They are trying to do this on a weekend when no one is paying attention.
Here we go again!
LATE BREAKING ALERT – NEXT VOTE ON SEMI AUTO BAN WILL TAKE PLACE SUNDAY
YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
After getting nowhere in the Senate, the gun controllers have taken their campaign to destroy your rights to the Illinois House. Earlier today (Friday) , Amendment #1 to SB2899 was introduced in the Illinois House of Representatives. Sponsored by rabidly anti-gun Rep. Eddie Acevedo, the amendment would do two things to you:
1. It would pick your pocket to pay for the confiscation and destruction of your own guns.
2. It would ban more than 50% of the rifles and more than 80% of handguns owned by Illinois citizens.
THIS BILL WILL BE VOTED ON BY THE HOUSE JUDICIARY 1 COMMITTEE ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON – YOU MUST ACT NOW!
To help save your guns, please contact the following Representatives and politely tell them that you are a law-abiding firearm owner and that you do not support SB2899 and that you expect them to vote the amendment down.
1. Rep. Elaine Nekritz,. (217) 558-1004 and (847) 257-0450
2. Rep. John Bradley, (217) 782-1051 and (618) 997-9697
3. Rep. Jill Tracy, (217) 782-8096 and (217) 223-0833
4. Rep. Michael Connelly, (217) 782-8028 and (630) 579-4848
5. Rep. Dwight Kay, (217) 782-8018 and (618) 307-9200
6. Rep. Lou Lang, (217) 782-1252 and (847) 673-1131
7. Rep. Sid Mathias, (217) 782-1664 and (847) 222-0061
8. Rep. André M. Thapedi, (217) 782-1702 and (773) 873-4444
9. Rep. Arthur Turner, (217) 782-8116 and (773) 277-4700
10. Rep. Ann Williams, (217) 782-2458 and (773) 880-9082
11. Rep. Michael Zalewski, (217) 782-5280 and (708) 442-6500
REMEMBER – THE AMENDMENT TO SB2899 WILL BE VOTED ON IN COMMITTEE SUNDAY AFTERNOON – START CALLING THESE REPRESENTATIVES BEGINNING SATURDAY AND CONTINUE CALLING THRU SUNDAY
ISRA NOTICE: A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM ISRA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR RICHARD PEARSON
January 4, 2013 - The Week in Review – The Unabashed Arrogance of the Gun Control Movement
As most of you know, this has been a very tense week for the law-abiding Illinois firearm owner. As most of us were getting ready to ring in the New Year, Senate President John Cullerton and his band of gun controllers were secretly preparing a major offensive against your gun rights. We got wind of the pending attack on your 2nd Amendment rights early in the week and immediately called together our lobbyists and strategic planners to build a defense.
When we finally saw the public release of the Cullerton plan mid-week, we were shocked at what we saw. Based on recent events, we fully expected to see legislative proposals to ban so-called “assault weapons,” and so-called “high-capacity ammunition feeding devices.” However, those affronts to your rights paled in comparison with what Cullerton’s proposal entailed. Here is a sampling of the extremist proposals advanced by Cullerton’s gun-grab plan:
- The Illinois State Police would be given full control over the design and operation of commercial gun ranges in the state. That control would extend from the design of the bullet backstops to qualifications of range employees and even to the color of the paint on the walls of the men’s room. The State Police would determine the hours of operation, what types and calibers of firearms could be discharged at the range, and even a minimum number of square feet. Every range customer would have to undergo a background check and each customer’s visit would be logged by the range operator. Any Illinois law enforcement agency could conduct unannounced and warrantless inspections and searches of ranges at any time. Those searches and inspections would extend to range customers and their property. That means that the Chicago Police Department would have the authority to raid a range in Peoria and roust the customers of that range. The bottom line is, this range regulation proposal has the sole objective of running commercial shooting ranges out of business. We had never seen anything like this before, but the intent was clear.
- All semi-automatic firearms would be either banned outright, or be so severely taxed and restricted that ownership would be impractical. We expected to see attempts to ban or regulate AR and AK type firearms, but what we saw in Cullerton’s proposal carried that to an extreme. Cullerton’s gun ban would extend to all semiautomatic rifles, pistols and shotguns. Additionally, many pump action rifles and shotguns would be banned as well. This ban would include such classics as the 1911 and the M1 Garand. Of course, all Glocks, Sig-Sauers, and other popular pistols would be banned as well. Estimates are that about 50% of rifles and 80% of handguns lawfully-owned by Illinois citizens would be subject to ban and confiscation under the Cullerton gun ban.
- A bizarre and convoluted scheme to register all “ammunition feeding devices” capable of holding more than 10 rounds – including magazines, stripper clips, drums, etc. Since none of these devices possess serial numbers, owners of these devices would essentially register them under the “honor system.” Of course, we all know how well criminals stick to the honor system.
The two bills containing these provisions, HB0815 and HB1263, were both assigned to the Senate Public Health Committee for review. This committee is notoriously anti-gun and is stacked 6 to 4 with antigun Democrats under Cullerton’s thumb. On Wednesday night, the two bills came up for hearing before the Senate Public Health Committee. During debate of these two bills, we heard straight from the horses’ mouths what the intents and purposes of these bills were. Sitting there listening to the sponsors and their supporters was a very maddening experience.
Committee testimony given by the anti-gunners confirmed that the gun control movement holds firearm owners in deep contempt. During testimony, the gun controllers claimed that the range restriction bill would actually preserve 2nd Amendment rights while providing public safety. The gun controllers acknowledged that most semiautomatic firearms would be banned, but that people who wished to shoot semiautomatics should be reassured because they would be able to go to an approved range and legally rent semiautomatics to shoot. In other words, you should not be upset about surrendering your $5,000 target rifle because you can still go down to an approved range and get a junker out of the rental case to plink with. This was one of the most condescending lines of testimony I have ever heard levied against the right to keep and bear arms – and the anti-gunners uttered it with completely straight faces. The gun controllers really need to keep in mind that the 2nd Amendment says "keep and bear arms,” not "rent arms.”
Of course, nowhere in any of the testimony given by the bills’ supporters was there any mention of how these restrictions and bans would affect criminals. In fact, the bill proponents became extremely defensive when pro-gun witnesses mentioned anything about violent gun-toting criminals. It was clear that the proponents’ focus was solely on lawfully held firearms. In not so many words, the supporters of these bills claimed that they were good “first steps” to achieving a “civil society.” In the twisted world-view of the anti-gunners, law-abiding citizens are standing in the way of a civil society, not criminals.
As most of you may know, the two bills passed out of the Public Health Committee by 6-4 and 6-3 votes. The next step would be a vote on the floor. Late Thursday, the newspapers were reporting that the sponsors are delaying a vote on the bills because they do not have enough support for passage. Please, don’t be fooled by such claims. These bills are alive and well and can be called up for a vote at any time.
In writing this note, I thought I’d give you a taste of what the ISRA lobbyists experience every day in Springfield. We could not continue to do what we do without knowing that you, the law-abiding citizen, has our back. Your support is crucial to our success – we do all we do for you. So, with that in mind, there are a few things I’d like you to do:
1. Remember that these anti-gun bills are eligible for a full vote of the Senate at any time up through next Wednesday. Do not be lulled to sleep by media claims that the bills are dead.
2. Keep an eye on your email for any alerts the ISRA issues regarding these bills or any other anti-gun activity.
3. Please consider giving the ISRA a generous monetary donation so we may continue the fight for your rights.
Thanks for your time,
Richard A. Pearson, Executive Director Illinois State Rifle Association
Second Amendment and Gun Rights
Conservative Talking Points strongly supports the 2nd Amendment which documents our God given right to defend ourselves by all means. Liberals do not accept the responsibility of self-defense nor do they even acknowledge the existence of evil. We as conservative do and we will NEVER give up our guns.
Mass Gun Killings Mostly In ‘Gun-Free’ Zones
· The theater in Aurora Colorado which was the scene of the Batman movie shooting leaving 12 dead and 59 injured, was a ‘gun-free’ zone. Dan Myers with Cinemark Corporate stated that Cinemark’s official policy is that “ONLY LEO’S CAN CARRY INTO THEIR THEATERS - NO CONCEALED WEAPONS”. (Source: US News – July 2012)
· US Army Maj. Nidal Hasan, who killed 7 and injured 20 at Fort Hood in Texas, attacked unarmed soldiers because they were located in an area that was a ‘gun-free’ zone. Yes, a ‘gun-free’ zone on a military base – Asinine! (Source: Fox News – November 2009)
· A typical ‘gun-free’ zone in a school was a deadly killing ground that left 32 dead and 17 wounded at Virginia Tech back in 2007. (Source: Investors.com – July 2012)
Guns vs Doctors
· The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000. Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000. Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171. (Source: U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services. – Jan 2011)
· The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000 (Yes, that's 80 million). The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188. (Source: FBI – Jan 2011)
· So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Right to Carry (John R. Lott, PhD)
· Violent crimes in states without Right to Carry laws is 81% higher than states with those laws.
· On the average, when counties of at least 600,000 people enable their citizens to have concealed weapons, the murder rate drops by 12%.
Assault Weapons (John R. Lott, PhD)
· In 1994 before the Federal assault weapons ban you were eleven (11) times more likely to be beaten to death than to be killed by an "assault weapon".
· Nationally, "assault weapons" were used in 1.4% of crimes involving firearms and 0.25% of all violent crime before the enactment of any national or state "assault weapons" ban. In many major urban areas (San Antonio, Mobile, Nashville, etc.) and some entire states (Maryland, New Jersey, etc.) the rate is less than 0.1%
· Even weapons misclassified as "assault weapons" (common in the Federal and California assault weapons confiscations) are used in less than 1% of all homicides.
· Los Angeles: In 1998, of 538 documented gun incidents, only one (0.2%) involved an "assault weapon".
· San Francisco: In 1998 only 2.2% of confiscated weapons were "assault weapons".
· San Diego: Between 1988 and 1990 only 0.3% of confiscated weapons were "assault weapons".
· For the USA between 1980 and 1994 only 2% of confiscated guns were "assault weapons".
· Just over 2% of criminals that used guns used "assault weapons".
· Between 1988 and 1990 only 1.4% of recovered crime weapons are models covered under the 1994 assault weapons ban.
· Between 1988 and 1990 only 1% of police officers murdered were killed using "assault weapons". They were twice as likely to be killed with their own handgun.
· Between 1988 and 1990 only 0.15% of over 4,000 weapons confiscated in Los Angeles in one year were converted, and only 0.3% had any evidence of an attempt to convert them for fully automatic.
Gun Control History (Source: Paul Harvey)
· In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953 about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
· In 1911 Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
· Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945 a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
· China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
· Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
· Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
· Cambodia established gun control in 1956 From 1975 to 1977 one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
· Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
· Just after the first 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new 1996 law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, the program cost Australian taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:
· Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent
· Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent
· Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
· In the state of Victoria alone homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.
Founding Father's Quotes on The Second Amendment
· The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation. . . (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -- The Federalist, No. 46 - James Madison
· "If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights and those of their fellow citizens." -- The Federalist, No. 29 - Alexander Hamilton
· "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -- Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775 - Thomas Paine
· "And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; or to raise standing armies, unless necessary for the defense of the United States, or of some one or more of them; or to prevent the people from petitioning, in a peaceable and orderly manner, the federal legislature, for a redress of grievances; or to subject the people to unreasonable searches and seizures of their persons, papers or possessions." - Samuel Adams, Debates of the Massachusetts Convention of 1788
· We established however some, although not all its [self-government] important principles. The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; ---Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. Memorial Edition 16:45, Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.
· A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks --- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.
· One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.
· No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms. --- Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.
Gun Statistics (Source: More Guns = Less Crime : John R Lott)
· 98% of people who use a gun defensively only have to brandish it and not fire a shot.
· Hot burglaries run almost 50% in Canada and Britain both with strict gun control compared to only 13% in the USA.
· More kids die in bicycle accidents each year than by all types of firearm accidents.
· There are an estimated 3.7 million defensive uses of guns per year.
· Even though Switzerland has 300% more gun ownership than Germany, Switzerland also has a 40% lower murder rate.
· For each 1% increase in gun ownership this reduces crime, which saves over 3 billion dollars.
They are trying to do this on a weekend when no one is paying attention.
What was the outcome did it pass and not?