Thread: So I drove today without putting my firearm in the trunk...

Talking So I drove today without putting my firearm in the trunk...

Why do something so stupid you may ask?

Oh..because my mailman handed me THIS as I walked out the door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1357324117064.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	9789

Only took 35 days (Wayne County) AND they told me since it was the holidays, more people apply and it would take way longer than normal. I was told 4-8 months to get it in the mail.

So relieved I don't have to unload my CZ 25 times a day now.

_____

Also, question for people in the Detroit area. The border patrol guy last week saw my empty gun case in my trunk, and asked me if I had a CPL. I said not yet, and he said if I did, I'd have to tell him or I'd get in trouble.

Now, I know you have to tell police officers...but, do I have to tell the Border Patrol when I cross into Canada? I go almost every weekend. He said he's a recently retired cop, so maybe he said that because of his previous employment?

So I drove today without putting my firearm in the trunk...

You can't take a pistol into Canada.

You only have to disclose if you're actually carrying.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Re: So I drove today without putting my firearm in the trunk...

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    You can't take a pistol into Canada.

You only have to disclose if you're actually carrying.
    Unless you apply for and receive a restricted firearms transport licence. Which you can get for some activities such as hunting and competition. However it is expensive and only allows transport unloaded in the trunk or similar.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    Why do something so stupid you may ask?

Oh..because my mailman handed me THIS as I walked out the door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1357324117064.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	9789

Only took 35 days (Wayne County) AND they told me since it was the holidays, more people apply and it would take way longer than normal. I was told 4-8 months to get it in the mail.

So relieved I don't have to unload my CZ 25 times a day now.

Man that photo really needs some handle bar musthache added. Just saying...

Congrats but - be careful posting pics on the net. On the other hand every crooked & honest cop knows what you look like now. . Let's hope you only run into the honest ones. Arizona is smart enough to not use pictures on their CCW/CPL. Why? It adds costs and serves no value as any cop worth his salt is going to ask for another form of picture ID in addition to your CPL in a LAWFUL stop scenario.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post

Congrats but - be careful posting pics on the net. On the other hand every crooked & honest cop knows what you look like now. . Let's hope you only run into the honest ones. Arizona is smart enough to not use pictures on their CCW/CPL. Why? It adds costs and serves no value as any cop worth his salt is going to ask for another form of picture ID in addition to your CPL in a LAWFUL stop scenario.
    It's not very hard to find pictures me on the net. All of my profiles are linked to my facebook, which is public, not private.

Unlike some of you handlebar-toting old guys, I don't keep all of my info closely guarded

Plus, in this day & age it's extremely easy to get someones information with a few minutes and google.

#1 DON'T TAKE ANY GUN INTO CANADA, major no no and a great way to spend the night in jail. Don't think it dose not happen. When I was living in Seattle it was not uncommon for the local news to have story's of US citizens being detained and arrested after trying to bring a gun and in some cases knifes into Canada. In most cases theses where all law abiding CPL holding normal everyday people.

#2 While I have not read the MCL on it personally, in my Michigan State CPL class I just had the attorney told the class in Michigan if you get pulled over by the police for any reason you are legally required to " immediately" inform the officer of your gun. The attorney stressed the word "immediately" telling the class if we wait too long to declare the gun we would be admitting either a misdemeanor or civil infraction. Sorry can't remember witch one but some kind of a fine and or community service was involved
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    #1 DON'T TAKE ANY GUN INTO CANADA, major no no and a great way to spend the night in jail. Don't think it dose not happen. When I was living in Seattle it was not uncommon for the local news to have story's of US citizens being detained and arrested after trying to bring a gun and in some cases knifes into Canada. In most cases theses where all law abiding CPL holding normal everyday people.

#2 While I have not read the MCL on it personally, in my Michigan State CPL class I just had the attorney told the class in Michigan if you get pulled over by the police for any reason you are legally required to " immediately" inform the officer of your gun. The attorney stressed the word "immediately" telling the class if we wait too long to declare the gun we would be admitting either a misdemeanor or civil infraction. Sorry can't remember witch one but some kind of a fine and or community service was involved
    Trust me. Lived in Canada for 20 years. I know not to bring my gun. Last time I checked, it was a 5-15 year felony for transporting a firearm across the border, + 15 year charge in Canada for carrying a firearm.

No bueno.

I understand the laws for immediate disclosure for the police, but I wasn't sure if CBP was considered "police" & if I had to disclose my CPL if I wasn't carrying.

So I drove today without putting my firearm in the trunk...

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post

Pfffft. My face is all over the interwebz associated with guns and OC. Never had problems.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Congrats!

Congratulations! No more junk in the trunk (except extra ammo!)

Nice CPL, at least yours doesn't give out your home address to every Tom, Dick and Officer Friendly to see and make note of like the Georgia GWL does.

They are starting to look like they weren't made in the bathroom with plastic and a blowdryer, like mine does lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Nice CPL, at least yours doesn't give out your home address to every Tom, Dick and Officer Friendly to see and make note of like the Georgia GWL does.
    That's retarded. I'm definitely glad my address isn't on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    They are starting to look like they weren't made in the bathroom with plastic and a blowdryer, like mine does lol
    Haha, my dad was showing me his old one (2005ish) yesterday. Cheap printer and a lamination machine. I definitely like this one better, although he got his handed to him when he applied, didn't have to wait a month or pay $120 like I did.

Congrats on the CPL

You got that Travis Bickle look going on

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBiker View Post
    Congrats on the CPL

You got that Travis Bickle look going on

Hahaha. I actually accidentally (forgot the plastic piece) shaved it off last week.
    I'm growing it back, I get "Hey taxi driver " 3-5 times a day.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

And you reply, "are you talking to me?"

Hahaha. I actually accidentally (forgot the plastic piece) shaved it off last week.
    I'm growing it back, I get "Hey taxi driver " 3-5 times a day.

My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

I am currently waiting to get my letter in the mail to go before the gun board. How was your gun board experience? I am not really sure what to expect
    Last edited by fire suppressor; 01-06-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    I am currently waiting to get mt letter in the mail to go before the gun board. How was your gun board experience? I am not really sure what to expect
    Wayne county. No gun board, at least not for me. I got my CPL with a letter saying the gun board reviewed my application and approved it, I didn't have to go there.

Molon Labe

Wayne county. No gun board, at least not for me. I got my CPL with a letter saying the gun board reviewed my application and approved it, I didn't have to go there.

You got a letter? Wow! When I got my first CPL from Ingham County, they just sent a postcard saying I could pick up my license at the county clerk's office. No gun board meeting for me either. As I understand it, they only call you before the board if they have questions for you.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    You got a letter? Wow! When I got my first CPL from Ingham County, they just sent a postcard saying I could pick up my license at the county clerk's office. No gun board meeting for me either. As I understand it, they only call you before the board if they have questions for you.
    Yup. On Jan 4th I got my CPL + a letter saying "The gun board approved your app at their 12/12/12 meeting" Good thing They mailed it to me..I'd hate to have to drive all the way there to pick it up

Molon Labe

Yup. On Jan 4th I got my CPL + a letter saying "The gun board approved your app at their 12/12/12 meeting" Good thing They mailed it to me..I'd hate to have to drive all the way there to pick it up

Fortunately, when I got my first CPL, I lived in Leslie, and the county clerk's office is in Mason, so, no big deal. So far, since I've lived in Michigan, I've been living pretty much within about 10 miles of the county seat, so it's not been a big problem. Also, this area is not as populated as Wayne county, so there's that too. I used to live in Chicago, so there's no way you'll get me to move to Detroit. Visit? Sure, live there? No way.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Fortunately, when I got my first CPL, I lived in Leslie, and the county clerk's office is in Mason, so, no big deal. So far, since I've lived in Michigan, I've been living pretty much within about 10 miles of the county seat, so it's not been a big problem. Also, this area is not as populated as Wayne county, so there's that too. I used to live in Chicago, so there's no way you'll get me to move to Detroit. Visit? Sure, live there? No way.
    Haha. I work in Detroit. No way I'd live anywhere near there. I live on the north western border of Wayne county in Northville. If I moved 10 minutes west, or 5 minutes north, I'd be in a different county.

Haha. I work in Detroit. No way I'd live anywhere near there. I live on the north western border of Wayne county in Northville. If I moved 10 minutes west, or 5 minutes north, I'd be in a different county.
    Go North young man. . Oakland Co. is superior to everything in Wayne Co. However they too have A$$hats. See Larry (L) Brooks Patterson.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

And if you are going to get by Parmenter's Cider Mill while they are open let me know I will pay for the Cider and shipping.
    That was my first job in school and grew up a block up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    And if you are going to get by Parmenter's Cider Mill while they are open let me know I will pay for the Cider and shipping.
    That was my first job in school and grew up a block up the road.
    Parmenters is 1.2 miles from my house. When they were open...I drank 2 gallons of Cider, and ate about 5 dozen donuts a week Thank god for my metabolism, I should be 500lbs. That cider mill is easily the greatest place on earth.

As strange as it may be, I'll gladly fedex-overnight you cider and donuts next year.

Parmenters is 1.2 miles from my house. When they were open...I drank 2 gallons of Cider, and ate about 5 dozen donuts a week Thank god for my metabolism, I should be 500lbs. That cider mill is easily the greatest place on earth.

As strange as it may be, I'll gladly fedex-overnight you cider and donuts next year.

It is great now but I still remember when they had the old wood presses before it burnt down,
    it was not to long between it and when Northville lumber had a major fire as well.
    I still remember getting permission to drive over the fire hoses when that one happened.
    And believe me when the season hits I will take you up on the offer.
    Pat