Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut Carry - CALL TO ACTION - Town of Weston proposes gun ban

Connecticut Carry - CALL TO ACTION - Town of Weston proposes gun ban

Proposed ordinance here:

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download...e-d82cf3acf89c

We have an immediate need for volunteers within 30 minutes driving distance of Weston that can make time to help with this issue.

Email: info [at] ctcarry.com

This is your chance to fight. If you don't fight this in Weston, we will be fighting it all over the state.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

This is completely absurd.
    Need any help from someone that lives clear across the state?

You can listen to the nonsense being discussed here: http://vimeo.com/56085635
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

I agree with: Sec. 7.8-51. Storage.

I disagree with everything else.

I live much more than 30 minutes away, but I have to ask; what exactly can be done to fight this?
    voicing opinion I know is a start, but is there anything about these propositions that can actually be faught using facts of law or something?

I do see they are trying to require a permit for ANY weapon. that's rediculous. this town is way too close to NYC and Newtown, they are being coerced by certain people in surrounding areas I'm sure.

also, what type of town is Weston? is it fairly closely populated, or is it more open land?

Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post

I live much more than 30 minutes away, but I have to ask; what exactly can be done to fight this?
    voicing opinion I know is a start, but is there anything about these propositions that can actually be faught using facts of law or something?

I do see they are trying to require a permit for ANY weapon. that's rediculous. this town is way too close to NYC and Newtown, they are being coerced by certain people in surrounding areas I'm sure.

also, what type of town is Weston? is it fairly closely populated, or is it more open land?
    I graduated from High school there back in the 80s, and haven't been back since. It was VERY rural, and crime was non-existent. Adjacent towns that I recall were Georgetown, and Wilton.

I thought Connecticut had preemption, but after checking with the NRA site I was a little shocked.

"Preemption

The common law of this state has determined that local governments are preempted when the state has shown intent to occupy the entire field of firearms regulation.

Preemption through judicial ruling of specifically Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 29-28 (1977), which regulates handgun sales. Dwyer v. Farrell, 475 A.2d 257, 261 (Conn. 1984). Municipal ordinance which had the effect of prohibiting the retail of handguns unless the seller was a dealer and unless the sale occurred on premises located in an area zoned as a business district was preempted by § 29-28 regulating handgun sales, where § 29-28 did not prohibit otherwise qualified sellers from making handgun sales even though the sellers were nondealers and lived in residential neighborhoods.

Generally a local government is preempted from regulating a subject matter when a state has demonstrated an intent to occupy the entire field of regulation in that area or when the ordinance at issue irreconcilably conflicts with a state law. Dwyer v. Farrell, 475 A.2d 257, 261 (Conn. 1984). Essentially absent a direct conflict with state law, broad local firearms and ammunitions regulation is possible."

The last line is what jolted me.
    Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without. -Hávamál 38

Banned

Excuse me motoxmann ... but in heller or mcdonald cases struck down a storage requirement ... I assume you did not know that. I suggest you read the recent SCOTUS rulings and the 1939 Miller case.

Weston? My faaaavorite town. I have a FIC case pending .. have a hearing on 10 JAN 13 ... they asked for a postponement but I objected to it ... they asked to add additional parties but I objected to it ...

The FIC has yet to rule on the postponement or the request to add parties (big surprise here -- the FIC hates my guts because I'm trying to get their commission eliminated).

Weston has a lot of cows .. the 1st selectman's name is wienstein .... she's a rabid anti-gunner.

Well, let me rephrase .... she likes her town gov't to have guns but not us.

On 20 MAR 2008, the Weston Police Commission talked about needing M16s to respond to violence at their schools (their PC meeting minutes are online per our FOIA act). They also got EOTech sights too after their cops could not hit the broadside of a barn with the iron sights (I don't see how the EOTech sights would have helped them out) of the guns they obtained. So Weston really should not be poking the bears when their cops can't shoot. Respond to violence? How about prevention? Never a word about prevention of violence, just response. This, of course, equals dead bodies. Good job Weston ! Idiots.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-04-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Proposed ordinance here:

We have an immediate need for volunteers within 30 minutes driving distance of Weston that can make time to help with this issue.

This is your chance to fight. If you don't fight this in Weston, we will be fighting it all over the state.
    I guess a sawed-off shotgun is OK in Weston ... it would be a "pistol" by their own definition. (kidding of course!)
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-04-2013 at 03:02 AM.

I'm within 30 minutes or so of Weston Rich let me know what needs doing. I work 3rd shift so doing something in the afternoon is always easier for me but in a pinch I can change my sleep schedule.

They should all be fired.

What do we do, I don't live anywhere close.

~Justin

I don't. How you store your firearms is your business and your business alone.

Does anyone have any information on the size of the Weston Police Department?

- Sworn officers
    - Administrative staff
    - etc

I don't. How you store your firearms is your business and your business alone.
    I woke up with a slight change of opinion: I do agree with the thought that everyone should store their firearms in a safe, but I also believe it is the owner's decision, not the government's.
    to add to that: for people who own firearms who do not have any children in the house, I believe a double locked unit such as an apartment within a secure building could be justified as a safe. I live in a brick apartment building, and both entrances to the building are locked utilizing completely different keys than each unit door's key, and both building entrance doors/doorframes as well as all unit doors/doorframes are metal construction.

also to add: requiring by law that firearms be kept in a safe; 1) large safes are heavy. some people don't have enough strength nor friends with enough strength to safely maneuver them into and out of their residence. 2) smaller lighter safes are pointless unless permanently affixed to a wall or floor; doing so and not repairing the "damages" when you move out of a rental property can and will cause your security deposit to not be given back in part or in full. and often times people don't have the resources to install them themselves
    Last edited by motoxmann; 01-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.

I do agree with the thought that everyone should store their firearms in a safe, but I also believe it is the owner's decision, not the government's.
    This. I encourage people to store their firearms in a safe [manner], but I don't agree with the concept that they should be arrested or persecuted by anyone for not doing so. There is already civil liability in place for instances of recklessness and negligence.

All storage laws ever do is victimize victims.

This is so frustrating. They have to know that restricting us, the law abiding gun owners / carriers solves no crime issues. They are coming for us one step at a time.

I live in Weston and contacted Rich about this ordinance. I'll try to answer some questions about the tow. It is a fairly rural town with about 11,000 residents just north of Westport. All lots are at least 2 acre zoning. The town is fairly affluent and is about an hour commute to NYC.

The town is virtually crime free as far as break-ins or violent crime. i don't know the exact size of the police force but i would guess less than 20. it is run by a good police chief, John Troxel who i have dealt with in the past and have very positive impressions.

The problem is with the heavilly anti-gun selectmen. All three have voiced support for this gun ban which even includes air rifles, long bows and sling shots. The ban is a full ban on so called "assault rifles" as defined by the State. and forced registration and
    special permitting for every other firearm. If you don;t comply, then you are not allowed to "own or possess" ANY firearm.

The first Selectmen is Gail Weinstein can be reached at gweinstein@westonct.gov or her office 203-222-2656.

the other selectmen are:

David Muller dmuller59@westonct.gov
    Dennis Tracy d.h.tracy@gmail.com

There will be a meeting of the police commission next Thursday to discuss the draft. I've contacted several lawyers and they claim it is rediculously full of holes but legal action cant be taken until they pass it and then I can file suit.
    Last edited by bferguson; 01-11-2013 at 05:24 AM.

^welcome to OCDO^

it sounds as though you alone may be one of the most influential people in this situation. combine forces with rich and everyone else with CTcarry, and anyone else that can have an effect, and hopefully it will prove to be a dominating force.

from a personal standpoint, if it was a tightly packed city type environment, I could at least understand the intent for such otherwise nonsense. but from what it sounds like, it's quite the opposite, with plenty of open land, and PLENTY of safe shooting locations, and a friendly and safe town environment; which makes this entire bill absolutely absurd especially in regards to this specific town.

also, I've heard of John Troxel before, and from what I recall it was all good things as well. so that's a plus.
    Last edited by motoxmann; 01-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Post Another Weston resident willing to get involved

I'm a resident of Weston as well that is eager and willing to help. I've been "lurking" on these forums for a long time--well I'm not lurking anymore! Count me in.

^welcome to OCDO^
    the more the merrier

Proposed ordinance here:

Wow, that is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LESGTINCT View Post
    Wow, that is pretty bad.
    From what I hear, they are trying to claim 'officer safety' so they will know where every gun is located.

Pretty ridiculous when you consider:

- At best, you will only know where lawful firearms are kept which are the least of the concerns you should have.
    - Any officer approaching any person or house should assume the person is armed.
    - Our state already has firearms registration and permitting that officers have access to when responding to calls.

This is more of the same reactionary nonsense and political grandstanding.

I've done a fair amount of work in and on houses in Weston.

These lawmakers never seem to remember that pneumatic nailers expel metallic projectiles by the force of air when a trigger is pulled. I suppose residents will have to register their tools, too? How about if contractors leave tools on a job site, do they have to register them with the Town, or not use them?

To go even further, a Pez dispenser is an implement which impels with force a projectile, as Yoda would say. Are kids going to have to register their Nerf guns? How about pets? They expel projectiles from their rear ends. I guess the town of Weston is going to stop doing a LOT of things.

Yeah, I'll be there if I'm able, and I'll bring some of this up.

Campaign Veteran
    From the somewhat "neutered" state of TX (no OC here like in neighbor states), I'm posting here in your CT area to say I hope you all can stem the tide of frightened, panic-stricken and foolish liberals calling for laws that we all know DO NOTHING to stop mass shootings from happening.

But if CT gets TOO bad down the road, at least consider (if at all possible) moving to a pro-gun state, preferably a "Gold Star Open Carry State." Leave CT to get "progressively" as restrictive and oppressive as the people left want it (we'll see then how that works for them re: reducing violent crime).

If we get MORE pro-gun people the Gold Star states, we could possibly at some point outnumber the liberals, and improve the laws (and repeal others) EVEN MORE to make a state even better 2nd Amendment-wise: Iron-clad no-nonsense and NO PERMIT Contsitutional Carry. And less (maybe NO) places off limits to carriers.

...kind of like a de facto (if not de jure) secession, if you will. ;-)

Good luck...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-04-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Because I can't move everyone I care about from this state, I choose to stay and do what I can to ensure reasonable laws, for them and for myself.

Reading the proposed ordnance again, I think some of my pneumatic nailers with the "contact trip" setting might qualify as Automatic Weapons! Not to mention what'd happen if someone who doesn't have a town permit gets caught driving through Weston with a firearm (or Pez dispenser)!

Weston CT gun ban

Quote Originally Posted by SWY View Post
    I'm a resident of Weston as well that is eager and willing to help. I've been "lurking" on these forums for a long time--well I'm not lurking anymore! Count me in.
    If anyone, ESPECIALLY WESTON RESIDENTS would like to contact me to offer support or ideas, please feel free to do so. We really need town resident support!
    Last edited by bferguson; 01-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Look, it's simple...

Here's my email to this "First Select Broad", Gail what's-her-name:

Let’s cut to the chase here, Ms. Weinstein; unless you have the juice to repeal Article 15 of the Connecticut Constitution, and I seriously doubt you do, then you will abide by state law. You cannot make your own without facing severe legal reprisals. My suggestion to you then, is to shut the f__k up.

Duane T. Doutel
    As Rich says, if you don't tell these people straight out, in effect, "Molon Labe", it will never end. Just say "NO".
    D. T. Doutel

What is to the lawyer or cop a "material misrepresentation of the facts", and to the politician "misspeaking" is, in common parlance, a bald-faced lie. And don't let anyone tell you different!

Visit Connecticut Carry and LiarCop.com for the latest news regarding Norwalk v. Doutel and Doutel v. Norwalk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast