• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Legislation and Executive Orders

ryan7068

Hey all,

This is obviously a hot topic right now for all Americans of every political view. Our weapons are being called into question as if they have anything to do with why crimes happen in this country:eek: Thus far I have sent a letter a week to our senators and my congressman regarding knocking down further gun control. Starting this week i will make regular calls. I just thought I'd start this thread for discussion on the topic and to look for any other thoughts or ideas how to affect change at the federal level short of going up to D.C. every week of course. Apparently self defense is a crime there:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You might want to wait on Grapeshot's opinion.
I certainly have no objection but there may be better forums here for this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Are you referring to the political section on the main OCDO forum page?

It could be several. It doesn't exactly fit the state forum profile though and that's why I mentioned it....again, it may be fine but it's always a shame to have a thread moved when it's an important subject.

Esanders2008

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. And this one seems to fit the bill for my discussion. I sent my Congressman a letter about a week ago. It was one of skidmark's letters. This is the reply I received.

January 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Sanders,

Thank you very much for contacting me to express your views on the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. I value and give careful consideration to the good counsel that I receive, and refer to that good counsel as the "wisdom of the district."

On Friday, December 14, I turned the television on expecting to see an update on the "fiscal cliff." Instead the screen filled with images from the unspeakable tragedy which was still unfolding in Newtown, Connecticut. A safe haven for children had become a killing field, enveloping Sandy Hook Elementary School and our country in anguish too great to comprehend. Teri and I join America in mourning over the loss of innocent life. Our deepest sympathies, prayers, and heartfelt condolences are with the families of the victims.

The horror at Sandy Hook Elementary makes tragically clear that we are not meeting our obligation to protect our children. That is profoundly wrong. We must take wise steps to reduce mass shootings and gun violence. Doing nothing is not an option.

A national debate on what those next steps should be continues to create tension between the moral imperative to protect our children with the rights guaranteed in the Second Amendment. I have not immediately demanded that specific steps be taken in response to the tragedy. That's deliberate, because I have come to appreciate the wisdom gained by gathering and reviewing relevant facts; by hearing from you, the residents of the 2nd district; and by taking time to properly assess the alternatives. There are, however, certain foundational principles I hold to be true and which will guide me in this process, including:

· Those suffering from mental illness must have access to proper psychiatric care, but they must not have access to guns.

· Gun ownership is a constitutional right, carrying with it a high burden of responsibility.

· Taking substantive steps to better protect our children and preserving Second Amendment rights are not mutually exclusive ends, though I acknowledge the difficulty in balancing the two.

· President Obama was correct when he stated: "No single law — no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society."

Due diligence is not inaction, and you can expect to see specific updates on my efforts to address this critical topic in upcoming editions of the Rigell Report. Though news coverage of the tragedy will diminish, my commitment to advancing the right steps to better protect our children will remain.

It is important to me that I keep you fully informed regarding how I am representing you in Congress, so please visit my website Rigell.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter, "The Rigell Report." I also encourage you to join me on Facebook at facebook.com/RepScottRigell. Both sites feature timely updates on the votes I am taking on the House floor.

In closing, please know that I consider it a high honor to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.

Mindful that I work for you, I remain

Yours in Freedom,

Scott Rigell
Member of Congress

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I didn't want to start a new thread for this. And this one seems to fit the bill for my discussion. I sent my Congressman a letter about a week ago. It was one of skidmark's letters. This is the reply I received.

January 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Sanders,

Thank you very much for contacting me to express your views on the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. I value and give careful consideration to the good counsel that I receive, and refer to that good counsel as the "wisdom of the district."

On Friday, December 14, I turned the television on expecting to see an update on the "fiscal cliff." Instead the screen filled with images from the unspeakable tragedy which was still unfolding in Newtown, Connecticut. A safe haven for children had become a killing field, enveloping Sandy Hook Elementary School and our country in anguish too great to comprehend. Teri and I join America in mourning over the loss of innocent life. Our deepest sympathies, prayers, and heartfelt condolences are with the families of the victims.

The horror at Sandy Hook Elementary makes tragically clear that we are not meeting our obligation to protect our children. That is profoundly wrong. We must take wise steps to reduce mass shootings and gun violence. Doing nothing is not an option.

A national debate on what those next steps should be continues to create tension between the moral imperative to protect our children with the rights guaranteed in the Second Amendment. I have not immediately demanded that specific steps be taken in response to the tragedy. That's deliberate, because I have come to appreciate the wisdom gained by gathering and reviewing relevant facts; by hearing from you, the residents of the 2nd district; and by taking time to properly assess the alternatives. There are, however, certain foundational principles I hold to be true and which will guide me in this process, including:

· Those suffering from mental illness must have access to proper psychiatric care, but they must not have access to guns.

· Gun ownership is a constitutional right, carrying with it a high burden of responsibility.

· Taking substantive steps to better protect our children and preserving Second Amendment rights are not mutually exclusive ends, though I acknowledge the difficulty in balancing the two.

· President Obama was correct when he stated: "No single law — no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society."

Due diligence is not inaction, and you can expect to see specific updates on my efforts to address this critical topic in upcoming editions of the Rigell Report. Though news coverage of the tragedy will diminish, my commitment to advancing the right steps to better protect our children will remain.

It is important to me that I keep you fully informed regarding how I am representing you in Congress, so please visit my website Rigell.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter, "The Rigell Report." I also encourage you to join me on Facebook at facebook.com/RepScottRigell. Both sites feature timely updates on the votes I am taking on the House floor.

In closing, please know that I consider it a high honor to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.

Mindful that I work for you, I remain

Yours in Freedom,

Scott Rigell
Member of Congress

Canned response I got the same email word for word. An aid has probably been delegated to handle all 2nd amendment issues and report later. :uhoh:

MamabearCali

Better than what I got from Warner....it was a we received your message. You call is very important to us.....blah blah blah. Was not even on topic.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Important Civics Lesson Gentlemen (and Lady)

Emails and letters count 1. The legislative assistants (who have the real power) score 1 point for every letter or email.

"Hey Boss, we got 23 emails against gun control and 356 for it" They don't mention that 350 of those 356 were from the same person.

1 polite phone call counts 2.
1 blow them out, gonna tar and feather you before we ride you out of town on a rail, phone call counts 10.
1 personal visit with a group on lobby day counts 12
1 personal visit by yourself any other day with a polite "I put your ass in office and can take you out" counts 19.

You get the idea!

BTW Eddy, It was nice meeting you last night. Come to breakfast one Saturday when we can really talk.

Esanders2008

Important Civics Lesson Gentlemen (and Lady)

Emails and letters count 1. The legislative assistants (who have the real power) score 1 point for every letter or email.

"Hey Boss, we got 23 emails against gun control and 356 for it" They don't mention that 350 of those 356 were from the same person.

1 polite phone call counts 2.
1 blow them out, gonna tar and feather you before we ride you out of town on a rail, phone call counts 10.
1 personal visit with a group on lobby day counts 12
1 personal visit by yourself any other day with a polite "I put your ass in office and can take you out" counts 19.

You get the idea!

BTW Eddy, It was nice meeting you last night. Come to breakfast one Saturday when we can really talk.

It was nice meeting you too! I might be able to make breakfast this Saturday (if the wife lets me ;))

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It was nice meeting you too! I might be able to make breakfast this Saturday (if the wife lets me ;))

I might wear a big gun on Saturday!

Big Guns BTW are on the chopping block in Iowa.

In an interview with the Daily Times Herald in Caroll, Iowa, state Rep. Dan Muhlbauer said governments should start confiscating semi-automatic rifles and other firearms.
Muhlbauer, a Democrat from the western Iowa town of Manilla, is a cattleman and farmer. The newspaper reported that he owns a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol.
“We cannot have big guns out here as far as the big guns that are out here, the semi-automatics and all of them,” Muhlbauer told the newspaper during a December 19 audiotaped interview. “We can’t have those running around out here.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/09/i...ions-of-semi-automatic-weapons/#ixzz2HWQmZv62

The fire that burned the Iowa Governors Mansion may take their minds off of BIG GUNS though.
It near took out the whole trailer park!

Last edited:

Felix

Is VCDL going to represent VA gun owners?

This Washington Times article shows even state level groups are meeting with Biden to provide inputs for the administration's gun violence task force. Lots of anti groups but apparently only the NRA is talking for gun rights as far as I can tell from this article. You forum members with sources have any indication VCDL is taking the initiative to try to get an invitation to talk for VA gun owners? I know Biden's little cabal will largely blow off any inputs the 2A groups have but it's the principle of the thing. I'd like to know my $25/year is also looking out for my strategic interests as a VA gun owner.

Placementvs.Calibur

Hey all,

This is obviously a hot topic right now for all Americans of every political view. Our weapons are being called into question as if they have anything to do with why crimes happen in this country:eek: Thus far I have sent a letter a week to our senators and my congressman regarding knocking down further gun control. Starting this week i will make regular calls. I just thought I'd start this thread for discussion on the topic and to look for any other thoughts or ideas how to affect change at the federal level short of going up to D.C. every week of course. Apparently self defense is a crime there:uhoh:

I understand you know the difference between a firearm and a weapon. However, this is where the problem lies within the media.
Assault Weapon:
Any item used in an assault is thus a weapon.
Assault Rifle:
Any rifle used in an actual assault.
Clip:
WTF!??????????????????????!!!!!
High Capacity Magazine:
Any magazine outside the state of CA, MA, NY, which have magazines specifically made for their tyrannical state laws.

Leave it to the media to do the governments dirty work, regurgatating language that's incorrect.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This Washington Times article shows even state level groups are meeting with Biden to provide inputs for the administration's gun violence task force. Lots of anti groups but apparently only the NRA is talking for gun rights as far as I can tell from this article. You forum members with sources have any indication VCDL is taking the initiative to try to get an invitation to talk for VA gun owners? I know Biden's little cabal will largely blow off any inputs the 2A groups have but it's the principle of the thing. I'd like to know my $25/year is also looking out for my strategic interests as a VA gun owner.

I've heard rumors but don't have any sources.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
bully2_zps558eea61.jpg

Last edited:

USNA69

I just heard that the teen in Thursday's school shooting in California used a 12GA shotgun and had over 20 shotshells in his pants.

Oh, Great!! Now we are going to have to deal with high-capacity pockets.

sparkman2

I accidentally poked a friend in the eye..do you think they will restrict how many fingers I can have on one hand? Sorry to sound so sarcastic but I'm getting a bit tired of everytime someone gets hurt here in this country, some pol comes up with a law banning or restricting it.

Last edited: