• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help buying guns at GSO gun turn-in this weekend...

RayBurton72

Greensboro Police are holding a gun turn-in this weekend (they are not offering anything of value for the guns)...

Story at www.news-record.com.

I am planning to set up across the street and buy some of the guns (if any) that are being turned in. Am looking for help i.e. manpower, and if anyone else is interested in possibly buying some of the guns.

They are holding it in three locations on Friday and Sat. Ideally, I would like to organize a presence at all three sites both days.

If interested, please reply in thread for now - I will PM later this week

Thanks

Ray

J-SiN

this could be a chance to get some good arms at a great deal.

I do wonder however what the police reaction would be to this

RayBurton72

Not much they can do, since the ones buying handguns have either NC concelead carry permits and/or pistol purchase permits.

Besides,
1) This is not a Police Department idea, but one imposed on them by the city council

2) I don't think there will be much in the way of activity because the police are not "buying" the guns back anyway... they are giving nothing to the "donors".

Last edited:

rotorhead

Not much they can do, since the ones buying handguns have either NC concelead carry permits and/or pistol purchase permits.

Besides,
1) This is not a Police Department idea, but one imposed on them by the city council

2) I don't think there will be much in the way of activity because the police are not "buying" the guns back anyway... they are giving nothing to the "donors".

I wonder if the cops have to get permits for each gun that is given to them? I'm sure they wouldn't want to break the law during this event.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I wonder if the cops have to get permits for each gun that is given to them? I'm sure they wouldn't want to break the law during this event.

When an officer buys a gun from a dealer he need only show his LEO credentials. They don't use PPPs/CHPs unless they are in a non-sworn position (clerical/admin, forensics, etc.).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

glockaholic

My guess is there won't be much turned in, and/or what is turned in will be junk. But it's good that you're wanting to have a presence there anyway if for no other reason than to demonstrate opposition to our government wasting time and resources on silly buybacks that do nothing to make us safer.

ncwabbit

when the folks in portland did this they got some interesting long rifles and handguns but as they stated majority was junk...

tho am wondering how you can purchase firearms w/o the mandatory PPP to give to the buyer?

wabbit

EMNofSeattle

when the folks in portland did this they got some interesting long rifles and handguns but as they stated majority was junk...

tho am wondering how you can purchase firearms w/o the mandatory PPP to give to the buyer?

wabbit

it's rare. one year a mint condition 1903 springfield was turned in and the officer conviced the lady to take it back and donate to the Ft. Lewis military museum.

someone last year in portland got a colt police special .38 revolver for 100 bucks.

someone bought a nylon 66 for 20 dollars (guess the guy really needed cash more then 85 dollars in gift cards that can't be used for beer or ciggy butts) then resold it for 150 to a later arrival.

but those are rare, the vast majority of what's turned in isn't even worth the amount the gift card. let along bidding against the buyback for.

REDFIVE48

wabbit

PPP - not needed for long guns and am sure he must have a CHP so doesn't need a PPP anyway

ryanb197901

how stupid

These people here in Greensboro that are doing this are so stupid guess when the city tells them the mark of the beast is for the better good , they will take it....

ocgso

Well??

ok, someone spill the beans...how did it go?

wabbit

I want to know as well. If you were able to attend and not hassled by LEO, I would be interested in attending any future events.

Also, can someone site where it says LEO in NC need only to show their law enforcement credentials to purchase a pistol? I know that their credentials are used to carry a firearm any damn where they please when off duty, but I have never heard or read that those credentials could be used to purchase a gun. Since that paperwork has to be turned into the federal government, I don't know that it would fly.

My $0.02

WTFOVER

I want to know as well. If you were able to attend and not hassled by LEO, I would be interested in attending any future events.

Also, can someone site where it says LEO in NC need only to show their law enforcement credentials to purchase a pistol? I know that their credentials are used to carry a firearm any damn where they please when off duty, but I have never heard or read that those credentials could be used to purchase a gun. Since that paperwork has to be turned into the federal government, I don't know that it would fly.

My $0.02

There is no law in NC. The ATF says that they can. We only have to get copies of their ID's when doing a transfer to them.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I got my information from my sister's best friend who is a LEO. Also, when I took my CHP class a couple years ago there was a forensic investigator with the Greensboro PD taking the class too. She made statements to the same effect. While I wouldn't *normally* consult an officer in matters of law, I figure a sworn officer with the Winston Salem Police Department & a non-sworn employee of the Greensboro Police Department might know what they're talking about in this particular instance as it relates to their personal experiences with what they do/dont't have to do to purchase a handgun.

Also, I inquired about this while browsing at Streicher's one day. The staff there confirmed that sworn LEOs do not need PPPs or CHPs. If that employee was wrong then the company has committed *thousands* of felonies.

In the case of the lady in forensics she had to get a CHP in order to carry a concealed weapon off duty, as only those in "sworn" positions ate allowed to do that using LEO credentials - real life ain't like watching CSI :p

PS - to the best of my knowledge none of us from OCDO went to the gun turn-in event. Ray ended up not being able to make it & I didn't feel like going alone. It was reported by Fox8 that the 3 locations in Greensboro collected a whopping total of 95 firearms over the course of the 2-day event. Most of those came on Saturday, as only 17 of the guns were collected Friday.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: