• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal proof for ability to open carry in PFZ's with CPL

dkutchukk

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but after searching this site, I couldn't find what I was looking for. Hopefully this makes it a little easier for people to find if they have the same problem that I did.
2002 Michigan OAG no. 7113
http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10188.htm

If anyone has any other resource for the legality of OC in PFZ's with CPL, please post it. I am going to put in my application for a CPL on Friday, and am trying to cover all bases and have all info and resources saved to my phone.

Edit: I was also told on Friday by my CPL class instructor that PFZ's applied to open carry as well (which I understood from this site to be false), so I am hoping to get all supporting documentation and provide it to him as well so he can provide the students with accurate, verifiable information.

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
You cannot easily prove that somthing is lawful unless you have a court case specifically and clearly holding so - very rare. You can prove that somthing is lawful by finding a court case or approved jury instruction that very clearly lays out the law, elements of offense, implied and written into statute or common law cases.

But we know that teh legislature just tried to make open carry unlawful in these zones, e.g., schools, by a bill - and that bill would have legalized concealed carry there - but the governor vetoed it. That bill story sort of paints a clear picture of the law in Michigan right now - if you have a CPL, you can OPEN CARRY only in many places that concealed carry is banned, e.g., schools.