• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I found an inexpensive shoulder holster that fits the Springfield XDs.45

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I've been meaning to try a shoulder holster with my XDs but didn't want to lay out $100 or more for something I might not like. Last week my searches led me onto eBay and a seller called Outbags USA. In looking through the holster descriptions I found one for the Bursa Thunder here. Model # OB-29SH. The dimensions listed were almost exactly the size of the XDs! It was 600 denier nylon with a double mag pouch that fits both the 5 and 7 round mags, and an adjustable thumb break for $19.99! Free shipping and it's made in the USA.

It came on Saturday and I verified that the workmanship was very nice and the holster fit was tight, but acceptable. I wrapped the gun in a plastic bag and left it holstered overnight. On Sunday the draw and reholster were much better so I adjusted the gun and mag positions, plus the hold down straps and the thumb break to my liking and wore it all day around the house with my unloaded XDs. Very comfortable.

2zedyes.jpg

34iimpv.jpg

2l95uyr.jpg

There are more pictures of it on the eBay page.

"Why carry unloaded?", you ask. I've never owned a shoulder holster with thumb break before so I knew it would take some practice to develop the muscle memory to draw my XDs quickly and safely. Snap caps are my friend.
Warning!
The tendency when drawing from a shoulder holster is to sweep your own weak side arm... not good. The technique most recommended is to put your weak side hand on the opposite shoulder and lift up your elbow until the muzzle clears your arm at which time your weak side hand comes down to complete the two handed grip. There is an illustrated article on the Cornered Cat website which shows how to start out with your arms crossed in a seemingly innocent gesture which puts you at an advantage over the bad guy; very cool. You have been warned; if you shoot your arm off and bleed out, it's your fault, not mine.

The holster appears to be well made of a material that isn't quite as thin and concealable as a leather type; but for a minimal outlay of cash I will be able to find out if this method of carry is something I want to adopt, and I have given a small American company some business.
:D

Trapper-Randy

I found that they make one to fit my Pt99. I thought about trying one out to see if I like wearing a shouler holster before I buy an expensive leather one.

T-R

Motofixxer

I bought an ankle holster off Ebay too. It was cheap and Made in US and has the snap thumbreak. I also have a nylon vertical shoulder with the snap thumbreak. I definitely recommend the snap over velcro. I just watched a video recently of a police chase that ended in a foot pursuit. An unmarked\off duty officer jumped out of his truck and reached down to grab his firearm from his ankle. He struggled with it for a little bit to draw it, wasting precious time. I'm guessing he had velcro or something. I'm used to my Safariland ALS thumb release for OC, so to activate the snap thumbreak is very natural.

Trapper-Randy

Ok I ordered a shoulder holster from Outbags USA on Ebay. It came in the mail yesterday and I did not get home till late last night so I have not had much time to mess with it. So far it looks to be very well made and my Taurus PT99 seems to fit nice and tight.I am sure it will loosen up some. And as stated above MADE IN USA!

T-R

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have worn shoulder holsters for over 30 years from very expensive all leather to cheap all nylon. The one a wore the most every working day for 25 years was a combination of both.

I took a custom leather holster made for my 3913 with thumb strap mated it with a home made nylon harness attached to the other side to uncle mikes plastic part. Then added a home made single nylon mag pouch attached to that.

Very comfortable light weight secure. I could carry all shift and hardly know it was there.

I have several mix and match shoulder holsters depending on the need and hand gun.

pattyman

shoulder holster

I have been considering a shoulder holster for my full size xd 45. I am about 6'2" and 270 lb. First, does this
Dealer make them for the full size xd 45? If so, would it be large enough for me and comfortably so? Thanks.