• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In vehicle?

glitch666

First off, Hello! Im new to open carrying, I live in Washington. I know we are an open carry state but my issue is using my vehicle while open carrying? I know that it must be unloaded and not concealed on my person, so can I leave it in my holster on my hip as long as it isn't loaded and not covered by any clothing?
EDIT: Also I have to drive through a school zone on my way to work, can I still carry in a vehicle?

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Welcome to OCDO. Now go over to the WA state specific forum, and do some reading/studying. If you have a CPL you do not need to unload when you get in the car, other wise it can be any where in the car as long as it is unloaded.

glitch666

I have been reading the Washington forum for about 3 days and can't find the answers I'm looking for. I don't have my col yet. I just really need to know if its ok to carry it unloaded in my holster in my car without a cpl, or should I remove it and leave it on the seat unloaded. Thanks again.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
RCW 9.41.280 (Carry on School Grounds), RCW 9.41.300 (Weapons Prohibited in Certain Places), and RCW 70.108.150 (Firearms in Outdoor Music Festivals). It is your responsibility to read and understand the definitions and exceptions in the law. RCW 9.41.050 is the primary law which affects gun carrying on a day to day basis. This law makes it unlawful for one to conceal a pistol without a concealed pistol license (hereinafter called CPL), and also makes it unlawful for one to carry a loaded pistol in any vehicle, whether it be openly carried or concealed carried unless a person has a valid CPL(see RCW 9.41.060 on Exceptions). Loaded is defined as having ammunition inside of the gun itself (magazine inserted with ammunition with semi-auto, ammunition in cylinder for revolvers). Localities may also prohibit the carrying of handguns in the stadiums and convention centers that they operate, however they MUST exempt those who possess a concealed pistol license. There are also federal statutes you must be cognizant of: 18 USC 922 (q), which prohibit the carrying of a handgun within 1000 feet of a school unless you are licensed to carry or meet another exemption to this law.

You may carry loaded either openly or concealed in or on any vehicle if you possess a CPL (RCW 9.41.050 (2a)). No CPL then it must be unloaded (magazine removed).

Can I carry at or near a school? (RCW 9.41.280)
If you have a valid CPL and are picking up or dropping off a student you are allowed on the school grounds. Firearms are not permitted in school buildings.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Open-Carry

Last edited: