• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA Ceasefire - March in Seattle on 1-13-13

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Is it reasonable to walk to this event from Coleman dock? I would walk on the ferry from Kitsap county and walk over if reasonable.

~Whitney

Ive thought about that too.
Its about 26 blocks,, about 6 blocks up hill, about 2 miles total, not too bad.
At about the half way point you can catch the monorail and sit the rest of the way.

Next question,,, Where do you leave your car in Bremerton??

ETA,,, Its a walking demonstration and theyre starting at Westlake Park,,
that is only a mile from the dock, infact its at the monorail,, then walk to the center.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Here is a chance to use your 2A right to defend their 1A right, by being their security detail.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

We can actually use that as a statement to media if asked. "We don't agree with what ceasefire has to say, but would do our best protect their right to say it, while ensuring our rights at the same time."

Even if ceasefire shouted we don't want your protection, we can state it matters not, we value their right to speak their mind because we know once they infringe on any right they are all up for infringement.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
We can actually use that as a statement to media if asked. "We don't agree with what ceasefire has to say, but would do our best protect their right to say it, while ensuring our rights at the same time."

Even if ceasefire shouted we don't want your protection, we can state it matters not, we value their right to speak their mind because we know once they infringe on any right they are all up for infringement.

This is Truth. Good line Rob, I will have to add that one to the inventory.

Freedom1Man

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

Great point.

Freedom1Man

There are a few good coffee houses near Pike Place Market, what time and what location did people want to meet up at?

My thought for the time is noon and I think the place is really close to the cheese shop on 1st and Pine.

Open to other times and location though. I could meet people at the Ferry terminal depending on the time they plan to arrive.

rapgood

Carry in Seattle Center

As I understand it, Ceasefire Washington plans to end their march at Seattle Center. Seattle Center is a department of the City of Seattle.

Under Seattle Center Rules of Conduct:

Section "C" (Definitions)
16. “Weapon” means any firearm or any instrument designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any knife having a blade of three inches or more, or any straight-edge razor, spring stick, metal knuckles, blackjack, bat, club or other bludgeon-type instrument, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, such as nun chahkas, nunchakus or shurikens, or chains, or whips, or stars, or darts, or stun gun, or taser, or any disc having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled.
17. “Weapon Violation” means possession or use of a weapon in violation of Chapter 9.41 of the Revised Code of Washington, Chapter 12A.14 of the Seattle Municipal Code or other applicable statute or ordinance.

Section "I" (Rules of Conduct)
4. Weapons
It is Prohibited To:
a. Sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry any blackjack, sand-club, metal knuckles, switchblade knife, chako sticks, or throwing stars.
b. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous knife unless used as a tool for work by Seattle Center employees or their authorized agents, or carry concealed on his or her person any weapon. Seattle Center employees are subject to the Seattle Center Employees Firearm Policy.
c. Possess or display a firearm on the campus, unless permitted by applicable law.

[my opinion, subject to the disclaimer in my sig, below]
As I interpret the applicable law:

The rules, as written at C(16), show that "firearms" are included in their definition of "weapons." At C(17), the rules then state that a "weapon violation" includes "possession or use of a weapon," but then qualifies that "possession or use" is a violation ONLY when that possession or use is done 1) in violation of Chapter 9.41 (firearms), or 2) in violation of SMC 12A.14 (knives).

The "implication" at first-blush reading is that firearms are absolutely prohibited in possession and use on the Seattle Center Campus. IMHO, this appears to be a carefully drafted set of rules to make the average reader believe that (s)he cannot carry a pistol, either openly or concealed on the campus.

But that is not what the rules say; the crucial clauses being the "in violation of RCW 9.41 or SMC 12A.14" clause in C(17), and the "unless permitted by applicable law" clause in I(4)(c).

The holding in Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Association v. Sequim makes it clear that when a municipality acts as a private landlord when leasing out its facilities to private parties, the private party leasing the venue can restrict the possession of weapons in the venue when it is being leased by that private party. However, the holding in Chan v. City of Seattle makes it clear that when the venue is open to the public in its capacity as a "public" venue, it is subject to state preemption found in RCW 9.41.290 and, as such, the city may not lawfully prohibit the possession of firearms on the property during those times.
[/my opinion]

Although this particular topic has been explored in other threads, for my own edification I synthesized the law into what I view as a concise take on my rights WRT Seattle City Center. YMMV. But, this is how I would argue it if I were to have to defend myself against an alleged violation of Seattle Center Rules for possession of a handgun on the campus.

StevenOly

I hope with everything that has been going on with SPD they won't try to press the issue...but if something does come up who should we be calling?

badkarma

Here are some talking points.
Experts: Trained police needed for school security
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/12/28/2416386/experts-trained-police-needed.html
-The Las Vegas-based Clark County School District has its own police department and places armed officers in and around its 49 high school campuses. Officers patrol outside elementary and middle schools. The Washoe County School District in Nevada also has a police force, but it was only about a decade ago that the officers were authorized to carry guns on campus.

We already have armed security officers in some schools in Washington. Why is this group so hesitant to remove all guns? If they take away our guns, only criminals and police will have them. You purchase car insurance to protect yourself in case of an accident right? Why take away that insurance?

Last edited:

rapgood

I hope with everything that has been going on with SPD they won't try to press the issue...but if something does come up who should we be calling?

First: Your bail bondsman or family member to get you out.
Second: Your attorney.

Oh, yes. And remember the 7 magic words to say in answer to any question after you have been arrested other than the question, "What is your name?" (when you should give your name and, if you have no license on you, state your birth date -- nothing more).

Those 7 magic words are, "I want to talk to my lawyer." Want to say more? Then repeat, "I want to talk to my lawyer."

Last edited:

jsanchez

I go to Seattle center all the time. I have never had a problem open carrying there. I went to the Police chief debate open carrying, walked right in, said hi to the police who were on duty for the event, no problems. The only way they can keep us out of any building or open space, is they have to rent that space, and the city puts in their contract no guns at the events. At this point you can conceal or stand around outside and visit/network with all the other pro gun people.

I highly suggest that you check out Piers Morgans show from 1-9-13, and 1-10-13, on Comcast On Demand, they are free if you have Comcast, they are in the tv show section under P. Larry Pratt on the 9th and Ben Shapiro on the 10 give great talking points and really debate the issue well.

I imagine what ceasefire is going to be pushing is banning assualt weapons and high capacity magazines. And the talking points against that our, I need and assualt rifle to protect myself, family, and community from criminals in a natural disaster or finaciall collapse. I need high capacity magazines for multiple attackers, example Mr. Vargus in south seattle was killed by three attackers.

These are the main talking points for this event I bet, and this is what we have to counter with when the media interviews you. So memorize these points or come up with better ones along these issues, assualt weapons and high capacity magazines.

The white house is going to do something on tuesday, so hit our talking points.

I am not bringing my assault rifle because I don't want it to get confiscated for some B.S. reason and me not have it, which I may need in the near future if this all goes bad.

I am bringing my camera and tripod to video any speeches made by the other side and to take pictures of the people on the other side and the police and how they handle this event. I encourage everyone to do the same.

I also encourage the buddy system for witnessing reasons and safety in numbers going to and from.

Ceasefire had some new young members that were very energized at their last event back in May at the Seattle Athletic Club, and young people can be impulsive when they get angry.

I look forward to meeting you all and networking with you. I will be wearing a Yellow baseball cap, so come introduce youself if you see me.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I go to Seattle center all the time. I have never had a problem open carrying there. I went to the Police chief debate open carrying, walked right in, said hi to the police who were on duty for the event, no problems. The only way they can keep us out of any building or open space, is they have to rent that space, and the city puts in their contract no guns at the events. At this point you can conceal or stand around outside and visit/network with all the other pro gun people.

I highly suggest that you check out Piers Morgans show from 1-9-13, and 1-10-13, on Comcast On Demand, they are free if you have Comcast, they are in the TV show section under P. Larry Pratt on the 9th and Ben Shapiro on the 10 give great talking points and really debate the issue well.

I imagine what ceasefire is going to be pushing is banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines. And the talking points against that or, I need and assault rifle to protect myself, family, and community from criminals in a natural disaster or financial collapse. I need high capacity magazines for multiple attackers, example Mr. Vargus in south Seattle was killed by three attackers.

These are the main talking points for this event I bet, and this is what we have to counter with when the media interviews you. So memorize these points or come up with better ones along these issues, assault weapons and high capacity magazines.

The white house is going to do something on Tuesday, so hit our talking points.

I am not bringing my assault rifle because I don't want it to get confiscated for some B.S. reason and me not have it, which I may need in the near future if this all goes bad.

I am bringing my camera and tripod to video any speeches made by the other side and to take pictures of the people on the other side and the police and how they handle this event. I encourage everyone to do the same.

I also encourage the buddy system for witnessing reasons and safety in numbers going to and from.

Ceasefire had some new young members that were very energized at their last event back in May at the Seattle Athletic Club, and young people can be impulsive when they get angry.

I look forward to meeting you all and networking with you. I will be wearing a Yellow baseball cap, so come introduce yourself if you see me.

First comment, spell check.

Second comment, assault rifles are illegal in Washington under current laws, so did you get it grandfathered in some how?

An assault rifle is one that has a select fire between full auto or burst fire and semi-automatic fire.

An assault weapon is ANY weapon that you can use to assault someone with. An assault weapon could be a sword, knife, dagger, mace, lance, halberd, club, flail, etc.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

First comment, spell check.

Second comment, assault rifles are illegal in Washington under current laws, so did you get it grandfathered in some how?

An assault rifle is one that has a select fire between full auto or burst fire and semi-automatic fire.

An assault weapon is ANY weapon that you can use to assault someone with. An assault weapon could be a sword, knife, dagger, mace, lance, halberd, club, flail, etc.

When a cop strong arms you and goes through your stuff, wouldn't that be an assault, rifle........:p

skeith5

Please stop using the story about the kids father from columbine, it is a work of fiction.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2