• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another politician who doesnt get it...

IA_farmboy

I saw a similar article earlier today and I'm not pleased. It reminded me of a comment made by Tom Gresham on his Gun Talk podcast this last Sunday, this is where the house to house searches will start. The only way the government can enforce a gun confiscation is to do away with the Bill of Rights.

I thought these elected "representatives" (that title seems to be of little meaning since this man does not appear to represent the desires of those that elected him) took an oath to defend the constitution of both the state and of the federation. It's one thing to deny people the ability to obtain such items in the future, it's a whole new level of insanity to deny people the property they already own.

Does anyone recall their history on how the American war for independence started? It started with gun confiscation. If this "representative" wants to take our guns then he is going to have to expect someone not doing this willingly. There will be blood. The only question in my mind is who will shoot first, the government or the citizen?

This man needs to be removed from office before someone gets hurt. That is not a threat, just a reminder of our history.

Tucker6900

It appears his term will be ending in Febuary. We should do what we can to make sure he doesnt get back in.

Carry a Sig

Too late he already got back in. I sent him an email about his comments. He responded and based on that, I think he is a joke and arrogant ...... We need to engage the rest of our "representatives" and intelligently persuade them to fight any gun control.

Daniel Muhlbauer
State Representative
Democrat
More Information
Home County: Crawford
Dates Served: 01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015
District: 12

I would like to see the state of Iowa do something like Montana and others are doing. Making any federal anti-gun (AWB) illegal in the state and a felony to take them.

Just my two cents.

IA_farmboy

I would like to see the state of Iowa do something like Montana and others are doing. Making any federal anti-gun (AWB) illegal in the state and a felony to take them.

Agreed. For this to have any teeth I'd think we'd need some sort of "sheriffs first" law to go with it. For this to work someone would have to be tasked with enforcement and the sheriff seems to be the most logical choice. The sheriff is an elected law enforcement officer, someone that is accountable to the people directly as opposed to a the head of the state police or city police which is typically an appointed position.

Also, for this to be meaningful we'd have to have some sort of law to allow for the manufacture and sale of these items within the state without first requiring the permission of the federal government. This is quite likely the law you are referring to, Carry a Sig. (BTW, I like the nick you chose even though I have a fondness for Colts.)

Just my two cents.

Likewise.

It concerns me greatly that our elected officials have such an ignorance of and/or disrespect for the words, meaning, history, and intent of the federal and state constitutions. These people seem to lack an ability to comprehend the dangers they pose to themselves, the people that voted them into office, and the future of the republic they swore to defend. I've read my history and the most vile dictators did not come into power and take our weapons from us, they came into power after a seemingly benevolent government convinced the people that they would be safer if they disarmed themselves. These tyrants and murders did not take the weapons from their victims, the people gave them willingly to their predecessors in exchange for the promise of continued peace.

Many people might claim that such tyranny cannot come to our shores because we have free elections and term limits on high offices. I have to ask, how long will these free elections last once we have given up our arms? How can we be sure a term limit remains if there is no one capable of removing a tyrant from office by force?

I read my history and found that while history does not repeat it certainly does rhyme. I've heard this tune before and I don't like how the song ends.

Tucker6900

Too late he already got back in. I sent him an email about his comments. He responded and based on that, I think he is a joke and arrogant ...... We need to engage the rest of our "representatives" and intelligently persuade them to fight any gun control.

Daniel Muhlbauer
State Representative
Democrat
More Information
Home County: Crawford
Dates Served: 01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015
District: 12

Just my two cents.

Now, I am a die hard, "US Constitution is the only one that matters" kind of guy, but does anyone here think that the lack of "2A" type proteciton in the IA Constitution will hurt us? What those states are purposing is that the grabbers would be in violation of not only 2A, but state law as well.