Thread: Federal Legislation and Executive Orders

Federal Legislation and Executive Orders

Hey all,

This is obviously a hot topic right now for all Americans of every political view. Our weapons are being called into question as if they have anything to do with why crimes happen in this country Thus far I have sent a letter a week to our senators and my congressman regarding knocking down further gun control. Starting this week i will make regular calls. I just thought I'd start this thread for discussion on the topic and to look for any other thoughts or ideas how to affect change at the federal level short of going up to D.C. every week of course. Apparently self defense is a crime there
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    You might want to wait on Grapeshot's opinion.
    I certainly have no objection but there may be better forums here for this.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You might want to wait on Grapeshot's opinion.
    I certainly have no objection but there may be better forums here for this.
    Are you referring to the political section on the main OCDO forum page?
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post
    Are you referring to the political section on the main OCDO forum page?
    It could be several. It doesn't exactly fit the state forum profile though and that's why I mentioned it....again, it may be fine but it's always a shame to have a thread moved when it's an important subject.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. And this one seems to fit the bill for my discussion. I sent my Congressman a letter about a week ago. It was one of skidmark's letters. This is the reply I received.

January 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Sanders,

Thank you very much for contacting me to express your views on the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. I value and give careful consideration to the good counsel that I receive, and refer to that good counsel as the "wisdom of the district."

On Friday, December 14, I turned the television on expecting to see an update on the "fiscal cliff." Instead the screen filled with images from the unspeakable tragedy which was still unfolding in Newtown, Connecticut. A safe haven for children had become a killing field, enveloping Sandy Hook Elementary School and our country in anguish too great to comprehend. Teri and I join America in mourning over the loss of innocent life. Our deepest sympathies, prayers, and heartfelt condolences are with the families of the victims.

The horror at Sandy Hook Elementary makes tragically clear that we are not meeting our obligation to protect our children. That is profoundly wrong. We must take wise steps to reduce mass shootings and gun violence. Doing nothing is not an option.

A national debate on what those next steps should be continues to create tension between the moral imperative to protect our children with the rights guaranteed in the Second Amendment. I have not immediately demanded that specific steps be taken in response to the tragedy. That's deliberate, because I have come to appreciate the wisdom gained by gathering and reviewing relevant facts; by hearing from you, the residents of the 2nd district; and by taking time to properly assess the alternatives. There are, however, certain foundational principles I hold to be true and which will guide me in this process, including:

· Those suffering from mental illness must have access to proper psychiatric care, but they must not have access to guns.

· Gun ownership is a constitutional right, carrying with it a high burden of responsibility.

· Taking substantive steps to better protect our children and preserving Second Amendment rights are not mutually exclusive ends, though I acknowledge the difficulty in balancing the two.

· President Obama was correct when he stated: "No single law — no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society."

Due diligence is not inaction, and you can expect to see specific updates on my efforts to address this critical topic in upcoming editions of the Rigell Report. Though news coverage of the tragedy will diminish, my commitment to advancing the right steps to better protect our children will remain.

It is important to me that I keep you fully informed regarding how I am representing you in Congress, so please visit my website Rigell.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter, "The Rigell Report." I also encourage you to join me on Facebook at facebook.com/RepScottRigell. Both sites feature timely updates on the votes I am taking on the House floor.

In closing, please know that I consider it a high honor to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.

Mindful that I work for you, I remain

Yours in Freedom,

Scott Rigell
    Member of Congress
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread for this. And this one seems to fit the bill for my discussion. I sent my Congressman a letter about a week ago. It was one of skidmark's letters. This is the reply I received.

January 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Sanders,

Thank you very much for contacting me to express your views on the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. I value and give careful consideration to the good counsel that I receive, and refer to that good counsel as the "wisdom of the district."

On Friday, December 14, I turned the television on expecting to see an update on the "fiscal cliff." Instead the screen filled with images from the unspeakable tragedy which was still unfolding in Newtown, Connecticut. A safe haven for children had become a killing field, enveloping Sandy Hook Elementary School and our country in anguish too great to comprehend. Teri and I join America in mourning over the loss of innocent life. Our deepest sympathies, prayers, and heartfelt condolences are with the families of the victims.

The horror at Sandy Hook Elementary makes tragically clear that we are not meeting our obligation to protect our children. That is profoundly wrong. We must take wise steps to reduce mass shootings and gun violence. Doing nothing is not an option.

A national debate on what those next steps should be continues to create tension between the moral imperative to protect our children with the rights guaranteed in the Second Amendment. I have not immediately demanded that specific steps be taken in response to the tragedy. That's deliberate, because I have come to appreciate the wisdom gained by gathering and reviewing relevant facts; by hearing from you, the residents of the 2nd district; and by taking time to properly assess the alternatives. There are, however, certain foundational principles I hold to be true and which will guide me in this process, including:

· Those suffering from mental illness must have access to proper psychiatric care, but they must not have access to guns.

· Gun ownership is a constitutional right, carrying with it a high burden of responsibility.

· Taking substantive steps to better protect our children and preserving Second Amendment rights are not mutually exclusive ends, though I acknowledge the difficulty in balancing the two.

· President Obama was correct when he stated: "No single law — no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society."

Due diligence is not inaction, and you can expect to see specific updates on my efforts to address this critical topic in upcoming editions of the Rigell Report. Though news coverage of the tragedy will diminish, my commitment to advancing the right steps to better protect our children will remain.

It is important to me that I keep you fully informed regarding how I am representing you in Congress, so please visit my website Rigell.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter, "The Rigell Report." I also encourage you to join me on Facebook at facebook.com/RepScottRigell. Both sites feature timely updates on the votes I am taking on the House floor.

In closing, please know that I consider it a high honor to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.

Mindful that I work for you, I remain

Yours in Freedom,

Scott Rigell
    Member of Congress
    Canned response I got the same email word for word. An aid has probably been delegated to handle all 2nd amendment issues and report later.

That's what I thought.

Better than what I got from Warner....it was a we received your message. You call is very important to us.....blah blah blah. Was not even on topic.

The one I got from Cantor said basically the same thing, if in only three sentences. =/

Important Civics Lesson Gentlemen (and Lady)

Emails and letters count 1. The legislative assistants (who have the real power) score 1 point for every letter or email.

"Hey Boss, we got 23 emails against gun control and 356 for it" They don't mention that 350 of those 356 were from the same person.

1 polite phone call counts 2.
    1 blow them out, gonna tar and feather you before we ride you out of town on a rail, phone call counts 10.
    1 personal visit with a group on lobby day counts 12
    1 personal visit by yourself any other day with a polite "I put your ass in office and can take you out" counts 19.

You get the idea!

BTW Eddy, It was nice meeting you last night. Come to breakfast one Saturday when we can really talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Canned response I got the same email word for word. An aid has probably been delegated to handle all 2nd amendment issues and report later.
    Me too
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Important Civics Lesson Gentlemen (and Lady)

Emails and letters count 1. The legislative assistants (who have the real power) score 1 point for every letter or email.

"Hey Boss, we got 23 emails against gun control and 356 for it" They don't mention that 350 of those 356 were from the same person.

1 polite phone call counts 2.
    1 blow them out, gonna tar and feather you before we ride you out of town on a rail, phone call counts 10.
    1 personal visit with a group on lobby day counts 12
    1 personal visit by yourself any other day with a polite "I put your ass in office and can take you out" counts 19.

You get the idea!

BTW Eddy, It was nice meeting you last night. Come to breakfast one Saturday when we can really talk.
    It was nice meeting you too! I might be able to make breakfast this Saturday (if the wife lets me )

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    It was nice meeting you too! I might be able to make breakfast this Saturday (if the wife lets me )
    I might wear a big gun on Saturday!

Big Guns BTW are on the chopping block in Iowa.

In an interview with the Daily Times Herald in Caroll, Iowa, state Rep. Dan Muhlbauer said governments should start confiscating semi-automatic rifles and other firearms.
    Muhlbauer, a Democrat from the western Iowa town of Manilla, is a cattleman and farmer. The newspaper reported that he owns a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol.
    “We cannot have big guns out here as far as the big guns that are out here, the semi-automatics and all of them,” Muhlbauer told the newspaper during a December 19 audiotaped interview. “We can’t have those running around out here.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/09/io...#ixzz2HWQmZv62
    The fire that burned the Iowa Governors Mansion may take their minds off of BIG GUNS though.
    It near took out the whole trailer park!
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-09-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Is VCDL going to represent VA gun owners?

This Washington Times article shows even state level groups are meeting with Biden to provide inputs for the administration's gun violence task force. Lots of anti groups but apparently only the NRA is talking for gun rights as far as I can tell from this article. You forum members with sources have any indication VCDL is taking the initiative to try to get an invitation to talk for VA gun owners? I know Biden's little cabal will largely blow off any inputs the 2A groups have but it's the principle of the thing. I'd like to know my $25/year is also looking out for my strategic interests as a VA gun owner.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post
    Hey all,

This is obviously a hot topic right now for all Americans of every political view. Our weapons are being called into question as if they have anything to do with why crimes happen in this country Thus far I have sent a letter a week to our senators and my congressman regarding knocking down further gun control. Starting this week i will make regular calls. I just thought I'd start this thread for discussion on the topic and to look for any other thoughts or ideas how to affect change at the federal level short of going up to D.C. every week of course. Apparently self defense is a crime there
    I understand you know the difference between a firearm and a weapon. However, this is where the problem lies within the media.
    Assault Weapon:
    Any item used in an assault is thus a weapon.
    Assault Rifle:
    Any rifle used in an actual assault.
    Clip:
    WTF!??????????????????????!!!!!
    High Capacity Magazine:
    Any magazine outside the state of CA, MA, NY, which have magazines specifically made for their tyrannical state laws.

Leave it to the media to do the governments dirty work, regurgatating language that's incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    This Washington Times article shows even state level groups are meeting with Biden to provide inputs for the administration's gun violence task force. Lots of anti groups but apparently only the NRA is talking for gun rights as far as I can tell from this article. You forum members with sources have any indication VCDL is taking the initiative to try to get an invitation to talk for VA gun owners? I know Biden's little cabal will largely blow off any inputs the 2A groups have but it's the principle of the thing. I'd like to know my $25/year is also looking out for my strategic interests as a VA gun owner.
    I've heard rumors but don't have any sources.

Last edited by peter nap; 01-10-2013 at 02:46 PM.

I just heard that the teen in Thursday's school shooting in California used a 12GA shotgun and had over 20 shotshells in his pants.

Oh, Great!! Now we are going to have to deal with high-capacity pockets.

State Law to Protect Us from the Federal Law

Maybe we need a state law similar to this "Firearm Protection Act" that is being proposed in Wyoming:

http://www.galtreport.com/index.php/...on-legislation

I would be interested in any comments on this.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

I accidentally poked a friend in the eye..do you think they will restrict how many fingers I can have on one hand? Sorry to sound so sarcastic but I'm getting a bit tired of everytime someone gets hurt here in this country, some pol comes up with a law banning or restricting it.
    Last edited by sparkman2; 01-10-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

The zombies are coming!
    The zombies are coming!
    Quick, the zombies are coming!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis, or for those who don't speak latin:
    .....from my cold, dead hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Placementvs.Calibur View Post
    The zombies are coming!
    The zombies are coming!
    Quick, the zombies are coming!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis, or for those who don't speak latin:
    .....from my cold, dead hands!
    hahaha!!!!
    Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning "thus always to tyrants." The full quotation, Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis (literally : "Thus always I rip off tyrants' life"), is sometimes mistranslated as "death to tyrants" or "down with the tyrant."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis

The phrase molon labe (Ancient Greek μολὼν λαβέ molṑn labé; reconstructed Ancient Greek pronunciation [molɔːn labé]; Modern Greek pronunciation [moˈlon laˈve]) means "Come and take them".
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    hahaha!!!!
    Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning "thus always to tyrants." The full quotation, Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis (literally : "Thus always I rip off tyrants' life"), is sometimes mistranslated as "death to tyrants" or "down with the tyrant."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis

The phrase molon labe (Ancient Greek μολὼν λαβέ molṑn labé; reconstructed Ancient Greek pronunciation [molɔːn labé]; Modern Greek pronunciation [moˈlon laˈve]) means "Come and take them".
    Yes, the state seal shows one man standing over another (the tyrant). Therefore, "thus always to tyrants" not death because this what the picture implies, literally.
    What I find offensive is the misinterpretation of the past when the founders made it so easy to read. For instance"the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. What's equally offensive is the fact that these politicians think they're smarter than the founders.

Actually, I think the standing person on the Seal is the goddess Virtus, or "virtue".

There has been some recent PC actions to cover her one naked boobie. Don't know if that is official.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 01-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Actually, I think the standing person on the Seal is the goddess Virtus, or "virtue".

There has been some recent PC actions to cover her one naked boobie. Don't know if that is official.
    Yep! It's a half neeked Woou man with a purty good rack!