• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boycot Denny's? No guns, not evenfor Police officers in their place of business.

B

Bikenut

Too bad. They could support the lawful carry of firearms in all restaurants, period, just like Steak-N-Shake does. They do not allow their managers discretion to discriminate against firearms carriers, and if you are ever mistreated there the corporate VP will have a personal one-on-one conversation with the manager so that it never happens again.
Food for thought....

How many folks call corporate to compliment a business that doesn't discriminate against the lawful carry of guns?

alphamale

It is just that, a silly rumor. I have been at several places where you can see the entire kitchen, the last one was the Original Pancake House in Bay Harbor Michigan. I guess most white castle's would be banned?

Rumors make one look silly when quoted.

The Chief does as he feels is right because this is a free country as you said. Why would you be so contradictory?

Frankly anti gunners should pay dearly for their hate speech and hate crimes against Gun owners, carriers, and the Constitutional rights we exercise. So being fired is the least Denny's Corporate should do to that moron.

MI does not have waffle house, unconfirmed rumor is that michigan has laws against "open kitchens" like waffle houses are setup to be, where you can readily see everything being cooked, separated only by the counter.

me personally, i like waffle house usually, theres just a few locations that have shoddy service, one just outside of harlan Ky. has the best. all of them closely surrounding D.C. suck
(sorry i went on about waffle house, im going to one this weekend and its been awhile...getting anxious)

on topic, i read that a second manager confirmed that the leo were thrown out in error(which has happened to several of us in the past including me and theQ at a taco bell) and that the policy was to follow state law on firearms and welcome all law enforcement officers carrying.

the police chief should not ban officers from patronizing establishments, being a so called free country even on duty it should be a personal decision rather than department mandate

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Keep in mind, this happened in Illinois, the ONE state in the union where it's illegal to carry outside your home, unless you're hunting. The one state in the Union that doesn't even entertain the idea of May Issue permits/licenses. The one state in the Union, my wife insists we're moving back to. (Can you say, "No way in hell?").

i.e., It's Illinois, I could really care less. The whole state sucks.

FYI, the above is just my personal opinion. :)

alphamale

Too bad Denny's Corporate didn't take a prime opportunity to say they abide by the laws of that state and don't violate those laws and rights...

I have carried at the Denny's in Monroe, MI and Toledo, OH with no issues. I think boycotting an entire franchise because of the idiocy of one manager is a bit over the top. Now if the whole franchise went this route then by all means.

Evil Creamsicle

How on earth would any cop in Illinois know what we OCers and possibly CCers are familiar with outside of Illinois.

They wouldn't. I addressed that. I was merely saying 'too bad this isn't in MI'
...making the assumption you're referring to my post, sorry if this is incorrect.

alphamale

I think it was a lesson that the Law Enforcement community will fail to learn. They are not special, they are citizens just like the rest of us and some day won't draw a check from Citizens anymore. Seems that they should be concerned about the rights of others. But in the good old USA we caught a disease I call "I got mine so f&ck the rest of you". I see it here with an idiot who was recently banned and returned under a new name. This mentality has crippled this country and blinded people to the rights of others so long as they have their beloved rights they choose to exercise.

C'mon. It's not like the first time this has happened.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/04/police-officer-asked-leave-portland-coffee-shop/

Cops have been known to force law-abiding firearms carriers out of restaurants against the manager's wishes, even here in Michigan. Now they get all butt-hurt because it happened to them?

Excuse me while I try to find some sympathy.

alphamale

Until they fire that moron I say don't eat there. I am tired of morons parading as human beings.

Corporate should fire the manager on the spot for making an A$$anhine decision like this. This is a perfect example of a person with NO COMMON SENSE.

alphamale

The Manager has not a bit of common sense and neither did that customer who whined and bitched, knowing it was a group of Police Officers. Fire the idiot.

There is some clarification in another news story. The manager thought only uniformed LEOs were allowed by policy.

The juicier part of the story is that the police captain retaliated by banning all his officers from eating there. Not just uniformed cops, but all of them. He didn't let individual cops decide whether they wanted to eat there--he banned all of them from eating there. And, pitched a fit about how Denny's would let register sex offenders and pedophiles eat there, but not cops.

alphamale

Good point, wait GREAT POINT!!!

1+

I have done this once, but maybe we should do this often.

Food for thought....

How many folks call corporate to compliment a business that doesn't discriminate against the lawful carry of guns?

B

Bikenut

Good point, wait GREAT POINT!!!

1+

I have done this once, but maybe we should do this often.

Originally Posted by Bikenut Food for thought....

Perhaps we all should call corporate with compliments each and every time (and every day) that we frequent a business while carrying.... OC or CC! ... that does not discriminate against the legal carry of guns..................

Perhaps when companies start receiving calls on a regular basis in favor of legally carrying guns they will be more inclined to have a more favorable outlook on the carrying of guns.

Edited to be on topic....

My heart goes out to the victims in CT... and to all victims of crazy people everywhere regardless of if the crazy used a gun, a knife, or a car, to harm innocents.

While I don't like it I do understand how folks who get their world view from the 6:00 news would be so anti gun right now since the media is flooding the airwaves with messages about guns that aren't just fear mongering but border on spreading panic... and our POS President and his ilk didn't waste any time jumping at a chance to not let a tragedy be pumped up into a "crisis" that can't be allowed to go to waste in order to further their agenda of gun control.

So it comes as no surprise to me that some panty wetter would be so scared of a gun they would cause problems in a Dennys.....never understanding their fear was carefully nurtured and manipulated by.... the media.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I've OCed at the Denny's in (near?) East Lansing, never had an issue with them. But frankly, I prefer Theio's in Lansing. :) I go out of my way for their Mexican omelette. :D

OC for ME

I am perplexed as to the display of hostility directed towards the manager. If he is doing his job and asking a single cop in a group of cops to disarm or leave due to a customer complaint, and the other cops were not asked to leave, it seems, or is/was not reported, what is the problem? I suspect that the detective was not readily identifiable as a cop when the complaint was made. When the badges were shown the situation changed, yet the manager stood firm on his decision to meet the "request" of the complainant. Tough spot to be in.

Or, there was/is a "history" re that one detective and persons that we may never known.

So, cops get a pass because they are members of the praetorian guard.....oh brother.

WalkingWolf

I am perplexed as to the display of hostility directed towards the manager. If he is doing his job and asking a single cop in a group of cops to disarm or leave due to a customer complaint, and the other cops were not asked to leave, it seems, or is/was not reported, what is the problem? I suspect that the detective was not readily identifiable as a cop when the complaint was made. When the badges were shown the situation changed, yet the manager stood firm on his decision to meet the "request" of the complainant. Tough spot to be in.

Or, there was/is a "history" re that one detective and persons that we may never known.

So, cops get a pass because they are members of the praetorian guard.....oh brother.

I haven't been in Illinois in a long time, but when I was there most police depts required non uniformed officers to conceal carry. The manuals are pretty standard across the state, and I used to train with that dept. It was not common to see police officers out of uniform displaying a firearm. I doubt the policies have changed, but it is possible. The complainer IMO was unaware that the OC officer was in fact a police officer, or it could have been a CC/OC activist turning the tables in the Communist state. Considering the laws and the protocol in IL. I think the manager handled it appropriately.

LESGTINCT

I think it was a lesson that the Law Enforcement community will fail to learn. They are not special, they are citizens just like the rest of us and some day won't draw a check from Citizens anymore. Seems that they should be concerned about the rights of others. But in the good old USA we caught a disease I call "I got mine so f&ck the rest of you". I see it here with an idiot who was recently banned and returned under a new name. This mentality has crippled this country and blinded people to the rights of others so long as they have their beloved rights they choose to exercise.

We are fellow citizens, however we are different. Not above citizens but different none the less. You do not and can not formally arrest people. You do not have statutory authority. You are not held to a higher standard by society and by your employer. You can not resist an arrest, even one that may be illegal at the time. Do you have to report to your employer that you have been in a car accident? Do you have to act in a medical emergency? Do you have to act when a crime is being committed? If we are fellow citizens like you say then your statements could be seen as one that divides us.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
We are fellow citizens, however we are different. Not above citizens but different none the less. You do not and can not formally arrest people. You do not have statutory authority. You are not held to a higher standard by society and by your employer. You can not resist an arrest, even one that may be illegal at the time. Do you have to report to your employer that you have been in a car accident? Do you have to act in a medical emergency? Do you have to act when a crime is being committed? If we are fellow citizens like you say then your statements could be seen as one that divides us.

More of your fogging up the issue, ConnCop?

The differences you cite don't explain away the captain's expectation that cops get special privileges. Nor, do they explain away that the differences only count if the cops are actually enforcing the law. You've already been refuted thoroughly in another thread on this Denny's incident. And, you left that thread with sour comments about "good luck OCing in Illinois" and "I have to watch paint dry", meaning you couldn't come up with sustainable counter-arguments. Yet, here you are in another thread peddling some of your same snake oil

Are you deliberately trying to pick a new fight with other readers? Still trying to dupe others into thinking cops deserve some special consideration just because they're cops? Just trying to maintain that illusion for yourself?

TheQ