• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOLA: Physically detained and disarmed by Whole Foods store cop: Sgt. Wade Boswer

Monaco

I'm at the deli asking a question when all of the sudden an arm comes from behind and around my throat and another hand is taking my firearm out of my holster.

I am marched through the store before all appearances with my hands behind my back. People I know are looking at me like I just stole something. I'm forced into a storage room by the store cop who physically detains me me for "carrying a firearm in the store". When asked for ID, I take the opportunity to also grab my phone and film this aftermath.

[video=youtube;8Q_E6hDEazo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_E6hDEazo[/video]

I have since unwound, but I'm still pretty shook up. I feel embarrassed, violated and humiliated. My argument is this: If you don't want firearms in your store fine, put up a sign or politely ask the individual to leave, but this man snuck up behind me and put me in some kind of choke hold and took my firearm!

I want to take action against this NODP officer and Whole Foods. How do I go about getting the security tapes, if they haven't deleted them already? I want the whole world to see how this store cop just ambushed and disarmed me. Mr. Bowser, if you end up reading this, I have but one question: Did it feel good? Do you feel powerful disarming American citizens? Have you no shame?

Last edited by a moderator:

MNMGoneShooting

You are both very, very lucky that did not end up in something more violent. If there was any extensive defensive training on firearm retention, it could have been really bad. A seasoned officer should have thought of that instead of just coming up from behind.

If he felt you were that much of a threat, he should have announced who he was and given a verbal command.
What he did was extremely dangerous.

Jack House

The officer cheerfully admitted to assaulting you, then went on to threaten you. The officer has demonstrated that he is a clear and present threat to the public and should be immediately relieved of duty so as to protect the people of New Orleans.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MNMGoneShooting

You are both very, very lucky that did not end up in something more violent. If there was any extensive defensive training on firearm retention, it could have been really bad. A seasoned officer should have thought of that instead of just coming up from behind.

If he felt you were that much of a threat, he should have announced who he was and given a verbal command.
What he did was extremely dangerous.

I want to re-emphasize that your life was in danger at this point. You need to find a great lawyer who understands the intricacies of defensive firearm retention and what could have happened here.

If someone was to go for my firearm from behind me, the first thing I'm doing is regaining control of that firearm; PARTICULARLY if there is some sort of offensive physical contact as well. Without eyes in the back of the head, this would be a bad guy trying to get good guy's gun scenario. Obviously, trying to regain your firearm and taking a defensive measure against an (unknown at the time) seasoned police officer is BAD JU JU and you could have been killed.

Make no mistake about that... your life was in danger. Get a lawyer who understands.

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
Was he in a uniform?

I wonder what might have happened if you were shopping with an armed spouse or friend who witnessed someone disarming you?

Wow, with all the what if 's here.

Good luck in any action filed.

MNMGoneShooting

Was he in a uniform?

I wonder what might have happened if you were shopping with an armed spouse or friend who witnessed someone disarming you?

Wow, with all the what if 's here.

Good luck in any action filed.

Video shows he's identified in uniform; however, the stealth approach and physical altercation from behind was still clearly life-threatening for both of them.

MKEgal

MNMGoneShooting said:
+1
My first thought was "why didn't you try to fight back?". You didn't know who it was.
Push down so your pistol goes back in the holster,
twist & strike whatever you can reach until the arm quits choking you.

Might also get a holster with different retention.

But definitely delete the details & start calling lawyers Monday. If you can't find one locally, I'll suggest one who's based in GA but handles cases across the country. He's very 2A friendly.

sraacke

If you carry a gun you should also be carrying the card of a lawyer you can call to speak for you should you have to draw your weapon to defend yourself. This lawyer should be the person you are talking to. Not a bunch of people on an internet discussion board.

Monaco

Thanks guys, I have since edited out the dialog and details of the incident and will be seeking legal representation. I know most lawyers specialize in certain areas, what type of lawyer could handle this?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks guys, I have since edited out the dialog and details of the incident and will be seeking legal representation. I know most lawyers specialize in certain areas, what type of lawyer could handle this?

Were you arrested? Just a yes or no.

I agree with others who have advised you to get a lawyer. Please keep us informed so we may come to your aid if necessary.

WalkingWolf

File criminal charges against the officer, file also federal civil rights charges. He assaulted you while you were obeying the law. Since he was wearing a gun during the assault it is aggravated assault, a felony in most states. This officer should be fired pronto!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm going to laugh in the face of the next cop who warns against OC because "somebody will take your gun away from you."

Yeah! Cops and security guards who illegally seize me and my gun!

I think we now have what? One confirmed criminal gun grab from an OCer, two security guards, one of who got a dislocated knee and busted nose by the intense immediate defense of the OCer, and this cop.

Cops and security guards are way ahead of criminals on this.

Oh, plus all the cops who illegally detained OCers and temporarily seized their guns. That right there puts cops in the lead.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No, I was not arrested.

The civil rights law definition for an arrest seems to be broader than the evidentiary defintion--the one used to determine whether evidence is to be excluded/inadmissable in a trial. You may very well have been arrested for the purposes of your civil rights. Ask your attorney.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
File criminal charges against the officer, file also federal civil rights charges. He assaulted you while you were obeying the law. Since he was wearing a gun during the assault it is aggravated assault, a felony in most states. This is truth
This officer should be fired prontoThis ain't never gonna happen(spoken in good old boy accent!

You will get slammed enough for not being aware of your surroundings.
The part about getting grabbed from behind tho, that was a very dangerous situation. I carry a secondary weapon that would have been deployed in your situation. This would be dangerous for both parties. This was a very bad move by the officer and his partner and it had the potential for innocent bystanders injured.

Last edited:

eamelhorn

If this story is completly true, which I have no doupt that it is. This cop needs charges filed on him. Get off OCDO and start doing something. He knew you were no threat and engaged in a legal activity. He wanted to put you in your submissive place, that we are helpless people who must be protected by only trained professionals. I have no doupt that a trained LEO could do the same to me. I have many physical disabillities, and a sharp grab around my neck would either put me in an OR under a doctor or worse. Please dont let this man get by with what he did. I practice being aware of my suroundings at all times, as im sure you do also, and will be even more so now. Good luck to you.

Monaco

Well, I just left Whole Foods Arabella station and they still have yet to post a sign, so I guess open-carry is still ok.

FRONT ENTRANCE:
1zvsar4.jpg

b8mgqo.jpg

2eba6av.jpg

BACK ENTRANCE:

2m61pw9.jpg

lhb7n.jpg

2m2xpas.jpg

Last edited: