• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignorance to open carry

Mattimusmaximus

I was OC here at the tanasbourne mall in Hillsboro went into target not a word about my rock island 1911 .45 went to old navy the same. Went into Ross and was followed by a strange man who had to cry wolf to the "security" more like door greeters ha. And he came up to me with his manager and asked me for my badge... Um wtf? I told him I didn't have one. He said it is illegal to open carry in oregon. Once again wtf? I told him no it wasn't I pulled up oregons open carry webpage and my pamphlet and showed him otherwise.. He said when he got his concealed they told him it was illegal... I showed him once again and was asked to leave so I did. The strange man still following.. I had my gf daughter with me. Holding her and walking back towards target/my car he was still there. I got about half way there and stopped to tie the little ones shoes he stopped. I stood up and asked if he needed anything? He wanted to make sure I left completely since I had a gun I laughed and told him if he didn't leave me and the child alone I would call the police for harassment and if continued in his threatening manner I would have to take more aggressive action hand at my side.. He walked away after an awkward 10 sec I went and continued to target bought an awesome camera, turtle beaches met back with the gf and went home.. I can't believe the ignorance of most people now and days.. Any of u have something like that happen?

MNMGoneShooting

I was OC here at the tanasbourne mall in Hillsboro went into target not a word about my rock island 1911 .45 went to old navy the same. Went into Ross and was followed by a strange man who had to cry wolf to the "security" more like door greeters ha. And he came up to me with his manager and asked me for my badge... Um wtf? I told him I didn't have one. He said it is illegal to open carry in oregon. Once again wtf? I told him no it wasn't I pulled up oregons open carry webpage and my pamphlet and showed him otherwise.. He said when he got his concealed they told him it was illegal... I showed him once again and was asked to leave so I did. The strange man still following.. I had my gf daughter with me. Holding her and walking back towards target/my car he was still there. I got about half way there and stopped to tie the little ones shoes he stopped. I stood up and asked if he needed anything? He wanted to make sure I left completely since I had a gun I laughed and told him if he didn't leave me and the child alone I would call the police for harassment and if continued in his threatening manner I would have to take more aggressive action hand at my side.. He walked away after an awkward 10 sec I went and continued to target bought an awesome camera, turtle beaches met back with the gf and went home.. I can't believe the ignorance of most people now and days.. Any of u have something like that happen?

Not yet! Waiting for it. I miss Tanasbourne mall. Haven't been there in about 30 years. Ex-Beavertonite.

hermannr

Last time I visited Beaverton, they didn't seem to be the type that enjoys firearms in any sense. Maybe if that's discovered not to be true, I might consider. Northern VA is getting run amok with DC infiltration....

There are those that do not like weapons in Beverton, and Portland, but you know what...not very many even notice...they are too busy with their own thoughts, and their own little world. I don't go down into the Portland area much, only to vivt a few relatives that still live down there. Never had a problem...and I OC any time I leave the house.

hermannr

I had either an officer who had C.E.R.T training, or a civilian bozoid with same ask me why I was carrying and demand my weapon's license.
I posted about it on GeorgiaPacking.Org in the thread "Dude, what else do I realllyyy have to know about her?". It was a hilarious encounter.

You may or may not have missed an opportunity. It is very illegal to impersonate a cop. I would have started "are you a LEO?" if he said yes, I would say, OK, let me see your id, and been taking my notepad and pen out. (assuming he was a cop, and had ID...If he had no id, I would have arrested him on the spot for impersonating an officer.)

When you get his ID and write his name and badge # down... (if he is a cop) next you ask for his supervisors Name, rank and badge number...when he asks why you want that information, you say so I can file a formal complaint against you. In Prouse V Delaware the US Spreme Court ruled random stops for a license check are illegal.

Just because I am openly carrying a firearm, which is a legal activity, you have no reason to ask for my license. (and at least in WA, you do not need a license to OC on foot, ever)

Mattimusmaximus

We'll anytime anyone wants to join me I have the next three days off ill be out and about and OC the entire time hit me up we can meet and greet (Hillsboro, Beaverton, aloha, Cornelius) call or text
503-410-6290

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-