• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Post prints OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk's letter re Biden work group

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...6d53f6-58f1-11e2-b8b2-0d18a64c8dfa_story.html

Letter to the Editor
Find legal avenues for gun policies
Published: January 8, 2013

Several of the policy initiatives being considered by Vice President Biden’s working group [“Broad strategy on guns weighed,” front page, Jan. 6] appear to be plainly unconstitutional (e.g., to “stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools” and to ban “ammunition magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds”). In 1995 the Supreme Court held in U.S. v. Lopez that the federal government did not have the power to ban people from carrying a gun near a school, and in 2008 the Supreme Court held in District of Columbia v. Heller that the federal government did not have the power to ban possession of a handgun that held 12 rounds. Biden’s working group should focus on options that are within the power of the federal government.

Mike Stollenwerk, Alexandria
The writer is co-founder of OpenCarry.org

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It's almost unheard of to get a pro-gun and pro-Constitution letter published in the Washington ComPost. I know, I've tried it a number of times. The Washington Times and the Arlington County Journal have both published my letters a number of times, but not the ComPost.

Perhaps you were their token of the month (year?) with your letter. Incidentally, well done.