Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NOLA: Physically detained and disarmed by Whole Foods store cop: Sgt. Wade Boswer

NOLA: Physically detained and disarmed by Whole Foods store cop: Sgt. Wade Boswer

I'm at the deli asking a question when all of the sudden an arm comes from behind and around my throat and another hand is taking my firearm out of my holster.

I am marched through the store before all appearances with my hands behind my back. People I know are looking at me like I just stole something. I'm forced into a storage room by the store cop who physically detains me me for "carrying a firearm in the store". When asked for ID, I take the opportunity to also grab my phone and film this aftermath.

I have since unwound, but I'm still pretty shook up. I feel embarrassed, violated and humiliated. My argument is this: If you don't want firearms in your store fine, put up a sign or politely ask the individual to leave, but this man snuck up behind me and put me in some kind of choke hold and took my firearm!

I want to take action against this NODP officer and Whole Foods. How do I go about getting the security tapes, if they haven't deleted them already? I want the whole world to see how this store cop just ambushed and disarmed me. Mr. Bowser, if you end up reading this, I have but one question: Did it feel good? Do you feel powerful disarming American citizens? Have you no shame?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-13-2015 at 05:21 PM. Reason: deleted exclamation point

Banned
    Sue the store and sue the employee in his personal capacity. You can subpena the tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sue the store and sue the employee in his personal capacity. You can subpena the tapes.
    What would be the first step? Should I walk in to the 2nd district police station tomorrow morning and file a report or should I have this at the time?

Wowwie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
    What would be the first step? Should I walk in to the 2nd district police station tomorrow morning and file a report or should I have this at the time?
    DELETE ALL THE DETAILS, from your post,, NOW!!!
    Hire a good lawyer,,, Tomorrow...
    FOIA ALL the tapes.
    Sue the COP and the department and the store!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

You are both very, very lucky that did not end up in something more violent. If there was any extensive defensive training on firearm retention, it could have been really bad. A seasoned officer should have thought of that instead of just coming up from behind.

If he felt you were that much of a threat, he should have announced who he was and given a verbal command.
    What he did was extremely dangerous.

Re: NOLA: Physically detained and disarmed by Whole Foods store cop: Sgt. Wade Boswer

The officer cheerfully admitted to assaulting you, then went on to threaten you. The officer has demonstrated that he is a clear and present threat to the public and should be immediately relieved of duty so as to protect the people of New Orleans.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MNMGoneShooting View Post
    You are both very, very lucky that did not end up in something more violent. If there was any extensive defensive training on firearm retention, it could have been really bad. A seasoned officer should have thought of that instead of just coming up from behind.

If he felt you were that much of a threat, he should have announced who he was and given a verbal command.
    What he did was extremely dangerous.
    I want to re-emphasize that your life was in danger at this point. You need to find a great lawyer who understands the intricacies of defensive firearm retention and what could have happened here.

If someone was to go for my firearm from behind me, the first thing I'm doing is regaining control of that firearm; PARTICULARLY if there is some sort of offensive physical contact as well. Without eyes in the back of the head, this would be a bad guy trying to get good guy's gun scenario. Obviously, trying to regain your firearm and taking a defensive measure against an (unknown at the time) seasoned police officer is BAD JU JU and you could have been killed.

Make no mistake about that... your life was in danger. Get a lawyer who understands.
    Last edited by MNMGoneShooting; 01-06-2013 at 08:38 AM.

NOLA: Physically detained and disarmed by Whole Foods store cop: Sgt. Wade Boswer

Was he in a uniform?

I wonder what might have happened if you were shopping with an armed spouse or friend who witnessed someone disarming you?

Wow, with all the what if 's here.

Good luck in any action filed.

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    Was he in a uniform?

I wonder what might have happened if you were shopping with an armed spouse or friend who witnessed someone disarming you?

Wow, with all the what if 's here.

Good luck in any action filed.
    Video shows he's identified in uniform; however, the stealth approach and physical altercation from behind was still clearly life-threatening for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MNMGoneShooting
    +1
    My first thought was "why didn't you try to fight back?". You didn't know who it was.
    Push down so your pistol goes back in the holster,
    twist & strike whatever you can reach until the arm quits choking you.

Might also get a holster with different retention.

But definitely delete the details & start calling lawyers Monday. If you can't find one locally, I'll suggest one who's based in GA but handles cases across the country. He's very 2A friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

If you carry a gun you should also be carrying the card of a lawyer you can call to speak for you should you have to draw your weapon to defend yourself. This lawyer should be the person you are talking to. Not a bunch of people on an internet discussion board.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Question

Thanks guys, I have since edited out the dialog and details of the incident and will be seeking legal representation. I know most lawyers specialize in certain areas, what type of lawyer could handle this?

Thanks guys, I have since edited out the dialog and details of the incident and will be seeking legal representation. I know most lawyers specialize in certain areas, what type of lawyer could handle this?
    Were you arrested? Just a yes or no.

I agree with others who have advised you to get a lawyer. Please keep us informed so we may come to your aid if necessary.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Were you arrested? Just a yes or no.

I agree with others who have advised you to get a lawyer. Please keep us informed so we may come to your aid if necessary.

No, I was not arrested.

File criminal charges against the officer, file also federal civil rights charges. He assaulted you while you were obeying the law. Since he was wearing a gun during the assault it is aggravated assault, a felony in most states. This officer should be fired pronto!
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    I'm going to laugh in the face of the next cop who warns against OC because "somebody will take your gun away from you."

Yeah! Cops and security guards who illegally seize me and my gun!

I think we now have what? One confirmed criminal gun grab from an OCer, two security guards, one of who got a dislocated knee and busted nose by the intense immediate defense of the OCer, and this cop.

Cops and security guards are way ahead of criminals on this.

Oh, plus all the cops who illegally detained OCers and temporarily seized their guns. That right there puts cops in the lead.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    No, I was not arrested.
    The civil rights law definition for an arrest seems to be broader than the evidentiary defintion--the one used to determine whether evidence is to be excluded/inadmissable in a trial. You may very well have been arrested for the purposes of your civil rights. Ask your attorney.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    File criminal charges against the officer, file also federal civil rights charges. He assaulted you while you were obeying the law. Since he was wearing a gun during the assault it is aggravated assault, a felony in most states. This is truth
    This officer should be fired prontoThis ain't never gonna happen(spoken in good old boy accent!
    You will get slammed enough for not being aware of your surroundings.
    The part about getting grabbed from behind tho, that was a very dangerous situation. I carry a secondary weapon that would have been deployed in your situation. This would be dangerous for both parties. This was a very bad move by the officer and his partner and it had the potential for innocent bystanders injured.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 01-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

If this story is completly true, which I have no doupt that it is. This cop needs charges filed on him. Get off OCDO and start doing something. He knew you were no threat and engaged in a legal activity. He wanted to put you in your submissive place, that we are helpless people who must be protected by only trained professionals. I have no doupt that a trained LEO could do the same to me. I have many physical disabillities, and a sharp grab around my neck would either put me in an OR under a doctor or worse. Please dont let this man get by with what he did. I practice being aware of my suroundings at all times, as im sure you do also, and will be even more so now. Good luck to you.
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

Lightbulb

Well, I just left Whole Foods Arabella station and they still have yet to post a sign, so I guess open-carry is still ok.

FRONT ENTRANCE:

BACK ENTRANCE:

Last edited by Monaco; 01-06-2013 at 05:14 PM.

I can't find the link right now, but it is Whole Foods policy that guns are not allowed, as they believe it "does not enhance your shopping experience."
    Last edited by PistolPackingMomma; 01-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eamelhorn View Post
    If this story is completly true, which I have no doupt that it is. This cop needs charges filed on him. Get off OCDO and start doing something. He knew you were no threat and engaged in a legal activity. He wanted to put you in your submissive place, that we are helpless people who must be protected by only trained professionals. I have no doupt that a trained LEO could do the same to me. I have many physical disabillities, and a sharp grab around my neck would either put me in an OR under a doctor or worse. Please dont let this man get by with what he did. I practice being aware of my suroundings at all times, as im sure you do also, and will be even more so now. Good luck to you.
    I called NOLA PD non emergency PD, I will call them again tomorrow to see what action they will take against the officer. The number for complaints against officers is 504-658-6800. Enough of us call maybe they will do something with this cavernous backside.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Right now, my main concern is obtaining the footage, as they may delete before I can procure sufficient legal representation. Is there anything I can do on my end, such as writing a letter- to legally subpoena the tapes?
    Last edited by Monaco; 01-06-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Right now, my main concern is obtaining the footage, as they may delete before I can procure sufficient legal representation. Is there anything I can do on my end, such as writing a letter- to legally subpoena the tapes?
    You can inform them formally that you are seeking legal redress, and that any destruction of evidence in the matter will warrant criminal prosecution for evidence tampering/obstructing justice. Then get a attorney ASAP to file a order for them to turn over the tapes. Most of these stores hold the tapes for a weak, but act quickly.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

They used to have mine in Dallas posted, so I stopped shopping there. It is now not posted. Of course, they no longer represent their promise of healthy food, just expensive. The vitamin area is now less than 1/4 of what it was, and they devote quite a bit of space to snack chips, soft drinks and beer.

Anyway, good luck with your case. NOLA PD has never been the paragon of virtue, so good luck with that. There are still Feds in town due to police corruption there.

Your story has inspired me to take some training in retention before I carry openly in NOLA.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast