• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tucson Gun "Buy-back"... Anyone going to this event?

PavePusher

I'm thinking of heading there and looking for some deals. Anyone else planning to be there?

http://www.blogforarizona.com/blog/2013/01/city-of-tucson-gun-buy-back-on-tuesday.html

City Councilman Steve Kozachik's somewhat controversial gun buyback has been set for Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Residents looking to part with an unwanted firearm in exchange for a $50 Safeway gift card will be able to make the swap at the Tucson Police Department's midtown substation, 1100 S. Alvernon Way.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/gun-buyback-event-jan-8/

On Tuesday, January 8th, beginning at 9am, Tucson Police will be accepting firearms, .22 caliber or
larger where the weapon is designed to fire a projectile that is propelled using expanding gas, that are voluntarily turned in by members of the general public.

In exchange, a $50 Safeway Food Store gift card will be provided. The event will take place atthe Tucson Police Department Hardesty Sub-Station located on Alvernon Way, just north of 22nd. There is a limited number of Gift Cards, so the event will end when they've all been given out.

Last edited:

Jack House

$50 grocery store gift card? Man, wish I could hit that event. Just got paid, too. Let us know if you snatch any really good deals.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Damn. I have a piece of non-working junk with no collector value that I would love to get $50 for. And it was worth $100 in Los Angeles last month. They never do those here!

Last edited:

azcdlfred

They are giong to try and claim a law that AzCDL got passed last year doesn't apply to them. State law says that these guns must be sold, not destroyed.

Fred

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

They are giong to try and claim a law that AzCDL got passed last year doesn't apply to them. State law says that these guns must be sold, not destroyed.

Fred

12-945. Sale of property

A. If after thirty days notice has been given the owner or person entitled to the property has not taken it away, the property may be sold. The proceeds shall be paid to the general fund of the jurisdiction from which the unclaimed property was received.

B. Notwithstanding subsection A of this section, if the property is a firearm, the court shall order the firearm to be sold to any business that is authorized to receive and dispose of the firearm under federal and state law and that shall sell the firearm to the public according to federal and state law, unless the firearm is otherwise prohibited from being sold under federal and state law. A law enforcement agency may trade a firearm that it has retained to a federal firearms licensed business for ammunition, weapons, equipment or other materials to be exclusively used for law enforcement purposes.

It sounds like Tucson better re-read the law and prepare to trade or sell these guns to FFL's. :D

PavePusher

Contact Charles Heller, AzCDL's Communication Director. He is looking to be there to handout flyers.

Fred

Sadly doesn't look like I'll make it, something about a Colonel/Group Commander taking precedence over personal time... Silly, I know... If I can break free for a bit I'll do so, look for an idiot on a yellow motorcycle wearing a bomber jacket.

Last edited:

Superlite27

The bare minimum I would do to peacefully protest this ignorant and useless "buy back" is to cause some potential "civil disobedience" by....

....taking a current blue book of gun values and explaining the actual value of firearms to folks attempting to obtain cheap gift certificates.

"Excuse me, sir! Here is a current book of gun values. If you take your (insert firearm) down to (insert local gun shop) you can expect to receive (insert value) for it instead of only the cheap $50 they're giving away here."

Not only is this pefectly legal, it also shows the residents how badly they're being taken by the local establishment. The cops can't hassle you for obstruction, dealing without an FFL, or anything else they can attempt to pin on you. As a matter of fact, getting run off by the cops would be the icing on the cake!

Imagine if some ingenious person VIDEOTAPED the cops running them off for telling the citizens how they were being swindled and posted it on YouTube.

Look! The cops are screwing the public out of money! Here's proof they don't want you to get the true value of your firearms! The city is ripping off its citizens! Watch!

Last edited:

sharkey

hehe

http://www.kpho.com/story/20528374/arizona-marks-2-years-since-giffords-shooting

On one side was a councilman who supports gun control leading an effort to give $50 grocery store gift cards to anyone who turned in their firearms to police. On the other was an event organized by a state senator that turned into an open, unregulated and legal marketplace for firearms.

Of course, I do worry about this part with upcoming federal legislation.

"We have a fundamental hole in the private sales of guns. You can walk up right in front of a cop and buy a gun, no background check, nothing," said Councilman Steve Kozachik. "How much more flawed can the system be?"

P.S. Did Safeway donate these cards, do they have any affiliation in this?

Last edited:

sharkey

If so Safeway(oxymoron) has lost mine & my families business FOREVER!:mad:

Amazon donated 30k to the upcoming Seattle gun buyback.

On another note Tucson claims to have destroyed the guns. Someone should sue the private company the destroyed them. That will send a chilling effect.

Jack House

Didn't someone mention earlier that it's against state law to do that in Arizona?

sharkey

Didn't someone mention earlier that it's against state law to do that in Arizona?

It is. How is the NRA stealing AZCDL's fight?

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013...k-in-dispute/UPI-66951357856457/?spt=hs&or=tn

But, the Arizona Daily Star claims they were destroyed the same day.

azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/firearms-are-turned-in-for-cards-in-tucson-buyback-purchased/article_f76b17f0-469a-5a5a-b381-7c9f27a6d20b.html

The collected firearms were shredded by a private company Tuesday afternoon, said Sgt. Maria Hawke, a Tucson Police Department spokeswoman.
One of the commentors stated that this was a private event and not a government one so it's exempt from the law. If true they found a loophole.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

It is. How is the NRA stealing AZCDL's fight?

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013...k-in-dispute/UPI-66951357856457/?spt=hs&or=tn

But, the Arizona Daily Star claims they were destroyed the same day.

azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/firearms-are-turned-in-for-cards-in-tucson-buyback-purchased/article_f76b17f0-469a-5a5a-b381-7c9f27a6d20b.html

One of the commentors stated that this was a private event and not a government one so it's exempt from the law. If true they found a loophole.

Snip
###########################

Todd Rather, an Arizona lobbyist and NRA national board member, said he doesn't object to the buyback but he said Arizona law requires police to resell the firearms to the highest bidder, rather than destroy them, NPR reported.

"If property has been abandoned to the police, then they are required by ARS 12-945 to sell it to a federally licensed firearms dealer, and that's exactly what they should do," he said.

Kozachik says guns being turned in voluntarily to police are not being abandoned.

Nevertheless, Rathner said the NRA will go to court to try to prevent the destruction of the guns. Failing that, he said the NRA will "tweak" the law and "work with our friends in the Legislature and fix it."

As people arrived at the Tucson police station parking lot for the buyback Tuesday, gun-rights advocates carried signs advising the public they would pay double what police were offering to those who wanted to turn in firearms, NPR said.
##########################################################################
While I am no lawyer, what may trip up the PD is: they took the firearms as they were abandoned by members of the public on police property. Nice try on their part but I do believe if this goes before an honest judge the PD will be orderd to sell or trade them to FFL's as the law requires. That is if the PD is lying about their destruction. :D

Last edited: