• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I drove today without putting my firearm in the trunk...

MikeTheGreek

Why do something so stupid you may ask?

Oh..because my mailman handed me THIS as I walked out the door.

1357324117064.jpg

Only took 35 days (Wayne County) AND they told me since it was the holidays, more people apply and it would take way longer than normal. I was told 4-8 months to get it in the mail.

So relieved I don't have to unload my CZ 25 times a day now.

:banana::monkey:banana:

_____

Also, question for people in the Detroit area. The border patrol guy last week saw my empty gun case in my trunk, and asked me if I had a CPL. I said not yet, and he said if I did, I'd have to tell him or I'd get in trouble.

Now, I know you have to tell police officers...but, do I have to tell the Border Patrol when I cross into Canada? I go almost every weekend. He said he's a recently retired cop, so maybe he said that because of his previous employment?

autosurgeon

You can't take a pistol into Canada.

You only have to disclose if you're actually carrying.

Unless you apply for and receive a restricted firearms transport licence. Which you can get for some activities such as hunting and competition. However it is expensive and only allows transport unloaded in the trunk or similar.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

FreeInAZ

Why do something so stupid you may ask?

Oh..because my mailman handed me THIS as I walked out the door.

View attachment 9789

Only took 35 days (Wayne County) AND they told me since it was the holidays, more people apply and it would take way longer than normal. I was told 4-8 months to get it in the mail.

So relieved I don't have to unload my CZ 25 times a day now.

:banana::monkey:banana:

Man that photo really needs some handle bar musthache added. Just saying...:p

Congrats but - be careful posting pics on the net. On the other hand every crooked & honest cop knows what you look like now. ;). Let's hope you only run into the honest ones. Arizona is smart enough to not use pictures on their CCW/CPL. Why? It adds costs and serves no value as any cop worth his salt is going to ask for another form of picture ID in addition to your CPL in a LAWFUL stop scenario.

MikeTheGreek

Congrats but - be careful posting pics on the net. On the other hand every crooked & honest cop knows what you look like now. ;). Let's hope you only run into the honest ones. Arizona is smart enough to not use pictures on their CCW/CPL. Why? It adds costs and serves no value as any cop worth his salt is going to ask for another form of picture ID in addition to your CPL in a LAWFUL stop scenario.

It's not very hard to find pictures me on the net. All of my profiles are linked to my facebook, which is public, not private.

Unlike some of you handlebar-toting old guys, I don't keep all of my info closely guarded ;)

Plus, in this day & age it's extremely easy to get someones information with a few minutes and google.

fire suppressor

#1 DON'T TAKE ANY GUN INTO CANADA, major no no and a great way to spend the night in jail. Don't think it dose not happen. When I was living in Seattle it was not uncommon for the local news to have story's of US citizens being detained and arrested after trying to bring a gun and in some cases knifes into Canada. In most cases theses where all law abiding CPL holding normal everyday people.

#2 While I have not read the MCL on it personally, in my Michigan State CPL class I just had the attorney told the class in Michigan if you get pulled over by the police for any reason you are legally required to " immediately" inform the officer of your gun. The attorney stressed the word "immediately" telling the class if we wait too long to declare the gun we would be admitting either a misdemeanor or civil infraction. Sorry can't remember witch one but some kind of a fine and or community service was involved

MikeTheGreek

#1 DON'T TAKE ANY GUN INTO CANADA, major no no and a great way to spend the night in jail. Don't think it dose not happen. When I was living in Seattle it was not uncommon for the local news to have story's of US citizens being detained and arrested after trying to bring a gun and in some cases knifes into Canada. In most cases theses where all law abiding CPL holding normal everyday people.

#2 While I have not read the MCL on it personally, in my Michigan State CPL class I just had the attorney told the class in Michigan if you get pulled over by the police for any reason you are legally required to " immediately" inform the officer of your gun. The attorney stressed the word "immediately" telling the class if we wait too long to declare the gun we would be admitting either a misdemeanor or civil infraction. Sorry can't remember witch one but some kind of a fine and or community service was involved

Trust me. Lived in Canada for 20 years. I know not to bring my gun. Last time I checked, it was a 5-15 year felony for transporting a firearm across the border, + 15 year charge in Canada for carrying a firearm.

No bueno.

I understand the laws for immediate disclosure for the police, but I wasn't sure if CBP was considered "police" & if I had to disclose my CPL if I wasn't carrying.

TheQ

Pfffft. My face is all over the interwebz associated with guns and OC. Never had problems.

wizzi01

They are starting to look like they weren't made in the bathroom with plastic and a blowdryer, like mine does lol

MikeTheGreek

Nice CPL, at least yours doesn't give out your home address to every Tom, Dick and Officer Friendly to see and make note of like the Georgia GWL does.

That's retarded. I'm definitely glad my address isn't on this thing.

They are starting to look like they weren't made in the bathroom with plastic and a blowdryer, like mine does lol

Haha, my dad was showing me his old one (2005ish) yesterday. Cheap printer and a lamination machine. I definitely like this one better, although he got his handed to him when he applied, didn't have to wait a month or pay $120 like I did.

DetroitBiker

:banana: Congrats on the CPL

You got that Travis Bickle look going on :cool:

2l95ra8.jpg

:D

fire suppressor

I am currently waiting to get my letter in the mail to go before the gun board. How was your gun board experience? I am not really sure what to expect

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

I am currently waiting to get mt letter in the mail to go before the gun board. How was your gun board experience? I am not really sure what to expect

Wayne county. No gun board, at least not for me. I got my CPL with a letter saying the gun board reviewed my application and approved it, I didn't have to go there.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Wayne county. No gun board, at least not for me. I got my CPL with a letter saying the gun board reviewed my application and approved it, I didn't have to go there.

You got a letter? Wow! When I got my first CPL from Ingham County, they just sent a postcard saying I could pick up my license at the county clerk's office. No gun board meeting for me either. As I understand it, they only call you before the board if they have questions for you.

MikeTheGreek

You got a letter? Wow! When I got my first CPL from Ingham County, they just sent a postcard saying I could pick up my license at the county clerk's office. No gun board meeting for me either. As I understand it, they only call you before the board if they have questions for you.

Yup. On Jan 4th I got my CPL + a letter saying "The gun board approved your app at their 12/12/12 meeting" Good thing They mailed it to me..I'd hate to have to drive all the way there to pick it up

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Yup. On Jan 4th I got my CPL + a letter saying "The gun board approved your app at their 12/12/12 meeting" Good thing They mailed it to me..I'd hate to have to drive all the way there to pick it up

Fortunately, when I got my first CPL, I lived in Leslie, and the county clerk's office is in Mason, so, no big deal. So far, since I've lived in Michigan, I've been living pretty much within about 10 miles of the county seat, so it's not been a big problem. Also, this area is not as populated as Wayne county, so there's that too. I used to live in Chicago, so there's no way you'll get me to move to Detroit. Visit? Sure, live there? No way. :)