• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wood TV 8 - Citizens open carry at Grand Rapids city council meeting

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/open-carry-supporters-attend-gr-commission-meeting

SNIP

GR City Commission previous actions

Top GR officials get pay raises

The Grand Rapids city manager, city attorney and city treasurer…

GR Comptroller Donijo DeJonge resigns

She was appointed, then elected, then tried to convince voters …

GR water, sewer rates less for 2013

Lower operating costs, a result of the City of Grand Rapids …

Latinos ask GR for driver's license aid

The Grand Rapids City Commission chambers were packed Tuesday …

Decriminalize pot debate at commission

The conflict over a charter amendment that decriminalized …

Commission OKs lower water, sewer rates

The City of Grand Rapids, which distributes water and collects …

Youth Center organizers get extension

Efforts to develop a youth center at Grand Rapids' Martin …

More Commission »

Advertisement

Open carry supporters at commission mtg

Say GR ordinance conflicts with state law

Updated: Wednesday, 09 Jan 2013, 7:55 AM EST
Published : Tuesday, 08 Jan 2013, 11:04 PM EST

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Some people brought their guns to the Tuesday evening Grand Rapids City Commission meeting, hoping to get an ordinance changed.

The Grand Rapids ordinance they want changed reads, "No person shall draw, handle or flourish any firearm in any public street, alley or other place open to the public in the City of Grand Rapids."

. . .

Raggs

Actually a Park project that really sounds good to me. Also an opportunity to let children learn how local government works or in the case of the gun ordinance does not work.

What I'm trying to figure out, why bring children to a city council meeting? School project, or what?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
From the comments:

Yet, Heartwell has not advanced any ideas on how to deal with the root cause of gun violence; he just demonizes an inanimate object, marginalizes law abiding citizens, and yet the blood flows in the streets of his city. Shame, George Heartwell, shame. The citizens of Grand Rapids deserve a real leader, not an emotional basket case who gets knots in his stomach at the sight of a lawfully armed, law abiding citizen. How would he react to a REAL crisis? Loss of bladder control?

FreeInAZ

A quick question - the issue is with the draw part of the ordinance because it could be used against non cpl holders who must draw to disarm before getting in their vehicle? I watched the video mike posted. Phil did a good job on the interview - all five seconds they gave him.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Amandat

I was wondering if there might be an event scheduled for the next Grand Rapids concil meeting because I think it would be great to have even more oc at the next meeting even signs I would be there and my hubby too!

Raggs

I was wondering if there might be an event scheduled for the next Grand Rapids concil meeting because I think it would be great to have even more oc at the next meeting even signs I would be there and my hubby too!

On Jan 22nd there will be another GR Commission meeting. I hope that there will be many people from here there. I suggest if people do come that they prepare a statement that is under 3 minutes and dress nicely. How you dress should not matter but in reality it does. During the meeting we should all be respectful and polite.

TheQ

Actually a Park project that really sounds good to me. Also an opportunity to let children learn how local government works or in the case of the gun ordinance does not work.

A park project that is so good they have to steal $500 from every resident in a 3 block radius.

FreeInAZ

A park project that is so good they have to steal $500 from every resident in a 3 block radius.

And this is why the government frowns so much on theft. They hate competition! Man these people really make me want to hop in the car and take what would amont to a three day drive. :mad:

Bless all of you who are holding their hoofs to the fire. :thumbup:

Last edited: