Thread: Grand Rapids mayor flaunts violation of state law

Grand Rapids mayor flaunts violation of state law

The mayor of Grand Rapids, the highest elected official, has 'no interest' in following state law. Sad commentary, and a real poor example for the children of Grand Rapids. This is what they have to look up to?

http://fox17online.com/2013/01/08/gu...ws-too-strict/
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

If I lived closer to GR I would attend.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Re: Grand Rapids mayor flaunts violation of state law

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    If I lived closer to GR I would attend.
    Me too! These Richard Crainiums will have to be sued into submission it looks like.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Mayor Heartwell made it very clear how uncomfortable he is around guns, and alluded to the fact they might change his vote on something. He also made it crystal clear he was not going to change the local ordinance. I don't know that suing him would work because whoever sued him would likely not get any monetary return.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Me too! These Richard Crainiums will have to be sued into submission it looks like.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

If I would have known about this, I would have gone. ****.

So he admits that they're violating state laws, but then pretty much says he doesn't care.

& The City Councillor wants to discuss where it's appropriate to carry?

Sorry. I didn't see in the constitution where it says "You have the right to bear arms...where others think its appropriate".

I must have missed that part.

Also, by the comments on this report, It looks like this was filmed during the meeting, and posted after, so none of us could attend.

What great work by this news station...

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Mayor Heartwell made it very clear how uncomfortable he is around guns, and alluded to the fact they might change his vote on something. He also made it crystal clear he was not going to change the local ordinance. I don't know that suing him would work because whoever sued him would likely not get any monetary return.
    Sorry - what I meant was sooner or later his police force will arrest someone or worse for legal open carry and they will lose big and then decide to follow state law.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Mike
    There is another meeting coming on Jan 22, Feb 5 and Feb 19. I believe there will be another opportunity to come out and speak.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    If I would have known about this, I would have gone. ****.

So he admits that they're violating state laws, but then pretty much says he doesn't care.

& The City Councillor wants to discuss where it's appropriate to carry?

Sorry. I didn't see in the constitution where it says "You have the right to bear arms...where others think its appropriate".

I must have missed that part.

Also, by the comments on this report, It looks like this was filmed during the meeting, and posted after, so none of us could attend.

What great work by this news station...
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Mike
    There is another meeting coming on Jan 22, Feb 5 and Feb 19. I believe there will be another opportunity to come out and speak.
    Awesome Thank you. I will definitely attend.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Violation of Oath of Office ....

Just remove the Mayor, for not upholding his oath of office, as it is clear that he violated his oath of office !
    Get the oath of office from the GR mayor's office.
    Use it against him, he is clearly violating the Constitution Federal & State.
    I already read the Oath of Office that he swore an Oath to uphold....

He answered that actually, He said to the affect that when the 2nd amendment gets in the way of people exercising their 1st amendment rights he would err on the side of the 1st amendment. He does not get it is not either or it is all or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mastiff69 View Post
    Just remove the Mayor, for not upholding his oath of office, as it is clear that he violated his oath of office !
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

He answered that actually, He said to the affect that when the 2nd amendment gets in the way of people exercising their 1st amendment rights he would err on the side of the 1st amendment. He does not get it is not either or it is all or nothing.
    Got to love officials who treat the constitution as if it is a buffet that they can "pick and choose" from on what laws to abide by and what ones to trample.

We've been here before DB. Remember Royal Oak? I think it will take constant pressure over several meeting to get these A$$hats to obey the law.

PS- hope you and yours are doing well.

- A OC pal from the past.

Grand Rapids mayor flaunts violation of state law

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBiker View Post
    Whats the next step? Will a large showing of Gun right supporters at the next meeting have any impact at this point?

It appears the Mayor doesn't care and is not planning on changing Squat.
    MOC's effort is getting consistently and strategically larger.

At first, it was one. Then two. Last night: about 8 or 10. We're publicizing the events progressively more with each iteration.

I'd suggest the MOC forum is the authoritative place to stay tuned into the. "Official" plans.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Yet, Heartwell has not advanced any ideas on how to deal with the root cause of gun violence; he just demonizes an inanimate object, marginalizes law abiding citizens, and yet the blood flows in the streets of his city. Shame, George Heartwell, shame. The citizens of Grand Rapids deserve a real leader, not an emotional basket case who gets knots in his stomach at the sight of a lawfully armed, law abiding citizen. How would he react to a REAL crisis? Loss of bladder control?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

so anyone here remember when we first became a shall issue state, that MI stated in no uncertain terms that they reserve the right to make firearms laws, and how Wayne Co said screw you MI we are going to do what we want, and how they had their rear handed to them in court....

Bingo you got it right on target (no pun intended) this Nazi regime mentality needs to be recalled fast. Recall the Mayor and every city council member who agrees with this stupidity. They are acting like Dictators.

The word for today is RECALL.

Quote Originally Posted by mastiff69 View Post

As I understand it the mayor won his reelection by a landslide, He won't be recalled.

Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    Bingo you got it right on target (no pun intended) this Nazi regime mentality needs to be recalled fast. Recall the Mayor and every city council member who agrees with this stupidity. They are acting like Dictators.

The word for today is RECALL.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

He said to the affect that when the 2nd amendment gets in the way of people exercising their 1st amendment rights he would err on the side of the 1st amendment.
    He's projecting. Carrying a gun does not imply intent to censor.

Don't bet on it, many people are now fed up since this latest media and State dept gun grab mentality. Anything is possible, and maybe we need to start recalling these despots.

As I understand it the mayor won his reelection by a landslide, He won't be recalled.

Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Alphamale I would however bet on it, Grand Rapids residence will not come out to recall Mr Heartwell. He might be able to be beaten in the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    Don't bet on it, many people are now fed up since this latest media and State dept gun grab mentality. Anything is possible, and maybe we need to start recalling these despots.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Mis-informed Mayor

More mis-information. Heartwell talks about SB59 and has it all backwards! SB59 would have banned OC from the places he stated, but since it was not signed, those are places to OC WITH a CPL.

He also states that the state legislature banned handguns from the Senate Chambers?? I was under the impression that people on here had carried there?

And he states that is Good to confuse people with the city ordinance!

Need to get some responses to that video up with correct information! ANyone have a Google account?

MI_XD