• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

End of Presidential Term Limits?

LkWd_Don

If you thought you were only going to have to deal with the #1 MDI till 2016, think again.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hjres15

H.J.Res. 15:

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President

For those who do not understand my shorthand.. MDI = Mentally Deficient Individual.

motoxmann

wow. just, simply, wow. and people actually were defending Dumbo saying he's not a dictator. well, here's just more proof that he's doing everything he can to become one

sudden valley gunner

I doubt this will get ratified by the states, since they pretend we still have some resemblance to a federation.

I would be interested how often has something like this been proposed the last several decades?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
What would be the reasoning behind wanting to have the same guy for more than 8 years? I can't think of a single reason as to why this would be a good ideA. 8 years is more than enough. I'm a strong supporter of term limits for Congress as well, 1 term for a Senator, 3 terms for a Congressman. 6 years, get out! No career politicians!

nobama

What would be the reasoning behind wanting to have the same guy for more than 8 years? I can't think of a single reason as to why this would be a good ideA. 8 years is more than enough. I'm a strong supporter of term limits for Congress as well, 1 term for a Senator, 3 terms for a Congressman. 6 years, get out! No career politicians!

The reasoning behind this (behind closed doors) scam is because obama is a dick-tator and he cant "change" this country enough in the 8yrs he will be king. I dont think its a good idea to have that jackass for 8 minutes let alone 8 yrs. But the sheep have spoken.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
All politicians should be given two and only two terms. One in office, and one in prison.

LkWd_Don

I doubt this will get ratified by the states, since they pretend we still have some resemblance to a federation.

I would be interested how often has something like this been proposed the last several decades?

I would have to do a bit of research to get an accurate number. The present Library of Congress site only goes back to the 101st Congress which would have been 1989-1990.

The 22nd was only proposed in 1947 and ratified in 1951, so it is not cmpleted its seventh decade.

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_Am22.html

The 101st and 102nd Congress did not have such a proposal.

The 103rd had H.J.RES.107
Proposed by Rep McNulty, Michael R. [NY-21] & co-sponsored by Rep Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [NY-28], Rep Shays, Christopher [CT-4]

The 104th had H.J.RES.71
Proposed by Rep McNulty, Michael R. [NY-21] & co-sponsored by Rep Shays, Christopher [CT-4], Rep Tanner, John S. [TN-8]

We then went till the 107th Congress before H.J.RES.39
Poposed by Rep Hoyer, Steny H. [MD-5]
with 6 cosponsors
Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-26] - 3/20/2001
Rep Frank, Barney [MA-4] - 3/20/2001
Rep Hyde, Henry J. [IL-6] - 3/20/2001
Rep Pallone, Frank, Jr. [NJ-6] - 3/20/2001
Rep Sabo, Martin Olav [MN-5] - 3/20/2001
Rep Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [WI-9] - 3/20/2001

The 108th Congress, it was H.J.RES.25.IH
Proposed by Rep Hoyer, Steny H. [MD-5]
with 7 cosponsors
Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 2/25/2003
Rep Frank, Barney [MA-4] - 2/25/2003
Rep Hastings, Alcee L. [FL-23] - 6/9/2003
Rep Hyde, Henry J. [IL-6] - 2/25/2003
Rep Pallone, Frank, Jr. [NJ-6] - 2/25/2003
Rep Sabo, Martin Olav [MN-5] - 2/25/2003
Rep Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [WI-5] - 2/25/2003

In the 109th Congress, it was H.J.RES.24.IH
Proposed by Rep Hoyer, Steny H. [MD-5]
and 4 cosponsors
Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 2/17/2005
Rep Pallone, Frank, Jr. [NJ-6] - 2/17/2005
Rep Sabo, Martin Olav [MN-5] - 2/17/2005
Rep Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [WI-5] - 2/17/2005

Nothing between then and now.
Now, not only is the 113th Congress proposing to repeal the 22nd Amendment, but they are also proposing with H.J.RES.16.IH to repeal something that many will agree with. They are seeking to repeal the 16th Amendment.
Sponsor: Rep King, Steve [IA-4] (introduced 1/4/2013) Cosponsors (1)

I wish there were more cosponsors on that one.
http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_Am16.html

Last edited: