Thread: open carry with ccw permit

open carry with ccw permit

i was told today that since i have my ccw permit i am not allowed to carry openly. Maine is an open carry friendly state and this doesn't make sense to me. why would having the extra permit that allows concealed carry remove the right to open carry? i cant find any specific rule that states whether it is ok or not can anyone direct me towards a statute that covers this or any information or insight?
    Last edited by Marcus92183; 01-07-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo

Who told you that? That's not correct at all. You can open carry and you don't need a permit to do so in the state of Maine.

Here is a list of places where you can't carry PERIOD: http://www.mainecwptraining.com/NO_CARRY_ZONES.html
    Last edited by RLTW!; 01-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLTW! View Post
    Who told you that? That's not correct at all. You can open carry and you don't need a permit to do so in the state of Maine.

Here is a list of places where you can't carry PERIOD: http://www.mainecwptraining.com/NO_CARRY_ZONES.html
    a friend who just took his ccw class i am not sure who lead the class but he was told it must be concealed if you have a permit. i have had my permit for 10 years and never heard this rule so it sounded odd to me.

CC instructors commonly do this for what reason, I do not know. A great deal of "concealed" people get upset with open carriers, it's like a religious thing with them. Carry out in the open, it keeps the wolves away.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Re: open carry with ccw permit

BS. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus92183 View Post
    i was told today that since i have my ccw permit i am not allowed to carry openly. Maine is an open carry friendly state and this doesn't make sense to me. why would having the extra permit that allows concealed carry remove the right to open carry? i cant find any specific rule that states whether it is ok or not can anyone direct me towards a statute that covers this or any information or insight?
    Ask the person who told you that to show you the law that prohibits you from carrying openly now that you have a permit...

He won't be able to find it. He's wrong.

They are misinformed. I have my CCP, and I open carry all the time (mostly during summer, though).
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Re: open carry with ccw permit

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    They are misinformed. I have my CCP, and I open carry all the time (mostly during summer, though).
    Leg rig for winter
    Last edited by SPOProds; 01-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Because you have a drivers license you are not allowed to walk anymore.

same idea.
    States donít have rights. People do.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    Leg rig for winter
    Ha! I've been to the Falmouth Wal-Mart a few times with mine on after I get done at the "range" for the day. It's a little aggressive, but no ones said anything yet!
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler