• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Village News Editor feels a "six-shooter" is enough protection for your home

Repeater

Village News Editor feels a "six-shooter" is enough protection for your home

After all, he claims, the "Taliban" won't come knocking down your door:

Haven’t we learned? - By Mark Fausz, Jan 02, 2013
The “right of the people to keep and to bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” I join Supreme Court Justice Stephen Beyer when he said historians would side with him… because they have concluded that Founding Father James Madison was more worried that the Constitution may not be ratified than he was about granting individuals the right to bear arms.

When the Framers of the Constitution put pen to paper, how could they possibly have imagined automatic weapons when the arms they wrote of where muzzle loaders. Could they have predicted that your neighbor may have just purchased an AR-15 assault rifle (the gun used at Sandy Hook and the movie theatre in Aurora, Colorado) to protect their home? Assault is defined as imminent harmful or offensive contact. By strict definition, assault and protect are contradictory, and fire arms enthusiasts consider assault weapons as a description used by many people in many ways.

But an assault weapon is not meant to be something your wife carries in her purse or used to hunt squirrels. It has a magazine that carries as much as 32 rounds of ammunition. I think you realize that a Bushmaster, AR-15, AK-57 or similar guns are made to hurt people.

Need a gun to protect your home? A pistol with a half-dozen cartridges will work. Do you think your home will be attacked by a Taliban militia? When is the last time you heard of someone using their machine gun to fight off someone robbing or attacking their home? Oh, it’s the President turned dictator whose goons will knock down your door and take you guns, right.

People get some nutty ideas when unspeakable things happen. I don’t have a solution but I will say that more guns is not it, especially guns meant to kill people, and a lot of them.

Some say that Al Qaeda, China or some other hostile country is coming to get us. I think we should be more afraid of ourselves.

32.gif

[size=+2]I'm afraid -- of Virginia Gun Owners[/size]

EMNofSeattle

32.gif

Well the Koreans used AR and WASR type rifles when they formed militia like groups to protect their shops from masses of looters.

He's right, 6 shots is enough for average self defense, I love revolvers and I really have no interest in owning semi-autos anymore... But I don't think anyone who does want a semi auto with 20 rounds should be denied that right however.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
People get some nutty ideas when unspeakable things happen.

Oh, I think you had nutty ideas before the unspeakable happened, Mark.

Like thinking Article XIII is only to protect the home, or thinking readers are stupid enough to miss your manipulative focus on home defense.

And, like a six-shooter being adequate against home invaders, burglar, or rapist armed with more.

va_tazdad

Proof positive

32.gif

As to the mental deficiency of the "media".

Perhaps he should work the "police desk" for a while and actually READ the reports.

Most criminals are better armed than "6 cartridges".

MKEgal

Violence perpetrated by cowards or the mentally ill who wouldn’t even face off with an old man like me, but need to take out their sick compulsions on those much weaker and, of course, unarmed.
So he realizes that victims being unarmed is a vital part of the victim selection process.
Why does he want to help the criminals?

schools will kick up security until it becomes too expensive
It costs nothing to allow staff to decide whether or not to be armed for their own protection & that of the students.

assault weapons, automatic weapons or large clip magazines are OK because of the Second Amendment
They are, but that's beside the point he's accidently made: the anti's don't know what they're talking about.
Automatic firearms are heavily regulated & so very difficult & expensive for the average citizen to get.
There's no such thing as a "large clip magazine".
There's no such thing as an "assault weapon", except for those few states which have their own laws with a made-up definition (usually a list of scary-looking features that are there for safety or functionality).

When the Framers of the Constitution put pen to paper, how could they possibly have imagined automatic weapons when the arms they wrote of where muzzle loaders.
So by his own 'reasoning' (and I use that term loosely), anything he writes by any method other than quill pen & oak gall ink on parchment or vellum, or printed by a hand-operated printing press, doesn't have the protection of the 1A.

AR-15 assault rifle (the gun used at Sandy Hook)
It was shown on news video in the trunk of the car he drove to the school, being handled & unloaded by police (tampering with evidence). He used 2 pistols to murder the people in the school.

If the guns were kept safely away from children, what good would they be to fend off a crazy that was attacking students and teachers in a school. OK, take the lock off, oh, too late.
What an idiot. Who would keep a self-defense tool locked away unusable?
Keeping a self-defense pistol safely away from children means keeping it in a holster on your person.

People get some nutty ideas when unspeakable things happen. I don’t have a solution but I will say that more guns is not it, especially guns meant to kill people, and a lot of them.
The only person a self-defense pistol will be used to harm or kill is the next nutter who wants to commit mass murder in a school. (Or theater, as in TX. Or church, as in CO.)
Or maybe part of the gang at the next flash mob. In the last few years, they've popped up & beaten people in attacks small & large across my city - malls, parks, the state fair.

va_tazdad

32.gif

"When the Framers of the Constitution put pen to paper, how could they possibly have imagined automatic weapons when the arms they wrote of where muzzle loaders."

What Mark fails to realize is the those muzzle loaders WERE the assault weapons of the day!

Media = Moron

riverrat10k

I read the Village News all the time. It has good reporting about my industry (land development) for Chesterfield County.

Fausz' columns are usually drivel. I'll send a rebuttal letter back and see if it is printed. I doubt it, but ya never know till ya try.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...a "six-shooter" is enough protection for your home...

And he's right about 99.99% of the time.

It's also enough protection for 99.99% of cops.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I just realized why he's fixated on six-shooters. They're the preferred defensive weapon of editors who deliberately antagonize people:

...The chief said, "That was the Colonel, likely. I've been expecting him for two days. He will be up now right away."
He was correct. The Colonel appeared in the door a moment afterward with a dragoon revolver in his hand.
He said, "Sir, have I the honor of addressing the poltroon who edits this mangy sheet?"
"You have. Be seated, sir. Be careful of the chair, one of its legs is gone. I believe I have the honor of addressing the putrid liar, Colonel Blatherskite Tecumseh?"
"Right, Sir. I have a little account to settle with you. If you are at leisure we will begin."
"I have an article on the 'Encouraging Progress of Moral and Intellectual Development in America' to finish, but there is no hurry. Begin."
Both pistols rang out their fierce clamor at the same instant. The chief lost a lock of his hair, and the Colonel's bullet ended its career in the fleshy part of my thigh. The Colonel's left shoulder was clipped a little. They fired again. Both missed their men this time, but I got my share, a shot in the arm. At the third fire both gentlemen were wounded slightly, and I had a knuckle chipped. I then said, I believed I would go out and take a walk, as this was a private matter, and I had a delicacy about participating in it further. But both gentlemen begged me to keep my seat, and assured me that I was not in the way...

Journalism in Tennessee,
Mark Twain.

http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/1562/

Last edited:

riverrat10k

I prefer a short 20 gauge with turkey shot for home defense.:D

If, IF, we were to have severe social unrest in this country, a thirty round mag won't feel like enough.

Just ask the Korean merchants in LA.

Last edited:

Jero1987

"When the Framers of the Constitution put pen to paper, how could they possibly have imagined automatic weapons when the arms they wrote of where muzzle loaders."

Yeah and the founding fathers could have never imagined the global internet either. I guess we should all get permits and background checks to use that too huh?

Repeater

Woman uses 6-shooter to defend herself; runs out of bullets

You can't make this stuff up:

Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder
A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

"She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said.

The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the crime. Chapman said they found him on the ground saying, "Help me. I'm close to dying." Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment. Chapman said Slater was shot in the face and neck.

Kavanaugh was the first reporter at the scene as deputies investigated. The victim's husband told Kavanaugh he's proud of his wife. He was on the phone with her as the intruder broke in.

"My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as responsible, prepared gun owner," Donnie Herman said.

He said he's thankful for his family's safety.

"Her life is saved, and her kids' life is saved, and that's all I'd like to say," Herman said.

Paul_Slater.jpg

[size=+2]Bad guy Paul Slater: "Help me ... I'm close to dying."[/size]