• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Problem Wells Fargo Virgina Beach Providence Square

Mongoose72

On friday 1/4/2012 I went into the Wells Fargo at providence square in Virginia Beach to make a cash withdraw; I was open carrying. I usually do not open carry into a bank but since I was withdrawing a few thousand to pay my rent for the next 2 months and some bills, and I really couldn't afford to lose this money, I did open carry on this occasion. As I was at the counter filling out the withdraw slip the manager Nicholas Roth asked me if I was law enforcement? I replied no, but that Virginia was an open carry state (I knew he was asking about my gun). He then asked me to not bring my gun in next time that I come there as it scares some of his workers. I said I know that wells fargo branches in this area have been robbed alot recently and that as I was making a large cash withdraw that is why I was open carrying. Additionally to my understanding Wells Fargo has a policy of following the state law and as Virginia is an open carry state that I was not breaking any corporate policy. He again nicely but firmly asked me not to bring a gun in next time. I told him that I would call the head office to see if their policy had changed but he told me not to bother that he would do it. He then proceeded to change the subject to offering me additional services. I took his card and left after my transaction was complete.

Later that day I went to another Wells fargo branch to do another, but smaller transaction. I was told by the other manager (whose husband by coincidence is a VCDL memeber) that Mr Roth must be left over from the Wachovia days and that Wells Fargo has no policy against guns. I called the 800 number and spoke to a superviser about this and she is putting in calls to Mr. Roth's district manager to see what their policy in Virgina is. This superviser seemed to have an antigun bias as well and told me that she was a former police officer and that a manager has a right to exclude guns as it is private property. I agreed with this but informed her that they didn't have the right to violate corporate policy and that gun owners in Virgina take these rights serious enough to boycott anti-gun businesses.

Anyone advise/ help would be appreciated.
the branch location is:

905 Kempsville rd
va bch, va, 23464
(757) 486-9490
Manager: Nicholas Roth

Last edited:

ryan7068

I am also a wells fargo customer and am upset that this happened..I have oc'd there multiple times with no problem.....I will also send emails to Mr. Roth as well as corporate saying if this is going to be allowed that I will Happily take my money elsewhere. I will also inform them that many other people have been informed of this situation. If I don't receive a reply i will call.

ryan7068

To whom it may concern,

While a friend of mine was visiting a branch of yours in Providence Square, Virginia Beach, VA, he was firmly asked to leave by a Mr. Roth for lawfully carrying a firearm. Upon contacting your corporate office, he was informed that the manager had the right to do so as it was private property. I certainly appreciate property rights but in allowing this singular anti-gun manager to request one of your customers to disarm, you are also taking away his right to self-defense. I find this quite offensive and respectfully request this situation be remedied immediately. If it is not, I will happily take my business elsewhere. Many potential Wells Fargo customers are informed of this situation and will be kept apprised of any updates. Thank you.

Mongoose72

Wells Fargo Corporate Policy

To whom it may concern,

While a friend of mine was visiting a branch of yours in Providence Square, Virginia Beach, VA, he was firmly asked to leave by a Mr. Roth for lawfully carrying a firearm. Upon contacting your corporate office, he was informed that the manager had the right to do so as it was private property. I certainly appreciate property rights but in allowing this singular anti-gun manager to request one of your customers to disarm, you are also taking away his right to self-defense. I find this quite offensive and respectfully request this situation be remedied immediately. If it is not, I will happily take my business elsewhere. Many potential Wells Fargo customers are informed of this situation and will be kept apprised of any updates. Thank you.

Ryan,

I appreciate your help. One clarification however is that the supervisor at the 800 number didn't know the corporate policy and neither does Mr. Roth as he was somewhat ambivalent when I challenged him on it. Perhaps he does know it and doesn’t like it. As far as I know Wells Fargo has no anti-gun policy and merely follows the laws of the individual state (like Wal-Mart, etc.). The other branch manager confirmed this as well. Mr. Roth could also be a holdover from the Wachovia era and their antigun policy. When Wells Fargo took over all of the anti-gun signs came down. I think that the problem here is probably not Wells Fargo's policy; but rather their enforcement of this policy on individual managers.

Mongoose72

Mr Roth Contact Info

Got an email address? I would be glad to comment to mr roth

His email is: nicholas.roth@wellsfargo.com

But it may be more effective to reach his supervisor as Mr. Roth probably won't change his personal viewpoint, but he definitely doesn't want the head office know that he is violating their policies. Additionally, I would say that if anyone on his staff including himself is actually that fearful of firearms then they should probably get a new profession.

MKEgal

I have carried (both ways) into several local branches of Wells Fargo.
In fact, I opened my account there while OC.
Never had a problem with anyone.
I think it's that one manager, and maybe a couple subordinates, who aren't aware of company policy.

ryan7068

this is their response:

Dear Ryan:

Thank you for contacting Wells Fargo. My name is Sam, and it is my
pleasure to assist you today.

Wells Fargo recognizes your Constitutional right under the Second
Amendment to keep and bear arms. However, we also seek to provide a
secure environment for our customers and employees to conduct daily
business. Any signs that are posted in our store locations are not
intended to facilitate the physical prevention or intervention of a
criminal act by any of our customers or employees. That responsibility
rests solely with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.

With safety in mind, Wells Fargo has prohibited the transportation or
use of weapons on its private property, except by law enforcement
officials. While a number of states issue concealed weapons permits to
citizens, such a license does not grant one the paramount right to carry
a weapon on private property. Weapons are not allowed on Wells Fargo
grounds because of the possibility of an accident, resulting in the
injury or even death of an innocent customer or employee, no matter how
careful and responsible one might be.

Wells Fargo reserves the right to refuse service to anyone bringing
weapons on its property. Signs are meant to be a clear indication of
this policy to lawful citizens and customers.

On behalf of Wells Fargo, thank you for your business. We are happy to
have you as our customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you
today.

Sincerely,
Sam M
Wells Fargo Online Customer Service

Last edited:

ryan7068

I am now shopping for a new place to store my money.....does anyone know any hampton roads banks that specifically have no anti-gun policy?

Mongoose72

I am now shopping for a new place to store my money.....does anyone know any hampton roads banks that specifically have no anti-gun policy?

Ryan,

Unfortunately Sam M. is probably just a customer service rep. He doesn't even know that there are no signs. We need to reach someone in a position of real authority at the head office, and they probably won't be available until tomorrow. Apart from this issue, Wells Fargo has a lot of ineptitude with their employees.

ryan7068

Ryan,

Unfortunately Sam M. is probably just a customer service rep. He doesn't even know that there are no signs. We need to reach someone in a position of real authority at the head office, and they probably won't be available until tomorrow. Apart from this issue, Wells Fargo has a lot of ineptitude with their employees.

good call.....I don't wanna turn into an anti-gunner and start having knee-jerk reactions:lol:

Esanders2008

This is just awful. I have had similar experiences with Navy Fed, and if I didn't have an auto loan and my wife a credit card, I would most definitely be switching institutions. I have heard that people have not had any issues with PNC, and there are a few branches scattered around the area.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Kudos to you for pursuing the issue!

You have PNC Bank down there? I have been to numerous PNC banks in both VA and PA and never had an issue. They also have great customer service.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have OC'd into my local Wells Fargo, formerly a Wachovia branch, regularly over the past several months with no problems whatsoever. The last time was four days ago. It is my understanding from once seeing a former letter, that their policy is to adhere to the laws of the state in which they are operating. Granted, this letter is not current, but I have to believe this is still their policy since the gun buster signs that were present when Wachovia was there came down as soon as the Wells Fargo signs went up.

A few weeks a customer at a teller station next to me said, "Don't you want to cover that up?" to which I said, "This is Virginia... no need to". His teller just shrugged his shoulders as if it was no bid deal.

It does sound as though Mr. Roth is either a Wachovia holdover, is not aware of corporate policy, or is trying to assert his own bias. It is good that the OP is following this up and hopefully Mr. Roth will be educated as to what is acceptable and what is not.

Last edited:

godspel-13

I have OC'ed at Bayport Credit Union at City Center of Newport News for nearly 8 months and I have not had the first issue there. I have not OC'ed at any other locations, but as for this one, they have not batted an eyelash at my firearm.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Ryan,

Unfortunately Sam M. is probably just a customer service rep. ...

It also looked liked a canned response that was at his disposal.

Can we confirm that this is Wells Fargo corporate policy? I have money in both Wells Fargo and Chase accounts. I've been a Wells Fargo customer for nearly 30 years. I will take out every cent if this is their corporate policy. I did it once before to a bank that they later bought. When Wells Fargo took over, the "no guns" signs came down, and my money went back in and has been there since. But that is still conditional on their policies, even on a corporate level that has never affected my local branches.

My business banks at Chase, and I was carrying in there when I opened the account. But I've admittedly not examined their corporate policies either.

MagiK_SacK

I know to most BOA is the devil and their banking policies can be a bit questionable. That being said I have never had a problem OCing there.