• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - CALL TO ACTION - Town of Weston proposes gun ban

Johnny W

I've done a fair amount of work in and on houses in Weston.

These lawmakers never seem to remember that pneumatic nailers expel metallic projectiles by the force of air when a trigger is pulled. I suppose residents will have to register their tools, too? How about if contractors leave tools on a job site, do they have to register them with the Town, or not use them?

To go even further, a Pez dispenser is an implement which impels with force a projectile, as Yoda would say. Are kids going to have to register their Nerf guns? How about pets? They expel projectiles from their rear ends. I guess the town of Weston is going to stop doing a LOT of things.

Yeah, I'll be there if I'm able, and I'll bring some of this up.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
From the somewhat "neutered" state of TX (no OC here like in neighbor states), I'm posting here in your CT area to say I hope you all can stem the tide of frightened, panic-stricken and foolish liberals calling for laws that we all know DO NOTHING to stop mass shootings from happening.

But if CT gets TOO bad down the road, at least consider (if at all possible) moving to a pro-gun state, preferably a "Gold Star Open Carry State." Leave CT to get "progressively" as restrictive and oppressive as the people left want it (we'll see then how that works for them re: reducing violent crime).

If we get MORE pro-gun people the Gold Star states, we could possibly at some point outnumber the liberals, and improve the laws (and repeal others) EVEN MORE to make a state even better 2nd Amendment-wise: Iron-clad no-nonsense and NO PERMIT Contsitutional Carry. And less (maybe NO) places off limits to carriers.

...kind of like a de facto (if not de jure) secession, if you will. ;-)

Good luck...

Last edited:

Johnny W

Because I can't move everyone I care about from this state, I choose to stay and do what I can to ensure reasonable laws, for them and for myself.

Reading the proposed ordnance again, I think some of my pneumatic nailers with the "contact trip" setting might qualify as Automatic Weapons! Not to mention what'd happen if someone who doesn't have a town permit gets caught driving through Weston with a firearm (or Pez dispenser)!

bferguson

Weston CT gun ban

I'm a resident of Weston as well that is eager and willing to help. I've been "lurking" on these forums for a long time--well I'm not lurking anymore! Count me in.

If anyone, ESPECIALLY WESTON RESIDENTS would like to contact me to offer support or ideas, please feel free to do so. We really need town resident support!

Last edited:

DDoutel

Look, it's simple...

Here's my email to this "First Select Broad", Gail what's-her-name:

Let’s cut to the chase here, Ms. Weinstein; unless you have the juice to repeal Article 15 of the Connecticut Constitution, and I seriously doubt you do, then you will abide by state law. You cannot make your own without facing severe legal reprisals. My suggestion to you then, is to shut the f__k up.

Duane T. Doutel

As Rich says, if you don't tell these people straight out, in effect, "Molon Labe", it will never end. Just say "NO".

hobie16

This kid reading that article in this video is ridiculous. Typical nonsense. This needs to get knocked down.
Kyle

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does anyone have any information on the size of the Weston Police Department?

- Sworn officers
- Administrative staff
- etc

From my reading of police commission minutes, there are about 15 sworn policemen .. last I looked...it could be slightly more or slightly less at the moment.

Admin staff? No idea.

I think that they have too many policemen for the size of the town. I would about half it. But that's just me.

SWY

If anyone, ESPECIALLY WESTON RESIDENTS would like to contact me to offer support or ideas, please feel free to do so. Bob...203 246 1975. We really need town resident support!

Here's a hyperlink to the CT Supreme Court ruling in 1995 on the 1993/4 CT "Assault" Weapon Ban:
http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/benjamin_v_bailey.txt

The Court ruled "constitutional" at that time, however they used the lowest level of review--Rational Scrutiny whereas the US Supreme Court in Heller and McDonald rejected Rational basis and indicated a stricter review is necessary for fundamental rights, i.e. either Intermediate or Strict Scrutiny. Not sure how this will play out but when "they" point out CT Supreme Court permitted banning and highly regulating certain weapons by name/appearance we can counter that the CT Supreme Court's ruling gave way too much leeway to the government at that time. in light of today's rulings. Further, the judicial benchmark for determining which weapons may be not be banned/overly-regulated must now be "in common use for lawful purposes". Weston's ordinance proposes regulating many weapons, including quite common semi-automatic sporting rifles is over-broad and unreasonable--and so on its face (including its mandated storage requirements for unloaded firearms even in the absence of minor children in the home) this ordinance is an extraordinary overreach on a fundamental, constitutionally-recognized human right. Our town officials would be more productively focused on town issues.

motoxmann

our town officials would be more productive in repairing our roads, and training the state workers on how to actually properly pave a road and/or patch a road. I guarantee more deaths would be avoided simply by fixing our roads properly than ANY gun legislature could accomplish

Last edited:

LifeNRAMember

Bobf: you were right about one thing--we do have a good police chief.

and a damned good police force as well.

I live in Weston and contacted Rich about this ordinance. I'll try to answer some questions about the tow. It is a fairly rural town with about 11,000 residents just north of Westport. All lots are at least 2 acre zoning. The town is fairly affluent and is about an hour commute to NYC.

The town is virtually crime free as far as break-ins or violent crime. i don't know the exact size of the police force but i would guess less than 20. it is run by a good police chief, John Troxel who i have dealt with in the past and have very positive impressions.

The problem is with the heavilly anti-gun selectmen. All three have voiced support for this gun ban which even includes air rifles, long bows and sling shots. The ban is a full ban on so called "assault rifles" as defined by the State. and forced registration and special permitting for every other firearm. If you don;t comply, then you are not allowed to "own or possess" ANY firearm.

The first Selectmen is Gail Weinstein can be reached at gweinstein@westonct.gov or her office 203-222-2656.

the other selectmen are:

David Muller dmuller59@westonct.gov
Dennis Tracy d.h.tracy@gmail.com

There will be a meeting of the police commission next Thursday to discuss the draft. The police commissioner is very pro-gun and a good friend of mine so at least we have that. I plan to put my full weight behind making life miserable for the selectmen until they abandon this ordinance. I've contacted several lawyers and they claim it is rediculously full of holes but legal action cant be taken until they pass it and then I can file suit.

Ctclassic

To bobf:

As a Weston resident who is pro gun, it is shocking to see how little you know about it's police force...you know, those folks who keep you safe and the bad guys out of your gun collection.

Weston has 9 uniformed officers, 3 sergeants, a detective and a Chief. That adds up to 14, not 20. You should know that since you are buddies with "the commissioner." By the way, there are 7 commissioners, not one and your buddy is not the Chairman.

I assume you will attend the meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners tomorrow. You are welcome to do so. But be it known that they are not voting on the ordinance or its merits. Their charge is to discuss the implications of the proposal as it affects the PD and nothing else.

Hey Life,
Not sticking up for BF, but he did say, ...."less than 20".

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here's a hyperlink to the CT Supreme Court ruling in 1995 on the 1993/4 CT "Assault" Weapon Ban:
http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/benjamin_v_bailey.txt

The Court ruled "constitutional" at that time, however they used the lowest level of review--Rational Scrutiny whereas the US Supreme Court in Heller and McDonald rejected Rational basis and indicated a stricter review is necessary for fundamental rights, i.e. either Intermediate or Strict Scrutiny. Not sure how this will play out but when "they" point out CT Supreme Court permitted banning and highly regulating certain weapons by name/appearance we can counter that the CT Supreme Court's ruling gave way too much leeway to the government at that time. in light of today's rulings. Further, the judicial benchmark for determining which weapons may be not be banned/overly-regulated must now be "in common use for lawful purposes". Weston's ordinance proposes regulating many weapons, including quite common semi-automatic sporting rifles is over-broad and unreasonable--and so on its face (including its mandated storage requirements for unloaded firearms even in the absence of minor children in the home) this ordinance is an extraordinary overreach on a fundamental, constitutionally-recognized human right. Our town officials would be more productively focused on town issues.

+100 ... plus look at the court opinions that the CT court relied upon in the case ... most were shot down in Heller 1 and McDonald.

I have talked to my state reps about this need to repeal out assault weapons ban and they just turn deaf.

Thomasdonofriok9

Weston Police Commisioner Meeting?

Is this police commissioner meeting being held today in Weston. What can be done to show support. I am willing to attend and spread the word to all of my pro gun friends. Any Weston resident please let me know what I can do to help?

bferguson

Is this police commissioner meeting being held today in Weston. What can be done to show support. I am willing to attend and spread the word to all of my pro gun friends. Any Weston resident please let me know what I can do to help?

I don't think that tonight's meeting is the proper forum for a large crowd. Just my personal opinion. I think there will be open public meetings at a later date, once the ordinance is revised.

Rich B

Weston Volunteers,
We have a bunch of information up about the Weston ordinance and we have included some facts and talking points in case anyone is asked for their opinion in case they are not familiar with all aspects of the issues.

http://ctcarry.com/WestonBan/Contacts

http://ctcarry.com/WestonBan/Ordinance

http://ctcarry.com/WestonBan/Points

http://ctcarry.com/WestonBan/Schedule

If you are at the meeting tonight, look for me, I will have a name tag like a doofus. I will be a little late since I have a radio interview at exactly 19:30.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Once again, I will have Weston folks under oath soon on a first amendment/second amendment issue --- any ? one wishes to pose, just shoot me a PM....I'll see what I can do

I have basically called the 1st selectman a fascists already ...

Last edited: