Thread: Help: OC a lightsaber!?

Help: OC a lightsaber!?

So, before I start, I'm a nerd in the first degree. There, I said it.

Now, a few people (including myself) are looking to do a lightsaber Duel Under the Arch, or something similar next summer. I know OC is technically illegal in the City, but how would that apply (if at all) to what is essentially a light-up stick? I don't really think it'd be an issue, but want to cover all the bases.

Thoughts anyone?

Founder's Club Member
    Oh, this is too easy.

When the cops come, just gesture with your hand and say:

"These are not the 'droids you are looking for."

"You don't need to see our identification."

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post

Now, a few people (including myself) are looking to do a lightsaber Duel Under the Arch, or something similar next summer. I know OC is technically illegal in the City, but how would that apply (if at all) to what is essentially a light-up stick? I don't really think it'd be an issue, but want to cover all the bases.

Thoughts anyone?
    Cite the ordinance that has you concerned so I know what it says...

Dude I just read the St L ordinances... a toy lightsaber? something tells me you're going to be just fine on that one.
    so long as you're not on the area bounded by Panther and Nottingham avenues during curfew....

However, OC of a blaster rifle is OT
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 01-04-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Re: Help: OC a lightsaber!?

Thoughts anyone?
    OC of a firearm is not illegal in any city or municipality in Washington state. As far as lightsabers go, my assumption is that they are not real weapons, so you should be just fine. You might let the PD know what your intentions are as far as the time and place in order to head off any odd calls they might recieve, but that's about it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    OC of a firearm is not illegal in any city or municipality in Washington state. As far as lightsabers go, my assumption is that they are not real weapons, so you should be just fine. You might let the PD know what your intentions are as far as the time and place in order to head off any odd calls they might recieve, but that's about it.

Uh Damon, the OP is in St Louis MO not in WA
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Help: OC a lightsaber!?

Thoughts anyone?
    Is this a real question or some kind of early April's Fools joke? Lol, I just kidding.

I think you would be okay, but that's just my opinion based on common sense. If you are "fighting", might you have to worry about someone complaining that you are disturbing the peace or engaged in disorderly conduct?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Cite the ordinance that has you concerned so I know what it says...

Dude I just read the St L ordinances... a toy lightsaber? something tells me you're going to be just fine on that one.
    so long as you're not on the area bounded by Panther and Nottingham avenues during curfew....

However, OC of a blaster rifle is OT
    OK. That was good. As much as EMN annoys me sometimes, I have to admit that was good. Very good.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, this is too easy.

When the cops come, just gesture with your hand and say:

"These are not the 'droids you are looking for."

"You don't need to see our identification."

Somehow I just knew someone would jump all over this one.

And thanks for all the replies! For reference, they aren't exactly toys. They're specifically designed for combat dueling. They have more in common with martial arts practice swords than the crappy toys you find at wal mart.

I didn't honestly think there'd be an issue, but as I said, I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases. Might let the PD know about it all the same.

Re: Help: OC a lightsaber!?

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Uh Damon, the OP is in St Louis MO not in WA
    Doh! Egg on my face!

Somehow I just knew someone would jump all over this one.

And thanks for all the replies! For reference, they aren't exactly toys. They're specifically designed for combat dueling. They have more in common with martial arts practice swords than the crappy toys you find at wal mart.

I didn't honestly think there'd be an issue, but as I said, I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases. Might let the PD know about it all the same.
    The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (The Arch) is covered by the National Park Service who have their own security police (National Park Service Police). I've met several of the officers at variuos times during functions. The officres themselves would probably not have a problem with it, the "Administration" might. If these are in fact "Martial arts weapons" I don't think it will fly on Federal Property.

Instead of calling the Law enforcement people, call the Department of the Interior "Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and ask the superintendent or his office. I found them to be very reasonable when I had a 2nd amendment rally there a few years ago, and darn near everyone there was armed. Tell them exactly what you intend to do and why, see what they say.

OR, just do it and take your chances.... If they don't like it they'll probably tell you to leave? Be sure there is soemone you can call for bail money if it comes to that, you can probably get out the same day and appear in Federal Court on tresspassing and weapons charges at another time with your attorney.

GOOD LUCK, let us know how it turns out.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Kinda OT but kinda not

http://youtu.be/6wjf_lWxqyI
    Last edited by Big Boy; 01-04-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
    Kinda OT but kinda not

I guess if you can make it there you can make it any where............ Fill in the rest if you like....
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (The Arch) is covered by the National Park Service who have their own security police (National Park Service Police). I've met several of the officers at variuos times during functions. The officres themselves would probably not have a problem with it, the "Administration" might. If these are in fact "Martial arts weapons" I don't think it will fly on Federal Property.

Instead of calling the Law enforcement people, call the Department of the Interior "Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and ask the superintendent or his office. I found them to be very reasonable when I had a 2nd amendment rally there a few years ago, and darn near everyone there was armed. Tell them exactly what you intend to do and why, see what they say.

OR, just do it and take your chances.... If they don't like it they'll probably tell you to leave? Be sure there is soemone you can call for bail money if it comes to that, you can probably get out the same day and appear in Federal Court on tresspassing and weapons charges at another time with your attorney.

GOOD LUCK, let us know how it turns out.
    Well, you successfully made me really paranoid then. Guess I have some phone calls to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
    Kinda OT but kinda not

IIRC the people in costume are part of the 501st Legion. They're kind of a big deal.

Well, you successfully made me really paranoid then. Guess I have some phone calls to make.

IIRC the people in costume are part of the 501st Legion. They're kind of a big deal.
    Not to me.

My question is, Do we have the right to Open Carry while visiting Tatooine? I mean It seems the local Tatooine Police are have some corruption issues.

NRA Member

When we did the 2A Rally at the Arch I dotted all "I"s and crossed the "T"s. We didn't want any problems with LEOs or NPS. It went over well with no issues what so ever. They knew we'd be armed and provided a high level of security on site to deal with any anti people who may show up in protest. There were none. Working with them was easier then dealing with them.

When we did the 2A Rally at the Arch I dotted all "I"s and crossed the "T"s. We didn't want any problems with LEOs or NPS. It went over well with no issues what so ever. They knew we'd be armed and provided a high level of security on site to deal with any anti people who may show up in protest. There were none. Working with them was easier then dealing with them.
    I'm glad to hear that! You wouldn't still have the correct phone numbers you could PM me by chance?

I'm glad to hear that! You wouldn't still have the correct phone numbers you could PM me by chance?
    No, that was a long time ago, just contact the staff at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, they wil guide you, there is a local office in the old court House down town is where they were ...

Kinda OT, but since it was brought up here...

How was this possible? I've always heard that since it's within St. Louis City, OC was also banned there? It would make sense that since that area is controlled by the Feds, the locals wouldn't have a say, but that's just not what I've heard. Same with state property (legal to carry) within a city that denies it. Thanks. (Feel free to PM me, I don't want hijack the thread anymore than I have.)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyingA380 View Post
    Kinda OT, but since it was brought up here...

How was this possible? I've always heard that since it's within St. Louis City, OC was also banned there? It would make sense that since that area is controlled by the Feds, the locals wouldn't have a say, but that's just not what I've heard. Same with state property (legal to carry) within a city that denies it. Thanks. (Feel free to PM me, I don't want hijack the thread anymore than I have.)
    This was a 2nd amendment rally, not an OC rall y, al firearms remained concealed. You are correct OC is legal on NPS property but because the ARCH grounds are within the City of St. Louis OC was not permitted. If OC prohibition by municipalities is ever "taken care of" OC on NPS property would be good to go.

This was a 2nd amendment rally, not an OC rall y, al firearms remained concealed. You are correct OC is legal on NPS property but because the ARCH grounds are within the City of St. Louis OC was not permitted. If OC prohibition by municipalities is ever "taken care of" OC on NPS property would be good to go.
    Gotcha, thanks.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...