Thread: Need help buying guns at GSO gun turn-in this weekend...

Need help buying guns at GSO gun turn-in this weekend...

Greensboro Police are holding a gun turn-in this weekend (they are not offering anything of value for the guns)...

Story at www.news-record.com.

I am planning to set up across the street and buy some of the guns (if any) that are being turned in. Am looking for help i.e. manpower, and if anyone else is interested in possibly buying some of the guns.

They are holding it in three locations on Friday and Sat. Ideally, I would like to organize a presence at all three sites both days.

If interested, please reply in thread for now - I will PM later this week

Thanks

Ray

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Re: Need help buying guns at GSO gun turn-in this weekend...

I can't do Friday, but I might join you on Saturday. Need to talk to the wife first. Keep me informed

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    Carry on!

this could be a chance to get some good arms at a great deal.

I do wonder however what the police reaction would be to this

Not much they can do, since the ones buying handguns have either NC concelead carry permits and/or pistol purchase permits.

Besides,
    1) This is not a Police Department idea, but one imposed on them by the city council

2) I don't think there will be much in the way of activity because the police are not "buying" the guns back anyway... they are giving nothing to the "donors".
    Last edited by RayBurton72; 01-08-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBurton72 View Post
    Not much they can do, since the ones buying handguns have either NC concelead carry permits and/or pistol purchase permits.

Besides,
    1) This is not a Police Department idea, but one imposed on them by the city council

2) I don't think there will be much in the way of activity because the police are not "buying" the guns back anyway... they are giving nothing to the "donors".
    I wonder if the cops have to get permits for each gun that is given to them? I'm sure they wouldn't want to break the law during this event.

C'mon, the law doesn;t apply to them... only to us lesser people - didn't you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    I wonder if the cops have to get permits for each gun that is given to them? I'm sure they wouldn't want to break the law during this event.
    When an officer buys a gun from a dealer he need only show his LEO credentials. They don't use PPPs/CHPs unless they are in a non-sworn position (clerical/admin, forensics, etc.).

Carry on!

My guess is there won't be much turned in, and/or what is turned in will be junk. But it's good that you're wanting to have a presence there anyway if for no other reason than to demonstrate opposition to our government wasting time and resources on silly buybacks that do nothing to make us safer.

when the folks in portland did this they got some interesting long rifles and handguns but as they stated majority was junk...

tho am wondering how you can purchase firearms w/o the mandatory PPP to give to the buyer?

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    when the folks in portland did this they got some interesting long rifles and handguns but as they stated majority was junk...

tho am wondering how you can purchase firearms w/o the mandatory PPP to give to the buyer?

wabbit
    it's rare. one year a mint condition 1903 springfield was turned in and the officer conviced the lady to take it back and donate to the Ft. Lewis military museum.

someone last year in portland got a colt police special .38 revolver for 100 bucks.

someone bought a nylon 66 for 20 dollars (guess the guy really needed cash more then 85 dollars in gift cards that can't be used for beer or ciggy butts) then resold it for 150 to a later arrival.

but those are rare, the vast majority of what's turned in isn't even worth the amount the gift card. let along bidding against the buyback for.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

wabbit
    PPP - not needed for long guns and am sure he must have a CHP so doesn't need a PPP anyway

Ray check your PM's

Carry on!

how stupid

These people here in Greensboro that are doing this are so stupid guess when the city tells them the mark of the beast is for the better good , they will take it....

Ryan - are you onsite at one of the surrender locations?

Carry on!

not onsite

Nope , if I was I'd have to yell at these crazy people

ok, someone spill the beans...how did it go?

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

wabbit
    I think a lack of a response from ANY of the people that went might mean they were illegally arrested.

Well??

wabbit
    I want to know as well. If you were able to attend and not hassled by LEO, I would be interested in attending any future events.

Also, can someone site where it says LEO in NC need only to show their law enforcement credentials to purchase a pistol? I know that their credentials are used to carry a firearm any damn where they please when off duty, but I have never heard or read that those credentials could be used to purchase a gun. Since that paperwork has to be turned into the federal government, I don't know that it would fly.

My $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by ocgso View Post
    I want to know as well. If you were able to attend and not hassled by LEO, I would be interested in attending any future events.

Also, can someone site where it says LEO in NC need only to show their law enforcement credentials to purchase a pistol? I know that their credentials are used to carry a firearm any damn where they please when off duty, but I have never heard or read that those credentials could be used to purchase a gun. Since that paperwork has to be turned into the federal government, I don't know that it would fly.

My $0.02
    There is no law in NC. The ATF says that they can. We only have to get copies of their ID's when doing a transfer to them.

I got my information from my sister's best friend who is a LEO. Also, when I took my CHP class a couple years ago there was a forensic investigator with the Greensboro PD taking the class too. She made statements to the same effect. While I wouldn't *normally* consult an officer in matters of law, I figure a sworn officer with the Winston Salem Police Department & a non-sworn employee of the Greensboro Police Department might know what they're talking about in this particular instance as it relates to their personal experiences with what they do/dont't have to do to purchase a handgun.

Also, I inquired about this while browsing at Streicher's one day. The staff there confirmed that sworn LEOs do not need PPPs or CHPs. If that employee was wrong then the company has committed *thousands* of felonies.

In the case of the lady in forensics she had to get a CHP in order to carry a concealed weapon off duty, as only those in "sworn" positions ate allowed to do that using LEO credentials - real life ain't like watching CSI :P

PS - to the best of my knowledge none of us from OCDO went to the gun turn-in event. Ray ended up not being able to make it & I didn't feel like going alone. It was reported by Fox8 that the 3 locations in Greensboro collected a whopping total of 95 firearms over the course of the 2-day event. Most of those came on Saturday, as only 17 of the guns were collected Friday.

Last edited by Ruger; 01-21-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Carry on!

14-404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal;
    sheriff's fee.
    (a) - (c) snip
    (d) Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and provide any of the following:
    (1) A letter signed by the officer's supervisor or superior officer stating that the officer is authorized by law to carry a firearm.
    (2) A current photographic identification card issued by the officer's employer.
    (3) A current photographic identification card issued by a State agency that identifies the individual as a law enforcement officer certified by the State of North Carolina.
    (4) A current identification card issued by the officer's employer and another form of current photographic identification.
    (http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...rticle_52A.pdf)

here ya go ocgso the cite from NC statutes stating LE do not need to have a PPP or CHP to purchase a firearm in the state of NC. paragraph 3 and 4 methinks would apply to NC's special police cadre, but i am not an lawyer...

wabbit

ps: i suppose WTFOVER you do not do a background on them either, eh?

pps: did i miss the cite from the ATF excluding LE from background checks?

ppps: REALLY ruger, quote I got my information from my sister's best friend who is a LEO. Also, when I took my CHP class a couple years ago... I figure a sworn officer with the Winston Salem Police Department & a non-sworn employee of the Greensboro Police Department might know what they're talking about in this particular instance as it relates to their personal experiences with what they do/dont't have to do to purchase a handgun. unquote. a friend of a friend or from a couple of years ago is viable information?
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 01-22-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFOVER View Post
    There is no law in NC. The ATF says that they can. We only have to get copies of their ID's when doing a transfer to them.
    I will correct myself as I found this looking for something else. Here is the law in NC that states that an LEO doesn't need a PPP or CHP.

14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.
    (d) Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and provide any of the following:
    (1) A letter signed by the officer's supervisor or superior officer stating that the officer is authorized by law to carry a firearm.
    (2) A current photographic identification card issued by the officer's employer.
    (3) A current photographic identification card issued by a State agency that identifies the individual as a law enforcement officer certified by the State of North Carolina.
    (4) A current identification card issued by the officer's employer and another form of current photographic identification.

All I have to get is a copy of their ID's along with their drivers license and the ATF is good with it. No background checks with them just as I wouldn't have to do a background check on someone with a CHP.