• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Renewal

ajelias

My pastor had a cpl years ago and never renewed it and wants to renew it now He took his cpl class back in 2001 when the shall issue law was passed Does he need to take the class again to renew or if the clerk has a copy of his certificate he will be good to go

Rasher

By law no he does not, he took it he passed it, he needs to spend some time at the range and some time reviewing the changes in laws he should be good to go. That being said might not be a bad idea for him to take a refresher class some offer it around $50-60, if its been more than a couple years since he let it lapse.

MikeTheGreek

By law no he does not, he took it he passed it, he needs to spend some time at the range and some time reviewing the changes in laws he should be good to go. That being said might not be a bad idea for him to take a refresher class some offer it around $50-60, if its been more than a couple years since he let it lapse.

While I was at the Sheriffs office applying for my CPL last month, they told a man there that if 5 years went by after his class and he didn't get a CPL, or its been more than 12 months since he's had a valid CPL, he had to take the whole course again.

wizzi01

Rasher

While I was at the Sheriffs office applying for my CPL last month, they told a man there that if 5 years went by after his class and he didn't get a CPL, or its been more than 12 months since he's had a valid CPL, he had to take the whole course again.

I got a friend that lives near Port Huron, he looked into getting his cpl then kinda back off getting one after talking to a few of his friends(what ever county they are in)they were told and took(I'm told) a THREE DAY class, when my coworker called the Sherrif to check on this the topcop said yes "WE" require the 3day in MY county. This was before Xmas. He wouldnt listen to me that this was a BS and ILLEAGLE requirement. Today after doing some research on his own he tells me he found a class 1 county over 1day and $79. Hes taking that one.

Bottom line is they will/can tell you anything they want, its up to us to know what the truth and whats not, sucks but thats the way it is. Thers really nobody we can go to to MAKE them follow the laws they are supposed to uphold, ironic huh!!!!!!

MikeTheGreek

I got a friend that lives near Port Huron, he looked into getting his cpl then kinda back off getting one after talking to a few of his friends(what ever county they are in)they were told and took(I'm told) a THREE DAY class, when my coworker called the Sherrif to check on this the topcop said yes "WE" require the 3day in MY county. This was before Xmas. He wouldnt listen to me that this was a BS and ILLEAGLE requirement. Today after doing some research on his own he tells me he found a class 1 county over 1day and $79. Hes taking that one.

Bottom line is they will/can tell you anything they want, its up to us to know what the truth and whats not, sucks but thats the way it is. Thers really nobody we can go to to MAKE them follow the laws they are supposed to uphold, ironic huh!!!!!!

Yeah...which is why every time I have an important question..I google it, call the local PD, AND ask you guys lol.

I don't think the local PD has told me a true fact yet...hmm.

ajelias

I called the county clerk and was told my pastor would have no problem renewing since the certificate was on record They looked it up for me and said he took the required class when shall issue was made law. Midland county

Last edited:

Rasher

I called the county clerk and was told my pastor would have no problem renewing since the certificate was on record They looked it up for me and said he took the required class when shall issue was made law. Midland county

Cool beans, good for him, plz dont flame me but given the time frame that he let lapse, I still think a refresher class might be a good idea.

But you know him I dont, does he spend time on MI gun forums is he up to date on the current regs/laws, what do you think.