• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need to mail my gun

fire suppressor

After talking to Springfield about a problem my XD has been having with it's ability to accept magazines they asked me to FED EX it to them for troubleshooting and repair. The company sent me a pre paid label and then it hit me. I thought you where not allowed to mail firearms without being a FFL dealer. Am I missing something or did I misunderstand federal law. I know I have been at the post office and I have seen signs saying you can not mail guns or ammo. Is there a trick in mailing my gun for repair?

DaveP

Unless I'm missing something, if Springfield sent you a Federal Express shipper why are you dealing
with a post office?
Dave

Michigander

Regular people have to ship guns at high prices via next day air as I understand it, whereas FFL holders can ship them less expensively. This is why they sent you the "shipper", so that you could ship it under their FFL.

I'm no expert on this subject, so call Springfield or any other FFL holder, or even hit up the ATF website or something, and find out more.

PFC HALE

i shipped a gun via ups to stag arms under their shipping label and it was shipped back to my doorstep no problems...

Bronson

i shipped a gun via ups to stag arms under their shipping label and it was shipped back to my doorstep no problems...

I did the same with Kahr. You will need to take the gun to the actual FedEx hub as most of the storefront shops won't take them if they know it's a gun, and you are supposed to tell them it's a gun. Springfield sent you the shipper so you can send it on their dime and not yours.

Bronson

Whitney

Mail vs Ship vs Next Day.........

After talking to Springfield about a problem my XD has been having with it's ability to accept magazines they asked me to FED EX it to them for troubleshooting and repair. The company sent me a pre paid label and then it hit me. I thought you where not allowed to mail firearms without being a FFL dealer. Am I missing something or did I misunderstand federal law. I know I have been at the post office and I have seen signs saying you can not mail guns or ammo. Is there a trick in mailing my gun for repair?

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html
http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

I am going to presume you are talking about a handgun and you are not an FFL dealer.

I just shipped a handgun last month with UPS. Fedex gave me the "are you an FFL line" so I went to UPS. For some reason the person at FedEx was not able to read thier own shipping rules. I was directed to the local UPS "main shipping hub" as the local stores were not licensed to ship firearms.

You may not "mail" the handgun you must "ship" it with a next day service. I suggest using UPS Next day air saver. You are required to ship using next day service and since UPS has two next day options with a twenty dollar difference I used them and was very happy with the service.

Aside from the cost the difference between the UPS next day options is the guaranteed delivery time. UPS Next Day Air and Early A.M. will be delivered before noon, UPS Next Day Air Saver is delivered by 4pm.

It should ship right back to your door. Hope this helps a bit.

~Whitney

FAQ From FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE

(F14) Who may ship handguns through the U.S. Postal Service?

Federal firearm licensees may send an unloaded handgun in the mail to another FFL in customary trade shipments.
Handguns also may be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his
or her official duties. However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified
to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the
addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details. The Postal Service recommends that all firearms be sent by registered
mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of
any parcel containing firearms.
(See also Questions B7 and B8.)

Bronson

I suggest using UPS Next day air saver. You are required to ship using next day service and since UPS has two next day options with a twenty dollar difference I used them and was very happy with the service.

If Springfield sent him a shipper they are likely picking up the cost and if their account is with FedEx then he'll have to use FedEx or pick up the cost himself (unless they also have a UPS account and would send him another shipper).

It should ship right back to your door. Hope this helps a bit.

This is true. The problem I found with our local UPS drivers is that they will leave the package, that is clearly marked ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED, on my doorstep. When I was dealing with Kahr and my gun went back and forth several times I had to ask them to start shipping it FedEx since the FedEx drivers would actually follow the instructions. Now there is no guarantee that in the OP's situation it won't be reversed but I've had to deal with some other warranty centers for various brands and I've requested FedEx for the above reason and they've assured me they only deal with FedEx because of the complaints they've received about UPS drivers leaving the guns on the front porch....so I guess it's not just my goofball local guys.

Bronson

griffin

There's no guarantee that FedEx or UPS will honor the signature required mandate. They are usually good about it, but not always.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Just pack it up good, put the label on it, and take it to a REAL FedEx office. NOT one of those Mailboxes Etc, places. They won't accept it.

Sheldon

You are not selling a gun, you are not buying a gun, you are sending it in for service, and can legaly either fed X or UPS (they have tracking numbers get one) it anyplace in the USA.

Their sending you a FED X box N label is SOP... Schedule home pick up...

N +1 stay away from the post office they are anal about that type of thing, and if you must use the USPS then it is Machine parts PERIOD, n be sure to insure it!!!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I thought you where not allowed to mail firearms without being a FFL dealer...

The misunderstood term here is "mail" which actually means using the US Postal Service.

As already mentioned, a non-FFL can mail long guns, but not handguns. This is why they sent you a FedEx box, so you will privately ship it instead of mailing it.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Just a update for everyone, I mailed my XD off today. Springfield did provide me with a free shipping label and I put the XD in a free FED EX express box. I boxed everything up at home and dropped it off this afternoon. It was quick and easy, FED EX scanned the barcode that was that. They asked me no questions and I gave no explanations. I have a tracking number and have it insured for the guns full amount through Springfield

fire suppressor

To avoid perpetuating the confusion that caused this in the first place:

You did not mail it.

You shipped it.

Not trying to come across with a attitude so please don't take this as aggression but out of curiosity is there really a difference? USPS or FED EX, it goes into a box and the box gets delivered

nonameisgood

Legally, yes, there is a tremendous difference. Domestically "mail" ONLY refers to the US Postal Service. The difference is a felony.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Not trying to come across with a attitude so please don't take this as aggression but out of curiosity is there really a difference? USPS or FED EX, it goes into a box and the box gets delivered

Obviously, there is a difference, as evidenced by the 17 replies to your original post. The majority of people consider the act of 'mailing' to mean sending a package or envelope via the United States Postal Service. 'Shipping' a package is generally understood to mean some delivery service OTHER THAN the USPS, e.g. FedEx, UPS, Yellow Freight, Holland Motor Freight, etc.