• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appalachian Trail hike?

EtdBob

So my wife and I are thinking of a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail starting in the spring of 2014.
We’re quite excited about it and will be doing plenty of hikes this year to iron out any gear issues and so forth, but I am wondering about bringing a gun along with me.

I generally do, of course. But this trail passes through the following states -

Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

I imagine some are fine for open carry, and some may honor my Washington state concealed carry permit, but I know some states like New York probably would rather I did not possess the means of self-defense.

So, of those states which can I carry open on my belt and not worry about it, and which must I hide the gun deep inside my backpack ( where it doesn’t do much good, but at least I’d still have it in our tent at night ).

Last edited:

Small_Arms_Collector

So my wife and I are thinking of a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail starting in the spring of 2014.
We’re quite excited about it and will be doing plenty of hikes this year to iron out any gear issues and so forth, but I am wondering about bringing a gun along with me.

Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

I imagine some are fine for open carry, and some may honor my Washington state concealed carry permit, but I know some states like New York probably would rather I did not possess the means of self-defense.

So, of those states which can I carry open on my belt and not worry about it, and which must I hide the gun deep inside my backpack ( where it doesn’t do much good, but at least I’d still have it in our tent at night ).

Check the maps:
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

With a Washington State Resident permit this is what it looks like:

Georgia: Open Carry Only
North Carolina: Open, or Concealed
Tennessee: Open, or concealed
Virginia: Open, or Concealed
West Virginia: Open Carry Only
Maryland: Self Defense not allowed, no carry period.
Pennsylvania: Open Cary Only
New Jersey: Self Defense not allowed, no carry period.
Connecticut: Self Defense not allowed, no carry period.
Massachusetts: Self Defense not allowed, no carry period.
Vermont: Open, or Concealed
New Hampshire: Open Carry Only
Maine: Open Carry Only

So you will not be able to have a gun AT ALL in Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, so unless you go unarmed you'll have to find a work around.

You MIGHT be able to get an exception for "hunting" in those states, if questioned just say your hunting instead of hiking.
Otherwise you'll have to leave the trail, and go around those states, or leave the trail, and mail your gun ahead, then leave the trail again to pick it up.

hermannr

Some of the states you will pass through are a real problem. MD section is very short, and they have a court case in appeal that they lost....Depends on how risk adverse you are, and how well you understand that a search without a warrent is not legal and if you can hold your ground on, "no, I will not consent to a search unless they have a warrent."

NJ is extremely dangerous for carry, as is NY. CT you cannot even have a long gun without a license. These 4 states are very dangerous to your freedom anyway, but of them all, I think NJ is the worst, then NY, then MD, then CT. Been in all of them.

I think that you should probably bring some lockable container for your weapon. if you try this...then at least you can plead the Federal Free Transport law.... there is nothing in that law that states you must be in a vehicle, or that you cannot stop to rest.

Oh yes, read each states laws carefully...you can start with www.handgunlaw.us and go to Gary's links...remember, in some states that you can carry,, tehre are restrictions on where...so back to the locked box. in TN, make sure you have your WA CPL with you...there is NO carry in TN without a license (yes, TN and WA reciprocate) Also, look for hiking exemptions like WA has in RCW 9.41.060(8). Know the LAW, and you will be more confident and less likely to be tripped up, If I remember correctly any carry on the Appliation trail is a problem in VA too (or at least it was, but that may be fixed now)

Last edited: