• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help: OC a lightsaber!?

Oramac

So, before I start, I'm a nerd in the first degree. There, I said it.

Now, a few people (including myself) are looking to do a lightsaber Duel Under the Arch, or something similar next summer. I know OC is technically illegal in the City, but how would that apply (if at all) to what is essentially a light-up stick? I don't really think it'd be an issue, but want to cover all the bases.

Thoughts anyone?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, this is too easy.

When the cops come, just gesture with your hand and say:

"These are not the 'droids you are looking for."

"You don't need to see our identification."

:D

EMNofSeattle

Now, a few people (including myself) are looking to do a lightsaber Duel Under the Arch, or something similar next summer. I know OC is technically illegal in the City, but how would that apply (if at all) to what is essentially a light-up stick? I don't really think it'd be an issue, but want to cover all the bases.

Thoughts anyone?

Cite the ordinance that has you concerned so I know what it says...

Dude I just read the St L ordinances... a toy lightsaber? something tells me you're going to be just fine on that one.
so long as you're not on the area bounded by Panther and Nottingham avenues during curfew....

However, OC of a blaster rifle is OT :lol:

Last edited:

DamonK

Thoughts anyone?

OC of a firearm is not illegal in any city or municipality in Washington state. As far as lightsabers go, my assumption is that they are not real weapons, so you should be just fine. You might let the PD know what your intentions are as far as the time and place in order to head off any odd calls they might recieve, but that's about it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

EMNofSeattle

OC of a firearm is not illegal in any city or municipality in Washington state. As far as lightsabers go, my assumption is that they are not real weapons, so you should be just fine. You might let the PD know what your intentions are as far as the time and place in order to head off any odd calls they might recieve, but that's about it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Uh Damon, the OP is in St Louis MO not in WA

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Thoughts anyone?

Is this a real question or some kind of early April's Fools joke? Lol, I just kidding.

I think you would be okay, but that's just my opinion based on common sense. If you are "fighting", might you have to worry about someone complaining that you are disturbing the peace or engaged in disorderly conduct?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Cite the ordinance that has you concerned so I know what it says...

Dude I just read the St L ordinances... a toy lightsaber? something tells me you're going to be just fine on that one.
so long as you're not on the area bounded by Panther and Nottingham avenues during curfew....

However, OC of a blaster rifle is OT :lol:

OK. That was good. As much as EMN annoys me sometimes, I have to admit that was good. Very good.

Oramac

Oh, this is too easy.

When the cops come, just gesture with your hand and say:

"These are not the 'droids you are looking for."

"You don't need to see our identification."

Somehow I just knew someone would jump all over this one.

And thanks for all the replies! For reference, they aren't exactly toys. They're specifically designed for combat dueling. They have more in common with martial arts practice swords than the crappy toys you find at wal mart.

I didn't honestly think there'd be an issue, but as I said, I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases. Might let the PD know about it all the same.

mspgunner

Somehow I just knew someone would jump all over this one.

And thanks for all the replies! For reference, they aren't exactly toys. They're specifically designed for combat dueling. They have more in common with martial arts practice swords than the crappy toys you find at wal mart.

I didn't honestly think there'd be an issue, but as I said, I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases. Might let the PD know about it all the same.

The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (The Arch) is covered by the National Park Service who have their own security police (National Park Service Police). I've met several of the officers at variuos times during functions. The officres themselves would probably not have a problem with it, the "Administration" might. If these are in fact "Martial arts weapons" I don't think it will fly on Federal Property.

Instead of calling the Law enforcement people, call the Department of the Interior "Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and ask the superintendent or his office. I found them to be very reasonable when I had a 2nd amendment rally there a few years ago, and darn near everyone there was armed. Tell them exactly what you intend to do and why, see what they say.

OR, just do it and take your chances.... If they don't like it they'll probably tell you to leave? Be sure there is soemone you can call for bail money if it comes to that, you can probably get out the same day and appear in Federal Court on tresspassing and weapons charges at another time with your attorney.

GOOD LUCK, let us know how it turns out.

Oramac

The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (The Arch) is covered by the National Park Service who have their own security police (National Park Service Police). I've met several of the officers at variuos times during functions. The officres themselves would probably not have a problem with it, the "Administration" might. If these are in fact "Martial arts weapons" I don't think it will fly on Federal Property.

Instead of calling the Law enforcement people, call the Department of the Interior "Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and ask the superintendent or his office. I found them to be very reasonable when I had a 2nd amendment rally there a few years ago, and darn near everyone there was armed. Tell them exactly what you intend to do and why, see what they say.

OR, just do it and take your chances.... If they don't like it they'll probably tell you to leave? Be sure there is soemone you can call for bail money if it comes to that, you can probably get out the same day and appear in Federal Court on tresspassing and weapons charges at another time with your attorney.

GOOD LUCK, let us know how it turns out.

Well, you successfully made me really paranoid then. :D Guess I have some phone calls to make.

IIRC the people in costume are part of the 501st Legion. They're kind of a big deal.

EMNofSeattle

My question is, Do we have the right to Open Carry while visiting Tatooine? I mean It seems the local Tatooine Police are have some corruption issues.

[video=youtube;76SuCSyh4ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76SuCSyh4ws[/video]

mspgunner

Well, you successfully made me really paranoid then. :D Guess I have some phone calls to make.

IIRC the people in costume are part of the 501st Legion. They're kind of a big deal.

When we did the 2A Rally at the Arch I dotted all "I"s and crossed the "T"s. We didn't want any problems with LEOs or NPS. It went over well with no issues what so ever. They knew we'd be armed and provided a high level of security on site to deal with any anti people who may show up in protest. There were none. Working with them was easier then dealing with them.

Oramac

When we did the 2A Rally at the Arch I dotted all "I"s and crossed the "T"s. We didn't want any problems with LEOs or NPS. It went over well with no issues what so ever. They knew we'd be armed and provided a high level of security on site to deal with any anti people who may show up in protest. There were none. Working with them was easier then dealing with them.

I'm glad to hear that! You wouldn't still have the correct phone numbers you could PM me by chance?

mspgunner

I'm glad to hear that! You wouldn't still have the correct phone numbers you could PM me by chance?

No, that was a long time ago, just contact the staff at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, they wil guide you, there is a local office in the old court House down town is where they were ...

HighFlyingA380

Kinda OT, but since it was brought up here...

How was this possible? I've always heard that since it's within St. Louis City, OC was also banned there? It would make sense that since that area is controlled by the Feds, the locals wouldn't have a say, but that's just not what I've heard. Same with state property (legal to carry) within a city that denies it. Thanks. (Feel free to PM me, I don't want hijack the thread anymore than I have.)

mspgunner

Kinda OT, but since it was brought up here...

How was this possible? I've always heard that since it's within St. Louis City, OC was also banned there? It would make sense that since that area is controlled by the Feds, the locals wouldn't have a say, but that's just not what I've heard. Same with state property (legal to carry) within a city that denies it. Thanks. (Feel free to PM me, I don't want hijack the thread anymore than I have.)

This was a 2nd amendment rally, not an OC rall y, al firearms remained concealed. You are correct OC is legal on NPS property but because the ARCH grounds are within the City of St. Louis OC was not permitted. If OC prohibition by municipalities is ever "taken care of" OC on NPS property would be good to go.