Thread: "Anti-gun businesses" question

"Anti-gun businesses" question

So my question is, how do we define an "anti-gun business" and when do you decide not to buy there anymore?

example, say a national chain (We'll say, Peet's coffee) has a corporate policy against guns in stores, but one particular location their manager allows it and never gives you a problem, is it ok to keep going to that particular location?

or if a national chain didn't allow carry, but one particular franchisee was cool about it, is it ok to visit locations owned by that businessman?

Question #2
    If a business bans carry based on a mistaken interpretation of the law, and after being corrected fixes it, is that enough to be forgiven?

Question #3

If a business bans carry but then reverses and decides to allow it, is it apropriate to begin doing business with them again? or should the boycott continue?

Final question, if a restaurant were to allow carry, but treated carrying customers different, like refusing to tend alcohol to someone who is visibly armed, would you stop doing business there?

I'm just curious, what would be an appropriate policy for those cases in your opinion?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    So my question is, how do we define an "anti-gun business" and when do you decide not to buy there anymore?
    If a location doesn't allow me to carry, I typically don't go there. just that simple.

Final question, if a restaurant were to allow carry, but treated carrying customers different, like refusing to tend alcohol to someone who is visibly armed, would you stop doing business there?
    I have no problems with an establishment that refuses to sell alcohol for on site consumption to someone who is armed, visibly or not. The reason is that they obviously allow carry there. btw, in Tennessee at least, they would be complying with State law, since as soon as that armed carrier consumed alcohol he is in violation of the law.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

example, say a national chain (We'll say, Peet's coffee) has a corporate policy against guns in stores, but one particular location their manager allows it and never gives you a problem, is it ok to keep going to that particular location?

or if a national chain didn't allow carry, but one particular franchisee was cool about it, is it ok to visit locations owned by that businessman?

Question #2
    If a business bans carry based on a mistaken interpretation of the law, and after being corrected fixes it, is that enough to be forgiven?

Question #3

If a business bans carry but then reverses and decides to allow it, is it apropriate to begin doing business with them again? or should the boycott continue?

I'm just curious, what would be an appropriate policy for those cases in your opinion?
    Speaking ONLY for myself.

In general, I won't go to places if their national chain does not support freedom. Even if a local manager ignores corporate policy, patronage puts money in their pockets and rewards them. Even an independent franchisee sends money to corporate, though it may not be based on the volume of sales.

That said, it is damned near impossible to avoid business with all anti-gun companies. You'd never eat prepared foods, visit movies, read newspapers, etc.

If a business reverses its stance and now allows (or better yet, encourages) carry, I'll support them to show my appreciation for their entry into the light.

I'm OK with refusing to serve alcohol to armed patrons. But they need to realize they're relying on honesty ... if a person wants to conceal and drink, the establishment really can't do a thing about it under that policy.

Banned
    Patronage also puts money in the pockets, so no, I won't patronize a local business that goes against corporate, allowing carry.

I don't patronize any business that locally or nationally does not allow carry. Period.

And I do go to the movies. Rave allows carry. I have OCed in the Rave in Montgomery, Alabama.