01-03-2013 at 11:46 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Gun free school zones is just another sign of a failure of government.

    Schools should be the exclusive jurisdiction of local governments at best, but we have gotten so far from things "Constitutional" it is just sad. If you ask most people which has more Constitutional "protection" an AR-15 or public schools, they will get it wrong.

    This is why we home school.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Talk to your kids. I told my son that if there is a shooter in the school that they will lock him in the room but that he should disobey any order by the teacher and open or break a window and escape. Providing the gun fire is not coming from outside I told him to run the flock out of that school as fast as possible. Don't be a hero - just survive.

    If that option is not available I told him to find a stabbing weapon and prepare to go on the offensive. He is versed enough to be able to run a firearm against a shooter if he could get it away from him.

    After this talk I was suddenly saddened that I would even have to have this discussion with my son. What a sad state of affairs this country is in.
    I have told several good conservtive school teachers I know being locked in a room makes them sitting ducks evacuate.

    That there are objects that can be explained away as non weapons but but to good use. Baseball bats many, shop items and others to attack the shooter with, do not go down hiding in a corner or locked in a bathroom.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  9. #9
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Are Wisconsin Teachers Really Different Than Utah Teachers?

    I find it difficult to believe that WI teachers are all wimps. A week ago yesterday, the Utah Shooting Sports Council, OPSGEAR, and two independent instructors (including a certain Yellow Cat) teamed up and provided 200 Utah teachers with a basic defense of the classroom course that included the UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course. We had to turn people away and UT teachers are clamoring for a repeat of the course.

    Yellow Cat Out-
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    10
    How safe are our schools? Parents can sleep well at night knowing that when the parents aren't able to protect their children the school authorities are keeping them safe. Our children are afforded "state of the art" protection behind ignored and unenforced gun laws, security cameras, fragile glass unlocked doors, frightened teachers, weapons prohibited signs and lockdown drills. How much better can it get? (sarcasm). Ask any parent that lost a child at Sandy Hook Elementary what they now think of that kind of security. Invariably whenever the issue of having armed security in our schools surfaces the excuses for not doing so are. Armed police in schools will traumatize the children; Armed security is not fool proof: It is too costly. Any child beyond the age of four knows that a policeman with a gun is their friend. Ask any child what they would think about having a policeman walking the halls of their school and I will wager that the most common answer will be "I would feel safer" or "Then I wouldn't be afraid to go to school". It's time we stop infusing our paranoia’s into our children. They have an intelligence of their own. Would armed security be one hundred percent fool-proof? Of course not. The boasted security system at Newtown Connecticut wasn't too efficient was it? Of course having armed security in or around our schools will have a significant cost. The cost of putting armed security in all K-12 public schools is estimated at $2.5 billion dollars. Congress has just recently voted to allocate $9.7 billion dollars to the storm Sandy relief. Final allocation may reach $62 billion. We are spending $156 billion dollars a year on two fruitless wars. Has the government and school administration finally put the a value on the life of one child? What is that value? $2.5 billion dollars? Two of the most outspoken critics of armed school security, president Obama and David Gregory of Meet the Press send their children to a private school in Washington D.C. the school is named Sidwell Friends. It has eleven security personnel on it's payroll and housed on campus. In addition the Obama children have secret service agents watching their every move.
    Last edited by Cap'n Nemo; 01-05-2013 at 08:08 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that WI teachers are all wimps. A week ago yesterday, the Utah Shooting Sports Council, OPSGEAR, and two independent instructors (including a certain Yellow Cat) teamed up and provided 200 Utah teachers with a basic defense of the classroom course that included the UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course. We had to turn people away and UT teachers are clamoring for a repeat of the course.

    Yellow Cat Out-
    A couple weeks ago when I was picking up a rifle a the gun store I over heard the owner talking to a guy that was a teacher in the area (Spanish) and he was buying a pistol. Of course, he was male and obviously wasn't afraid of firearms. That makes him out to be about 1% of all overall teachers. Still - better than nothing.

  12. #12
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Nemo View Post
    How safe are our schools? Parents can sleep well at night knowing that when the parents aren't able to protect their children the school authorities are keeping them safe. Our children are afforded "state of the art" protection behind ignored and unenforced gun laws, security cameras, fragile glass unlocked doors, frightened teachers, weapons prohibited signs and lockdown drills. How much better can it get? (sarcasm). Ask any parent that lost a child at Sandy Hook Elementary what they now think of that kind of security. Invariably whenever the issue of having armed security in our schools surfaces the excuses for not doing so are. Armed police in schools will traumatize the children; Armed security is not fool proof: It is too costly. Any child beyond the age of four knows that a policeman with a gun is their friend. Ask any child what they would think about having a policeman walking the halls of their school and I will wager that the most common answer will be "I would feel safer" or "Then I wouldn't be afraid to go to school". It's time we stop infusing our paranoia’s into our children. They have an intelligence of their own. Would armed security be one hundred percent fool-proof? Of course not. The boasted security system at Newtown Connecticut wasn't too efficient was it? Of course having armed security in or around our schools will have a significant cost. The cost of putting armed security in all K-12 public schools is estimated at $2.5 billion dollars. Congress has just recently voted to allocate $9.7 billion dollars to the storm Sandy relief. Final allocation may reach $62 billion. We are spending $156 billion dollars a year on two fruitless wars. Has the government and school administration finally put the a value on the life of one child? What is that value? $2.5 billion dollars? Two of the most outspoken critics of armed school security, president Obama and David Gregory of Meet the Press send their children to a private school in Washington D.C. the school is named Sidwell Friends. It has eleven security personnel on it's payroll and housed on campus. In addition the Obama children have secret service agents watching their every move.
    Well barring the elimination of every gun, knife and other weapon on the planet - arming the teachers or guards or SOMEONE in these gun free zones will at least give them a fighting chance.

    However I believe that just the very public elimination of the Gun Free School Zone will send the message to the still-in-the-closet psychos. It may cause them enough worry about not being able to hit the high body count to just make them skip to the end of their plan, and shoot themselves at home.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •