• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD detailed cleaning?

fire suppressor

I have had my Springfield XD 40 for five years now and have put approx 3,000 rounds through it. I always keep it clean and I have still never had any issues with it. However recently I have noticed it having a problem seating magazines. Theses are the same magazines I have always used and a few are brand new ones right out of the box. I have completely broke them down and I can not find any problems with the magazines them selves. If someone picked up my gun and used it they would never be able to tell there is a problem but after 3,000 rounds I know how my gun is suppose to feel and I can't be specific but there is something wrong with the seating of magazines. One magazine specifically will not properly cambers rounds at all, I can not find any problems with any of the magazines so I am starting to think it may be the gun.

Along with having problems seating the magazines the magazine release gets stuck and I have to use 2-3x the amount of force I should have to in order to release the on select magazines. I am curious if after 3,00+ rounds the gun needs a more detailed cleaning than I can give it. I have been using snapper caps to try and trouble shoot and I have been unable to come up with anything. I have tried to call Springfeild over the last few days but have been unable to get a hold of anyone after waiting on hold for a unreasonable amount of time and the company has not responded to my emails or my messages left with customer service. I would appreciate any advise

unreconstructed1

I'm fairly certain that all XD's field strip in virtually the same way, so I'll use mine as an example:

As you slide the magazine into the well, do you feel any extra resistance? If so, have you cleaned the mag well itself? If that isn't the problem, remove the slide and look down the mag well from the top. As you do so, depress the mag release button, and you should see the actual release mechanism in the front of the mag well, almost directly behind the trigger. The mag release mechanism is the little square piece in the picture that I have circled in red.

XDmagrelease_zps27e491a1.jpg

It sounds as though you may have a little carbon buildup there. IDK what cleaner/lube you use, but most come with a little straw that should allow you to reach that area. spray the spring and bar at the center of that little mechanism and wipe of the excess. re-assemble, and check it then.

HighFlyingA380

It probably just needs a good, detailed DCOA (Disassemble, Clean, Oil, Assemble).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-7xg4zgOZU Here's part 1 of 4 on how to DCOA an XD. I looked quite a while when it came time to do mine, and this series was by far the best I could find.

Hopefully, James at XD-HS2000.com will have his videos up sometime where he will demonstrate using a large-scale CNC model.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Thanks to everyone for the help it is always joy to still be able to learn new things about a gun after five years of such intimate bonding. I was a little frustrated with Springfield but to give credit where credit is due the company did finally call me back. They where very nice and polite on the phone and we spent about 15 minutes talking. Being unable to troubleshoot the problem over the phone they asked me to mail it to them for repair free of charge. They emailed me a free shipping label and the company should have received it by now. I was told on the phone after 3,000 rounds the gun should have a few springs and internal parts replaced anyway. I was told I can expect to have the gun gone from 2-4 weeks and will get it back fixed or will receive a brand new XD for free. It may have taken them longer than I wanted to contact them but the company has treated me very well. It feels a little strange to be without my gun after so many years of faithful service and it felt very strange to ship but I could not be happier with the company

Last edited: