Thread: Wood TV 8 - Citizens open carry at Grand Rapids city council meeting

Moderator / Administrator

Wood TV 8 - Citizens open carry at Grand Rapids city council meeting

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...ission-meeting

SNIP

GR City Commission previous actions

Top GR officials get pay raises

The Grand Rapids city manager, city attorney and city treasurer…

GR Comptroller Donijo DeJonge resigns

She was appointed, then elected, then tried to convince voters …

GR water, sewer rates less for 2013

Lower operating costs, a result of the City of Grand Rapids …

Latinos ask GR for driver's license aid

The Grand Rapids City Commission chambers were packed Tuesday …

Decriminalize pot debate at commission

The conflict over a charter amendment that decriminalized …

Commission OKs lower water, sewer rates

The City of Grand Rapids, which distributes water and collects …

Youth Center organizers get extension

Efforts to develop a youth center at Grand Rapids' Martin …

More Commission »

Advertisement

Open carry supporters at commission mtg

Say GR ordinance conflicts with state law

Updated: Wednesday, 09 Jan 2013, 7:55 AM EST
    Published : Tuesday, 08 Jan 2013, 11:04 PM EST

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Some people brought their guns to the Tuesday evening Grand Rapids City Commission meeting, hoping to get an ordinance changed.

The Grand Rapids ordinance they want changed reads, "No person shall draw, handle or flourish any firearm in any public street, alley or other place open to the public in the City of Grand Rapids."

. . .

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

OMG the children!

I feel for those poor people.... and the children! my GOD the children!!! haveing to look at your firearms, lord have mercy!

What I'm trying to figure out, why bring children to a city council meeting? School project, or what?
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Actually a Park project that really sounds good to me. Also an opportunity to let children learn how local government works or in the case of the gun ordinance does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    What I'm trying to figure out, why bring children to a city council meeting? School project, or what?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

From the comments:

Yet, Heartwell has not advanced any ideas on how to deal with the root cause of gun violence; he just demonizes an inanimate object, marginalizes law abiding citizens, and yet the blood flows in the streets of his city. Shame, George Heartwell, shame. The citizens of Grand Rapids deserve a real leader, not an emotional basket case who gets knots in his stomach at the sight of a lawfully armed, law abiding citizen. How would he react to a REAL crisis? Loss of bladder control?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Re: Wood TV 8 - Citizens open carry at Grand Rapids city council meeting

A quick question - the issue is with the draw part of the ordinance because it could be used against non cpl holders who must draw to disarm before getting in their vehicle? I watched the video mike posted. Phil did a good job on the interview - all five seconds they gave him.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

I was wondering if there might be an event scheduled for the next Grand Rapids concil meeting because I think it would be great to have even more oc at the next meeting even signs I would be there and my hubby too!

Quote Originally Posted by Amandat View Post
    I was wondering if there might be an event scheduled for the next Grand Rapids concil meeting because I think it would be great to have even more oc at the next meeting even signs I would be there and my hubby too!
    On Jan 22nd there will be another GR Commission meeting. I hope that there will be many people from here there. I suggest if people do come that they prepare a statement that is under 3 minutes and dress nicely. How you dress should not matter but in reality it does. During the meeting we should all be respectful and polite.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Wood TV 8 - Citizens open carry at Grand Rapids city council meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Actually a Park project that really sounds good to me. Also an opportunity to let children learn how local government works or in the case of the gun ordinance does not work.
    A park project that is so good they have to steal $500 from every resident in a 3 block radius.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Re: Wood TV 8 - Citizens open carry at Grand Rapids city council meeting

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    A park project that is so good they have to steal $500 from every resident in a 3 block radius.
    And this is why the government frowns so much on theft. They hate competition! Man these people really make me want to hop in the car and take what would amont to a three day drive.

Bless all of you who are holding their hoofs to the fire. :thumbup:
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-12-2013 at 01:27 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi