• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Planning Commission member calls us "lunatics and morons"

Repeater

According to William P Brown, member of the Chesterfield Planning Commission, "Anyone who thinks armed, half-trained school teachers will increase safety in the schools is a lunatic or a moron."

See here:

Gun Control
People with children in their homes are acquiring guns at record rates, supposedly to protect their homes and children. What those people refuse to acknowledge is the chances of their children dying before maturity increase markedly when guns are in their homes. Certainly, the chances of the children dying of gunshot wounds goes through the roof.

Claims by parents that they have educated their children to leave the family arsenal alone are so much horse manure.

Cops spend hours every month renewing their training, practicing, running scenarios and they still occasionally shoot the wrong person. Anyone who thinks armed, half-trained school teachers will increase safety in the schools is a lunatic or a moron.

photo.jpg

Bill Brown - About me:
Resident of Chesterfield County Virginia since 1984. Immediate past chair of Chesterfield County Democratic Committee. Member of Chesterfield Planning Commission for Dale Magisterial District. CPA in practice as William P Brown, CPA, PLLC. U.S. Air Force veteran (1966-70). Former college professor.

Also published in the Village News.

acfreddie

When a liberal/gun grabber says such things, I like to remind them of what I have termed the big 3:

When they resort to name calling, it means I am winning

They are the ones that use fear mongering in an attempt to promote their agenda

Liberals and gun grabbers avoid facts, studies and statistics like the plague

After saying the big 3 about 90% of liberals and gun grabbers just walk away as they know its true and they know I am not a sheeple

riverrat10k

And he is a bureaucrat.

I have found Chesterfield bureaucracy to be all about process, not about logic.'

I'll send a letter to the County asking for his removal on the basis of a County Planner having no respect for the defense of property rights.

He can't be trusted, ya know.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

LOL

Writing the letter now.

"he is obivously an EXTREMIST ANTI-GUN CRUSADER AND NOT ANY FRIEND TO LANDOWNERS CONCERNED WITH PROTECTING THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY RIGHTS WITHIN THE COUNTY"

LOL

Tess

Founder's Club Member
LOL

Writing the letter now.

"he is obivously an EXTREMIST ANTI-GUN CRUSADER AND NOT ANY FRIEND TO LANDOWNERS CONCERNED WITH PROTECTING THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY RIGHTS WITHIN THE COUNTY"

LOL

Which is name-calling, which means he is winning.

IMHO, those of us on the right side of this argument are hurting ourselves badly with our rhetoric. We are doing what we accuse others of doing, name-calling and showing disrespect to people, vice positions on issues.

WhatTimeIsIt?

The idea that people are somehow safer when they are unarmed is so ridiculous that I don't know how someone could make the argument with a straight face. Never trust someone who wants to disarm you. When you're armed, the only way to interact with you is reasoning. Disarming you allows people to interact with you through force. These school shooting scenarios are always stopped as soon as someone else with a gun shows up, and despite what this writer is arguing, guns are not that complicated as to require continuous professional training to use them properly. Making it easier for that other gun to show up quicker is undoubtedly a good idea.

riverrat10k

Which is name-calling, which means he is winning.

IMHO, those of us on the right side of this argument are hurting ourselves badly with our rhetoric. We are doing what we accuse others of doing, name-calling and showing disrespect to people, vice positions on issues.

I disargree with your post in its entirety.

MamabearCali

Is this fellow elected or appointed. Because if he is elected I will start to inform y fellow residents of his philosophy so they can make wise choices.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Is this fellow elected or appointed. Because if he is elected I will start to inform y fellow residents of his philosophy so they can make wise choices.

He's an appointed official who has made the fatal mis-step of expressing an opinion under his title without benefit of authorization to speak as a County official or permission to express an opinion on this matter on behalf of the County.

There is very much one can do and be excused for, but intentionally placing egg on the face of your employer should not be among that list. An email was sent to the County Adminnistrator (cc to the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors) expressing my unease in accepting his pronouncements as reflecting official County policy and stance. Any additional communications addressed to those officials expressing the same general thoughts will probably only serve to pound additional nails in his coffin.

I am aware that personnel actions are not for publication, more's the pity.

stay safe.

riverrat10k

Ok, here is the final draft

Tess, I still disagree that I was name calling. Nice to see you and your family at breakfast the other day, by the way:):). However, I did delete the line that I posted earlier on this site.

I have sent this to my boss and will discuss it with him tomorrow. I may or may not send it after talking with him. Personal issues have caused the delay in my response. Mr. Tompkins is the Assistent Director of Planning for Chesterfield County, but does NOT have a voice in appointing Planning Commission members as far as I know.

We may not be able to influence Washington much but I urge everyone to act locally.

Dear Mr. Tompkins:

Thank you for leaving me a phone message after my in-person visit to the planning office on January 8 complaining about Bill Brown.

After visiting your office, I have determined that the information published in the Chester Village News concerning gun laws and gun rights was pulled from Bill's personal blog site.

In his blog, Bill, by implication, called many County residents "a lunatic or a moron" and characterized some folks views as "so much horse manure".

After a subsequent visit to his blog, it appears he has edited his opinion piece to some degree, but still identifies himself on his blog as a member of the Chesterfield County Planning Commission. The incendiary characterizations remain.

God forbid that I would attempt to infringe on someones Constitutional right to free speech as I am certainly guilty of always speaking my mind.

However, an elected or appointed government official has, in my opinion, a higher bar concerning this right.

By identifying himself on his blog as a Chesterfield Planner, his opinions appear to carry the weight of the Board, if not the County hierarchy. Calling some constituents and businessmen who have an interest in land development in the County "lunatic" or "moron" and their opinions "horse manure" is certainly conduct unbecoming a Chesterfield County official. By implication, Bill has deemed many people seeking his approval for land development in the County as lunatics or morons and full of manure.

Does the Chesterfield County government really share Bill's opinions? Should he really be writing such inflammatory rhetoric while identifying himself as a County official? Again, I believe in the right to free speech. But does he speak for you all? Honestly? Bill's opinion is being shared far and wide on the Internet.

As an employee of a Chesterfield business that may have business contact with Bill, as a long time Chesterfield resident (but not currently), a resident of the immediate area for 45 years, and with a voluminous number of family, friends, vendors, and clients in Chesterfield, I, with regret, must ask for Bill's resignation from the Chesterfield Planning Commission. His personal opinions are his. He should not identify himself as a County Planner when voicing these opinions unless he speaks for the County.

Sincerely,

Mr. Riverrat
My Adress
My personal e-mail addy
My personal cell #

Here is a link to Bill's blog article (since edited, shortened, I think):

http://centralvirginiaandbeyond.blogspot.com/2012/12/gun-control.html

riverrat10k

Ok, changing it again.

Since I am not a Chesterfield resident, I think I am a little presumptuous in calling for his resignation. I will be changing that part and instead ask for a public apology and a reprimand from the County for giving the appearance that he speaks for the County.

Will also send copies to the Dale District supervisor who supported his appointment, and the Village News editor.