• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan newb to OC -Michigan-

Hello all ya Michiganders, just recently purchased my first pistol a few days past my birthday (23 yrs old) and new to the site :)

anyhow , trying to get some confirmation here as i am very new to OC... but not to guns as I have fired them in the back yard & at the Pontiac state recreation range many times since i was a little guy ;)

so...

as far as I understand (been doing lots of reading on the subject), a non CPL holder doing open carry (visibly carrying in a holster, uncovered!!) is legal as long as you dont go to off limit areas such as
1. A bank.
2. A church
3. A court
4. A theatre
5. A sports arena
6. A day care center
7. A hospital.
8. An establishment licensed under the
Michigan liquor control act.

now, I see post every so often from Michiganders but am unsure if im following correctly.. a bank is apparently off limits, but i swear Ive read somewhere as long as its not a federal reserve bank its ok... or is that for a CPL holder?

and as for transportation:
if I were to drive to for example, Subway for lunch... the pistol would need to be inside the case locked in the trunk of my car on the way there, but upon arrival it would be lawful to pop the trunk and remove the case with the pistol from the vehicle and place it anywhere outside of the vehicle such as the top of the trunk lid, hood, ground etc. and then proceed with loading it and placing in the holster then i would be ok to walk in and proceed with my usual business correct?

then say that i was told that firearms were not allowed on the property by a manager/employee/owner I would be required to leave immediately.. no distractions, straight to the car.. grab the case from the trunk and return it to the case outside of the vehicle again and leave the premises

walking around town down the sidewalks/roads is fair game as long as it is visible and in a holster too?

and lastly, i have been pondering and seem to be unable to find a certain answer anywhere online..
in the spring time i spend alot of time in the state parks, walking/hiking/harvesting seasonal fruits/vegetables... is it legal to open carry everywhere in the state park or only in hunting zoned sections?.. and also while ice fishing on a lake with a public access its fair game to OC too?

sorry for my ignorance or if i seemed to drag on, but in my opinion there is no stupid questions. :cool:
and if this is posted in the wrong section, i apologize.. i felt the Michigan section would get the most hits pertaining to Michigan

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

as far as I understand (been doing lots of reading on the subject), a non CPL holder doing open carry (visibly carrying in a holster, uncovered!!) is legal as long as you dont go to off limit areas such as
1. A bank.
2. A church
3. A court
4. A theatre
5. A sports arena
6. A day care center
7. A hospital.
8. An establishment licensed under the
Michigan liquor control act.
That list + schools (750.237a). And places like Meijer that have a liquor license are off limits if you do not have a CPL.
now, I see post every so often from Michiganders but am unsure if im following correctly.. a bank is apparently off limits, but i swear Ive read somewhere as long as its not a federal reserve bank its ok... or is that for a CPL holder?
Yes, that only applies to a CPL holder

and as for transportation:
if I were to drive to for example, Subway for lunch... the pistol would need to be inside the case locked in the trunk of my car on the way there, but upon arrival it would be lawful to pop the trunk and remove the case with the pistol from the vehicle and place it anywhere outside of the vehicle such as the top of the trunk lid, hood, ground etc. and then proceed with loading it and placing in the holster then i would be ok to walk in and proceed with my usual business correct?
Reference 750.231a and 750.227 (2)

then say that i was told that firearms were not allowed on the property by a manager/employee/owner I would be required to leave immediately.. no distractions, straight to the car.. grab the case from the trunk and return it to the case outside of the vehicle again and leave the premises
Yes, if it's private property and they ask you to leave you must leave. If they ask you to take the gun to your car you can do that. For me though, if I was asked to take my gun to my car I would simply leave in most situations.

walking around town down the sidewalks/roads is fair game as long as it is visible and in a holster too?
Yeah pretty much. Localities are preempted in Michigan. 123.1102

and lastly, i have been pondering and seem to be unable to find a certain answer anywhere online..
in the spring time i spend alot of time in the state parks, walking/hiking/harvesting seasonal fruits/vegetables... is it legal to open carry everywhere in the state park or only in hunting zoned sections?.. and also while ice fishing on a lake with a public access its fair game to OC too?
As far as I know you're legal everywhere if it's a state park.

sorry for my ignorance or if i seemed to drag on, but in my opinion there is no stupid questions. :cool:
and if this is posted in the wrong section, i apologize.. i felt the Michigan section would get the most hits pertaining to Michigan
No problem. You seem to have attempted to do your homework and have a fairly good understanding of the laws. I'd suggesting making sure you know the laws incredibly well especially when OCing without a CPL. May help to find someone in your area who is a veteran OCer to meet with for lunch and discuss OC.

ETA: I AM NOT A LAWYER

Last edited:
That list + schools (750.237a). And places like Meijer that have a liquor license are off limits if you do not have a CPL.

Yes, that only applies to a CPL holder

Reference 750.231a and 750.227 (2)

Yes, if it's private property and they ask you to leave you must leave. If they ask you to take the gun to your car you can do that. For me though, if I was asked to take my gun to my car I would simply leave in most situations.

Yeah pretty much. Localities are preempted in Michigan. 123.1102

As far as I know you're legal everywhere if it's a state park.

No problem. You seem to have attempted to do your homework and have a fairly good understanding of the laws. I'd suggesting making sure you know the laws incredibly well especially when OCing without a CPL. May help to find someone in your area who is a veteran OCer to meet with for lunch and discuss OC.

ETA: I AM NOT A LAWYER

Thanks for your input ;) ill go over the MCL's now

I wouldnt mind going to a meetup eventually... when i get some time, winter is kinda goofy with work scheduling.

as for OC'ing without a CPL that would only be temporary as a few guys at work are talking about doing a class for CPL License, Once the CPL is obtained i would much rather CC than OC :p

i understand you may not be a lawyer.. and i do realize this is the internet where anyone can say anything they want :lol:
Im sure that most people on here are pretty accurate with theyre information though.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Thanks for your input ;) ill go over the MCL's now

I wouldnt mind going to a meetup eventually... when i get some time, winter is kinda goofy with work scheduling.

as for OC'ing without a CPL that would only be temporary as a few guys at work are talking about doing a class for CPL License, Once the CPL is obtained i would much rather CC than OC :p

i understand you may not be a lawyer.. and i do realize this is the internet where anyone can say anything they want :lol:
Im sure that most people on here are pretty accurate with theyre information though.

You'll find a good amount of people on here who know Michigan's carry laws quite well. And I understand CC once you get a CPL. The only reason I started OCing was because I wanted to be able to carry but I was 18 (20 now). I'm really just waiting to turn 21 so I can get my CPL. I'm sure I'll still OC but I'd probably CC more often.

FreeInAZ

It could be seen as bad form to come to a OC site and talk about how you can't wait to CC. Just saying. You wouldn't tell a plain girl she's getting dumped as soon as you find a hot chick, would you?:p

MikeTheGreek

You'll find a good amount of people on here who know Michigan's carry laws quite well. And I understand CC once you get a CPL. The only reason I started OCing was because I wanted to be able to carry but I was 18 (20 now). I'm really just waiting to turn 21 so I can get my CPL. I'm sure I'll still OC but I'd probably CC more often.

I only planned on OCing until I got my CPL. Once I got it...I CC'd a few times, and didn't really like it as much. Well..I do carry a full size 3lb firearm, so that may be why but I think even with a smaller one I'd still OC. It's way more comfortable.

so over all it seems to be ok to OC a firearm without a CPL based on what i read.. but interactions with officers may become a little more difficult which kind of makes me weary of OC'ing a firearm prior to me getting the CPL... and in general it would be pretty inconvenient to load and unload every time getting in and out of a vehicle... which would also look "suspicious" with all this recent sillyness the news is spewing about.

Guess im gonna have to wait another month or so to go to class for the CPL then ill OC and CC ;)

Thanks guys.