• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to purchase handgun ammo??

Wulf.45

Hey guys, looking for a little advice on purchasing handgun ammo. I'm 20, and I legally OC my .45 1911 around Greensboro. I have bought .22 rimfire before, but obviously that can be either handgun or rifle. I know that North Carolina General Statute G.S. § 14-315 "prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, giving away, or in any way transferring to a person under the age of 18, any pistol cartridge,
brass knucks, Bowie Knife, dirk, shurikin, loaded cane, or slingshot." So, As far as I can tell, NC law DOES NOT prohibit me from buying handgun ammo, however I ran across an ATF link about handgun ammo prohibited to anyone under 21, I'm not sure where that link citation went, but curious as to if any of you guys would know about that. Also, if it is the case where I cannot buy ammo from a FFL dealer, is Wal-Mart considered an FFL Dealer anymore? Thanks

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Hey guys, looking for a little advice on purchasing handgun ammo. I'm 20, and I legally OC my .45 1911 around Greensboro. I have bought .22 rimfire before, but obviously that can be either handgun or rifle. I know that North Carolina General Statute G.S. § 14-315 "prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, giving away, or in any way transferring to a person under the age of 18, any pistol cartridge,
brass knucks, Bowie Knife, dirk, shurikin, loaded cane, or slingshot." So, As far as I can tell, NC law DOES NOT prohibit me from buying handgun ammo, however I ran across an ATF link about handgun ammo prohibited to anyone under 21, I'm not sure where that link citation went, but curious as to if any of you guys would know about that. Also, if it is the case where I cannot buy ammo from a FFL dealer, is Wal-Mart considered an FFL Dealer anymore? Thanks

Walmart is a FFL dealer. You may be able to buy the components, I buy them online without ID, other than Credit Card. Not sure if a relative can buy the ammo for you. I do not believe the law restricts possession, just the purchase of handgun ammo.

EMNofSeattle

Walmart is a FFL dealer. You may be able to buy the components, I buy them online without ID, other than Credit Card. Not sure if a relative can buy the ammo for you. I do not believe the law restricts possession, just the purchase of handgun ammo.

It doesn't restrict the purchase, it restricts the transfer, the dealer is the one who would be breaking the law.

I don't believe you can "straw purchase" ammo, only firearms. because a 4473 and background check aren't required to purchase ammo. I don't know, I avoid the delimna.. all my ammo is either gifted or re-loaded, i've never asked someone else to buy ammo for me...

the law says this

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age

The OP can only purchase ammo for use in a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer. If the OP owns a rifle chambered in .45 ACP he technically could legally buy said ammo, but since the ammo is for a handgun he could not legally purchase from anyone holding an FFL or C&R license.

Buying powder, bullets, and primer, then collecting brass for reloads may be your best bet, saves you money too.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Buying powder, bullets, and primer, then collecting brass for reloads may be your best bet, saves you money too.

While this is true it may not make sense for someone who does not intend on continuing the practice of reloading. Getting started will probably cost him over $200. A Lee kit is $175 not including shipping. And the supply of 45 ACP brass is drying up fast, even primers are getting hard to get. Prices of components are going to go up. He could go the route of the Lee Loader, I think they go for around $40, but it is crude way to reload.

EMNofSeattle

While this is true it may not make sense for someone who does not intend on continuing the practice of reloading. Getting started will probably cost him over $200. A Lee kit is $175 not including shipping. And the supply of 45 ACP brass is drying up fast, even primers are getting hard to get. Prices of components are going to go up. He could go the route of the Lee Loader, I think they go for around $40, but it is crude way to reload.

I use a lee-loader

but my only handgun is a .38 special revolver

and .38 stuff is in great supply.
it sucks to have to use a lee-loader yes, but it's the only way for me to practically and legally make enough ammo for practice.
also though, most of my "reloads" are actually wax bullet with a primer and no powder. so I can practice in my garage.

I don't make that much actual .38 special ammo, i only get to a range for full power ammo once every few months unfortunatley.