• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW class

mechanicworkman

1. It all depends on how far you want to drive.

2. How much you want to spend to take a class.

3. How much knowledge Value you really wish to gain at this class. If you are merely looking to meet the requirements outlined by law in order to receive the CCW then i would say go the cheapest route.

If you are like me! I would much rather drive a ways, spend another 20 bucks for an instructor that is well worth the money and the information I take out of the class.

Years ago when I originally took my CCW class I left feeling that it was VERY informative and that i had gained some important knowledge.------Now the bad news--------after being on here I have learned that some of what was put out in the class. After being told some bad information taking it as fact I don't have the same great feelings about the class that I once did.

There are instructors that are better than others. Some not much worth the money you pay them to teach the course other than the signature on the class completion certificate and paper.

I am not sure why people don't want to refer people personally at lease when they have good experience with them but, who knows.

IF you come on this site much you will notice that a few of the members are CCW instructors and offer courses that you so desire. In fact after reading some of the threads they have written and commented on I kinda wish i would have taken my course through them as I do enjoy their viewpoint and remaining neutral on subjects when it didn't align with their way of thinking.

I.E.----I had an instructor that was very PRO-CCW & NOT remotely keen on the open carrying side of things. While i understand that his class was geared around CCW he was very clear that OPEN Carrying should NOT be attempted in Missouri I in fact left his class under the belief that it was AGAINST THE LAW.-----Over the course of the last 5 yrs I have found other information that was incorrectly stated as well.

SO if your seeking information as well as the credentials to get your CCW. Definitely choose your instructor carefully.

If you would like to know who i would take my course from if i had to do it over again just send me a PM and i will send you his screen name on here and I think it has the website listed under there.

BAMF

Thanks for the info. Here's my thoughts on it.

I would prefer not to take a class as well as pay for it. I have firearms training and can read the laws like everyone else.
But since I have to do it I would like it to be worth my dollar. You can never have too much knowledge and who knows might learn something new. Peoples experiences and opinions are nice to help pick and choose. I don't want a 100 dollar signature

mechanicworkman

I figure that in general you get what you pay for.

Sure I don't think i need a CCW either but the law says if i want to carry concealed OR OPEN in my town I need a CCW. I am afforded some protections having a CCW so i got one.

I too have firearms training training as well for what its worth, heck I have a few combat tours under my belt in Iraq but, none of which help me if i am stopped CCWing without a permit.

There are many instructors throughout the state some closer to you than the one I stated. After I did a map quest search i think the link to the one i sent you was like 130 miles away from you.

Good Luck on finding an instructor!

Redbaron007

I would prefer not to take a class as well as pay for it. I have firearms training and can read the laws like everyone else.
But since I have to do it I would like it to be worth my dollar. You can never have too much knowledge and who knows might learn something new. Peoples experiences and opinions are nice to help pick and choose. I don't want a 100 dollar signature

The problem with several of the instructors is they believe THEY know what is best for you as MW stated, they will give you their opinion as if it is law; very similar to some LEOs.

IMHO, if you have firearms background and are not needing any additional tactical training right now; don't worry about the rest...because much of the rest is only fluff and stuff. If it were me, I wouldn't spend anymore than I had to. If you are wanting more tactical training, different story. But to just get your CCW...it doesn't make much sense.

As you stated, there is a wealth of info on the interweb....you have to discern what is true and accurate.....this is the same in some of the CCW classes.

Good luck!

REALteach4u

Here's the problem with that. CCW instruction means you have to assemble a course to present to students and maintain that information so it's up to date, all of which takes time. You have to submit that course information along with your credentials to most Sheriff's which may cost money to send, you have to/should maintain some sort of insurance (heard of a couple that didn't and they won't be in business long), you have to store the participation documents somewhere, business licensing as well, nothing is cheap and it all costs money at some point. Classes are booking out weeks in advance throughout the State and that usually means that Sheriff's departments are going to start booking out appointments as well.

Check your PM's.

A suggestion since you're in Bolivar....contact Rick out at Bear Creek Tactical (Stockton, Mo) and see when his next CCW class is and what his prices are. There's likely other instructors in your area, this one just happenes to have a range on-site. Check around, you may just find an instructor who is willing to give you the "buddy" deal.

REALteach4u

I completely forgot about the little shop on the square in Bolivar. They might be able to give you a referral in the immediate area. It's a small town, so you might be pleasantly surprised what you run into.

peterarthur

My wife is about to be certified. After the crappy class she just took (and her first one 3 years ago), she has come to realize that she can do a hell of a lot better than some instructors already out there. But if you can't wait for her, oh well... ;) I am sure someone here knows someone...

Marc

My wife is about to be certified. After the crappy class she just took (and her first one 3 years ago), she has come to realize that she can do a hell of a lot better than some instructors already out there. But if you can't wait for her, oh well... ;) I am sure someone here knows someone...

any idea what your wife will charge? and will she be willing to do 2 seperate 4 hour classes rather than one strait 8 hour class?