• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Support for our friends is important now

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was reading the VCDL alerts today and took special not of this item:

2. VCDL EM's store targeted by immature citizens*************************************************From wtvr.com: http://tinyurl.com/bl4p3u5Some think gun banner near school is in ‘poor taste’by Wayne Covil and Nick DuttonDecember 19, 2012BEAVERDAM, Va. (WTVR) — A sign outside a Beaverdam store has some residents up in arms after last Friday’s deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.In fact, some people in the rural community want the yellow banner stating “new and used guns, machine guns and suppressors” removed from the Beaverdam Quik Stop because they say it’s in poor taste.“I think it sends the wrong message,” Sherrie Sauer told CBS 6 News senior reporter Wayne Covil on Wednesday. “I think it’s a little disrespectful to the people in Connecticut to have that sort of sign up here…. particularly the close proximity to Beaverdam Elementary School.”Donna Bresko agreed with Sauer and said the sign frankly makes her sick to her stomach.“I feel like by her not taking it down… they’re trying to capitalize on the attention that is being drawn to guns,” Bresko said.On the other hand, some residents said they support the small business owners — and do not think the sign should be pulled since it has been up for months. They also said that the owners are not insensitive to the tragedy what has happened.“This place has been here many years and they’re good people… I don’t think they’re trying to be insensitive towards anyone with the sign,” Corey Clarke, who pointed out the sign has been up for a long time, said.“No I don’t think its insensitive at all,” Monica Powers said. “I don’t think we should stop our lives… just because of what somebody did anywhere — even if it happened here.”The couple who own the store, who did not want to appear on camera, told Covil that the sign will remain in place.

I happen to know the couple who own this store and I think many members would recognize them when they saw them. They are very active, very normal and darn nice people. They are both OC'ers and conceal, and are extremely active shooters.

Beaverdam is still fairly rural but hasn't been spared the Soccer Mom transplants.
A little support by just checking with them for ammo prices or firearm availability would go a long way. It's a bit further out than Bass Pro, but it's a nice drive and would help out two of our own.

Marco

I was reading the VCDL alerts today and took special not of this item:

I happen to know the couple who own this store and I think many members would recognize them when they saw them. They are very active, very normal and darn nice people. They are both OC'ers and conceal, and are extremely active shooters.

Beaverdam is still fairly rural but hasn't been spared the Soccer Mom transplants.
A little support by just checking with them for ammo prices or firearm availability would go a long way. It's a bit further out than Bass Pro, but it's a nice drive and would help out two of our own.

I thought the same thing when I read the alert....
I've cross posted this on VAGT...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Obviously a hit piece by the press.

I love the vague commentary: "some people in the rural community". How many is that? Its a rural community. It ain't got very many people, dammit!

Ridicule the so-called senior reporter Covil. I wonder where his employer found him; was he the most qualified person for the job at the time they were hiring? Really?

I'll bet any three pro-gunners could print and staple up some pro-gun handbills, and they'd outnumber the anti-gunners.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Tried to go down there the Saturday after this hit the press, but traffic on I95 was so bad I couldn't take it. We will be going again, though.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Tried to go down there the Saturday after this hit the press, but traffic on I95 was so bad I couldn't take it. We will be going again, though.

They're close enough on my Burb days, that I should be checking there on a regular basis along with Greentops.

USNA69

Was I the only one who noted that the reporter, while crafting his anti-2A hit piece, chose the metaphor "up in arms" to describe the feelings of those opposing the signage? OOPS!!

Bob1

They sell online?

I'm assuming you're talking about Gadsden Guns there where Beaverdam Road makes a hard turn?

I've made it a point to go by a couple times after I saw the grand opening notice in the VCDL Alert six months or so ago. Gun sales area inside the Quik Stop. No online sales that I'm aware of although a Whois search shows they've applied for a domain and paid for it for five years. Clicking on gadsdenguns.com merely takes you to a guns-related placeholder.

http://whois.domaintools.com/gadsdenguns.com

But Pat and Steve do have a Facebook page. And a telephone they pick up quickly with a friendly voice on the other end.

https://www.facebook.com/gadsden.guns.inc?ref=hl

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We went out there today and didn't see any waves of swooning soccer moms. Pretty good selection of handguns, ammunition is slim, no primers, but they're expecting more this week.

I bought a couple of hundred dollars worth of things and went home.

mpguy

I'm assuming you're talking about Gadsden Guns there where Beaverdam Road makes a hard turn?

I've made it a point to go by a couple times after I saw the grand opening notice in the VCDL Alert six months or so ago. Gun sales area inside the Quik Stop. No online sales that I'm aware of although a Whois search shows they've applied for a domain and paid for it for five years. Clicking on gadsdenguns.com merely takes you to a guns-related placeholder.

http://whois.domaintools.com/gadsdenguns.com

But Pat and Steve do have a Facebook page. And a telephone they pick up quickly with a friendly voice on the other end.

https://www.facebook.com/gadsden.guns.inc?ref=hl

Yes sir. It's out of my way assuming it's near y'all, I'm guessing it's past Ashland? I'll have to make a call, to see if they would. I know Ashland is depending on traffic, 1.5-2 hrs from me. :(

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes sir. It's out of my way assuming it's near y'all, I'm guessing it's past Ashland? I'll have to make a call, to see if they would. I know Ashland is depending on traffic, 1.5-2 hrs from me. :(

Yeah, it's out in the NW section of Hanover. It is what Hanover was when we built there. Still very rural. I can walk around with a shotgun and no one thinks anything about it except a few transplants.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Bob1 wandered down that way after the Ferry Tale event and before dinner yesterday, and spent some extended quality time with them. He had good things to say about the folks, as well as bragging about some reloading supplies that he was able to lay in.

Based on his report, I'd suggest calling ahead to see what he left behind before rushing out there. He said something about a shelf being empty after he left there.

stay safe.

Bob1

Actually, Skid had it turned around a little bit. I got the reloading supplies at GreenTop (snagged a large container of Vihtavuori N160 which is the best powder I've found for my .260 Rem, plus Sierra MatchKing bullets in several calibers) but came up short on match rifle primers and Varget powder. Plenty of IMR powders in stock but they are too temperature sensitive for the long-range tactical competition shoots I participate in. A temp induced velocity change of 20 - 40 fps doesn't mean much to a hunter but it can easily result in a miss when you're banging steel out there in the 1000 - 1500 yard arena.

I did buy about a dozen boxes of ammo at the Webb's store. One of the few places around which hasn't jacked up the prices of things which were already in stock before this latest craziness took over. And as Peter noted, several pistols available, including Sigs and a Remington R1 M1911...again, sans price gouging.

Oh, and I can't forget mentioning the great sandwich bar. I get a hot steak and cheese every time I'm there. Unfortunately though, they don't have any sitting (or even stand up) tables to eat at. Never figured that one out. Must be licensing issue, they aren't a "restaurant."