Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Permission to Purchase, Etc.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155

    Permission to Purchase, Etc.

    Oahu Firearms Owners Wait as Long as Nine Hours Over Three Visits to Obtain Registration, Permits

    BY MALIA ZIMMERMAN - Oahu firearms owners are increasingly frustrated with long lines at the registration desk at the main Honolulu Police Department (HPD) station. Hawaii's firearms registration laws are among the strictest in the country, and mandate gun owners must register firearms within 72 hours of purchase.

    Firearms owners can spend more than nine hours in line over three visits to obtain a permit for a firearm and register it, according to Dr. Max Cooper, a legislative liaison for the Hawaii Rifle Association, with rules differing for handguns and long guns.

    http://www.hawaiireporter.com/oahu-f...on-permits/123

  2. #2
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    I see an ADA lawsuit with all those stairs, or someone with a bladder issue and the long waits.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Haoleb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    30
    It is pretty ridiculous. Luckily for me I am on the Big Island and we can register at any of the police stations. However it is only for a 2 hour window each day and of course anyone with a job usually works those hours.

    On Oahu however they all have to go to one station and people have been going down there to wait in line in the middle of the night. It is not usually that bad but for the last few weeks it has been...

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    One should check and see if your state law would allow an estoppel defense for not registering due to the lack of being able to.

    If you show up on the 3rd day and they don't serve you because they don't want you to own a gun (really, that's what it is)...they could have 10 people out on the line with clipboards if they desired to...then would you have a good defense for not registering at all?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    One should check and see if your state law would allow an estoppel defense for not registering due to the lack of being able to.

    If you show up on the 3rd day and they don't serve you because they don't want you to own a gun (really, that's what it is)...they could have 10 people out on the line with clipboards if they desired to...then would you have a good defense for not registering at all?

    Believe it or not it actually takes 3 visits when everything "goes right". (for new firearm purchases anyway)
    IIRC On the first visit you will apply for a permit to acquire, on the second visit you will pick up your permit, on the third visit you will register your firearm.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by END_THE_FED View Post
    Believe it or not it actually takes 3 visits when everything "goes right". (for new firearm purchases anyway)
    IIRC On the first visit you will apply for a permit to acquire, on the second visit you will pick up your permit, on the third visit you will register your firearm.
    It's easier to bring them in from out of state then it's one visit to register. Then again how many people do?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    It's easier to bring them in from out of state then it's one visit to register. Then again how many people do?
    Or just manufacture your own weapon .. HI has never been pro-gun ... one would think that they should be pro pro pro gun but they ain't ..

  8. #8
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Or just manufacture your own weapon .. HI has never been pro-gun ... one would think that they should be pro pro pro gun but they ain't ..
    Was quite a bit different when I was younger there, it's a perfect example of how the state is never satisfied with just a little control they will keep going and going and going.....

    When I was younger I used to bring guns back and forth from Washington all the time, no special checks no TSA, no ID to fly, go shooting on my Uncles range on the Big Island, had a local Japanese man who would turn my cheap SKS's into cool looking "assault rifles".....guns were fairly common, lots of people carried.

    Now they carried by lots of people too, those who don't care about the law, and those who know the law doesn't protect them from the former.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •