• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can we help get Castle Doctrine?

cjakesnyder1988

Just moved from TN. I love Virginia gun laws.. but I hate that Virginia does not have castle doctrine. I see that Rep. Dickie Bell proposed it last year but says he will not be bringing it up again. I have called and emailed his office... but what else can we do. In TN you can use lethal force against anyone who has unlawfully entered your home. Any thoughts on how we can help? Rep.Bell says that the Zimmerman case has affected his thoughts on "stand your ground laws" but Castle Doctrine in your home is completely different than chasing down an unarmed teen. Anyone else concerned about this?

Jake

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site Jake.

Castle Doctrine is alive and well as Common Law in Va.

We would like it to stay that way so it's important any legislation passed does not weaken what we already have.
The bill introduced last year would not have been a good one and in fact VCDL reversed their support of it.

This year there has been a Castle Doctrine bill filed that is even worse. Hopefully it will not go far.

This is a very detailed subject that has been debated in depth here. A search should bring up last years discussion.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Welcome to the site Jake.

Castle Doctrine is alive and well as Common Law in Va.

We would like it to stay that way so it's important any legislation passed does not weaken what we already have.
The bill introduced last year would not have been a good one and in fact VCDL reversed their support of it.

This year there has been a Castle Doctrine bill filed that is even worse. Hopefully it will not go far.

This is a very detailed subject that has been debated in depth here. A search should bring up last years discussion.

Have you read Dan's VCDL draft for a Castle Doctrine Law. It looks good and leaves in place the protections we have historically enjoyed here in Virginia.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Have you read Dan's VCDL draft for a Castle Doctrine Law. It looks good and leaves in place the protections we have historically enjoyed here in Virginia.

I have read it and Dan's work is the single authority on the subject as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately I haven't seen it introduced this year.

cjakesnyder1988

Update

I received this email from Rep. Dickie Bell regarding Castle Doctrine

Jacob,

The bill has been re-introduced by another delegate. My decision not to handle it again had nothing to do with the Zimmerman case but a lot to do with gun groups not being able to come to consensus and lawyers' insistence on some points I could not agree with.

Thanks,
Delegate Bell