• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shades of Skidmark

nuc65

Activist Member
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/01/03/family-questions-boys-suspension-over-gun-gesture/

I had to wonder if Skidmark was the same as a six year-old. Now when I was growing up we played the completely politically-incorrect game of cowboys and indians yelling bang at the top of our lungs.

I am currently overseas and I see the kids here have real looking toy guns without orange tips, working realistic toy guns, machine guns that make a fully automatic sound. No kid here would stoop to using their finger.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
While I wouldn't overreact and say it was threatening to shoot and be as harsh a punishment as for something like that, I will agree this is unacceptable behavior, for which this child had been caught doing twice and warned about before being suspended.

Playing cowboys and Indians with willing participants is not the same thing.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, clearly the kid didn't check his backstop. It must have been all those innocent other kids who would have been jeopardized by a stray shot that is causing all the upset.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Soccer Mom Alert
Why would anyone send their kids to public schools these days?

images

scouser

couldn't the parents cite Skid's case as legal proof that pointing a finger is nothing to be scared of and is not indicative of threatening to shoot anyone? If his defense was good enough for a court in this country then I'm left to think that it's good enough for EVERY defense.
Grown men were told there is no danger of being killed by a pointed finger, it's time the teachers learn the same thing.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Just because it is not criminal, does not mean it is acceptable behavior. Schools can and should enforce acceptable behavior to a higher degree than kids running amok in the streets. Most forms of bullying are legal, too. The parents were already aware of their child's behavior and either didn't care or were ineffective at teaching them that it was not appropriate in school.

I do not know the events of Skidmark's experiences.

Riana

While I wouldn't overreact and say it was threatening to shoot and be as harsh a punishment as for something like that, I will agree this is unacceptable behavior, for which this child had been caught doing twice and warned about before being suspended.

My son and I have had this conversation many times.

While I may not agree with the school's rules, if he gets in trouble with the school for breaking them, he's in trouble with me, too. And worse, if I get a call from the principal's office, I won't come pick him up. His father will. That's a much greater threat.

Esanders2008

Just because it is not criminal, does not mean it is acceptable behavior. Schools can and should enforce acceptable behavior to a higher degree than kids running amok in the streets. Most forms of bullying are legal, too. The parents were already aware of their child's behavior and either didn't care or were ineffective at teaching them that it was not appropriate in school.

I do not know the events of Skidmark's experiences.

You should definitely take the time to read this, as it is a very interesting (true) story. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ght=ferry+tale