• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help buying guns at GSO gun turn-in this weekend...

ncwabbit

14-404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal;
sheriff's fee.
(a) - (c) snip
(d) Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and provide any of the following:
(1) A letter signed by the officer's supervisor or superior officer stating that the officer is authorized by law to carry a firearm.
(2) A current photographic identification card issued by the officer's employer.
(3) A current photographic identification card issued by a State agency that identifies the individual as a law enforcement officer certified by the State of North Carolina.
(4) A current identification card issued by the officer's employer and another form of current photographic identification.
(http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_52A.pdf)

here ya go ocgso the cite from NC statutes stating LE do not need to have a PPP or CHP to purchase a firearm in the state of NC. paragraph 3 and 4 methinks would apply to NC's special police cadre, but i am not an lawyer...

wabbit

ps: i suppose WTFOVER you do not do a background on them either, eh?

pps: did i miss the cite from the ATF excluding LE from background checks?

ppps: REALLY ruger, quote I got my information from my sister's best friend who is a LEO. Also, when I took my CHP class a couple years ago... I figure a sworn officer with the Winston Salem Police Department & a non-sworn employee of the Greensboro Police Department might know what they're talking about in this particular instance as it relates to their personal experiences with what they do/dont't have to do to purchase a handgun. unquote. a friend of a friend or from a couple of years ago is viable information?

Last edited:

WTFOVER

There is no law in NC. The ATF says that they can. We only have to get copies of their ID's when doing a transfer to them.

I will correct myself as I found this looking for something else. Here is the law in NC that states that an LEO doesn't need a PPP or CHP.

§ 14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.
(d) Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and provide any of the following:
(1) A letter signed by the officer's supervisor or superior officer stating that the officer is authorized by law to carry a firearm.
(2) A current photographic identification card issued by the officer's employer.
(3) A current photographic identification card issued by a State agency that identifies the individual as a law enforcement officer certified by the State of North Carolina.
(4) A current identification card issued by the officer's employer and another form of current photographic identification.

All I have to get is a copy of their ID's along with their drivers license and the ATF is good with it. No background checks with them just as I wouldn't have to do a background check on someone with a CHP.