Thread: Washington Post prints OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk's letter re Biden work group

Super Moderator

Washington Post prints OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk's letter re Biden work group

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...dfa_story.html

Letter to the Editor
    Find legal avenues for gun policies
    Published: January 8, 2013

Several of the policy initiatives being considered by Vice President Biden’s working group [“Broad strategy on guns weighed,” front page, Jan. 6] appear to be plainly unconstitutional (e.g., to “stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools” and to ban “ammunition magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds”). In 1995 the Supreme Court held in U.S. v. Lopez that the federal government did not have the power to ban people from carrying a gun near a school, and in 2008 the Supreme Court held in District of Columbia v. Heller that the federal government did not have the power to ban possession of a handgun that held 12 rounds. Biden’s working group should focus on options that are within the power of the federal government.

Mike Stollenwerk, Alexandria
    The writer is co-founder of OpenCarry.org
    Last edited by Mike; 01-09-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    It's almost unheard of to get a pro-gun and pro-Constitution letter published in the Washington ComPost. I know, I've tried it a number of times. The Washington Times and the Arlington County Journal have both published my letters a number of times, but not the ComPost.

Perhaps you were their token of the month (year?) with your letter. Incidentally, well done.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.