• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 news at it again

FreeInAZ

There is no stopping crazy...

Let us say for the sake of argument that the Police violated the law and kept her gun, then what? She simply would have gassed herself in her gargarge with her car or swallowed a handful of sleeping pills etc... it is sad but the truth is: until this country gets serious about addressing the issue of mental illness we will never be able to contain those who need help. Thus they will continue to hurt themselves and others. I am originally from MI and one of the worst school slaughters was comitted by a nut without firing a single shot at anyone directly. 38 kids killed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

In short we will always have crazy people. We spend billions on far off lands that often want to do us harm, but spend very little to keep those walking a mental tightrope from stepping over the line...:uhoh:

A closing thought: what if the nut in newton couldn't get a gun? Do you really think he would of just gave up? Now imagine him hi-jacking a fuel tanker and driving it into the school!:eek: Where there is a will a nut will always find a way.:cry:

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Let us say for the sake of argument that the Police violated the law and kept her gun, then what? She simply would have gassed herself in her gargarge with her car or swallowed a handful of sleeping pills etc... it is sad but the truth is: until this country gets serious about addressing the issue of mental illness we will never be able to contain those who need help. Thus they will continue to hurt themselves and others. I am originally from MI and one of the worst school slaughters was comitted by a nut without firing a single shot at anyone directly. 38 kids killed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

In short we will always have crazy people. We spend billions on far off lands that often want to do us harm, but spend very little to keep those walking a mental tightrope from stepping over the line...:uhoh:

A closing thought: what if the nut in newton couldn't get a gun? Do you really think he would of just gave up? Now imagine him hi-jacking a fuel tanker and driving it into the school!:eek: Where there is a will a nut will always find a way
.:cry:

Creative thinking.

EMNofSeattle

75 million americans have mental illness? I don't buy that, what are they defining as mental illness?

that's close to 1 in 4 americans, number is far too high.... and an insult to those truly suffering to mental illness.

Of course they gave her the gun back, she wasn't a criminal, she wasn't adjudicated to be defective, and it was her personal property. why exactly shouldn't they give the gun back? And wouldn't changing the law lead to only more trouble, because now firearm enthusiasts who may be at a low point in their life would be afraid to seek help because they'd lose their firearms... so the law changes they want would only lead to more suicides and violence.
Too bad they don't have a comment section on the news site.

We definitely need a better mental health system, but part of the problem is that society ostracizes those who seek help when they have a problem. It's like for years police officers who sought help would after violent incidents would be labeled as "weak" or "a *****" by co-workers, and then we wonder why they're later caught on dash cam threatening to pull their glock 40 and shoot people.

We need to encourage people to seek help when they need it, so that suicide and emotional violence is avoided long before it happens, and you don't encourage people by making them fire what will happen to their careers or livelyhood or reputation if they go ahead and seek help.

anyway, I'm done and off my soap box now...

twoskinsonemanns

I am always surprised at the premise, when these types of discussion begin, that is should be our duty to stop any adult from bringing their own life to an end.

EMNofSeattle

I am always surprised at the premise, when these types of discussion begin, that is should be our duty to stop any adult from bringing their own life to an end.

Because of the overwhelming effects suicide can have on a family, and in the end society as a whole. when someone kills themself all their potential future contribution is gone. and the simple truth is, most of the time it is preventable.

Now if the discussion is on suicide prevention by trying to restrict method or tools, that's not the right way to look at it.

but providing adaquate support services, or the police arriving after a call that a suicide attempt is in progress, should be something provided by society. remember, society is supposed to exist to the benefit of its members. the idea of banding together into a community is under the idea or philosophy that doing so will be more beneficial then existing all alone, not the preserve the status quo or degrade living conditions.

OC for ME

<snip> A closing thought: what if the nut in newton couldn't get a gun? Do you really think he would of just gave up? Now imagine him hi-jacking a fuel tanker and driving it into the school!:eek: Where there is a will a nut will always find a way.:cry:
Uh, that could've/would've not happend, unless the "nut in newtown" had a CDL. It would be illegal for him to operate a commercial vehicle without the proper licensing.

Freedom1Man

Uh, that could've/would've not happend, unless the "nut in newtown" had a CDL. It would be illegal for him to operate a commercial vehicle without the proper licensing.

We should ban all high capacity vehicles. There is no need for any privately owned truck that can have a gross weight of over 15,000lbs.
There is also no need for any vehicles that are capable of carrying more than 6 people either. If one of those gets into a wreck then it might kill everyone in side of it.

We also need to ban assault military looking vehicles. Only the military and government should ever have any scary looking cars.... {/sarcasm}